Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times

Advertisements

Booker reminds me of one of my favorite players of all time. Fred Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Rumors of Broncos/Eagles trade......Bradford to Denver for Roby and a 4th rounder.

Don't do it, Denver.
That brings up an interesting question.

Denver fans, would you rather have Bradford or Sanchez as your starting quarterback for this season? To me, there is really no on the field difference between the two. But when you consider salary and what it would cost to get Bradford, it is a no brainer, I am taking Sanchez.

I think Bradford is the most overrated and overpaid athlete (compared to performance) in the NFL.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:02 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
That brings up an interesting question.

Denver fans, would you rather have Bradford or Sanchez as your starting quarterback for this season? To me, there is really no on the field difference between the two. But when you consider salary and what it would cost to get Bradford, it is a no brainer, I am taking Sanchez.

I think Bradford is the most overrated and overpaid athlete (compared to performance) in the NFL.
Sanchez all the way. I don't trust Bradford with his injury history. Sanchez has had his fair share of injuries too but I consider injuries (at least at this point) to be defining of Bradford's career and I simply don't trust a player like that.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:09 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
I saw quite a few eagles games last year. Trust me, you want Sanchez. He can't be any worse than Peyton was last year. And with that D, all you need is average QB play at best.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM

The problem with that line of thinking though is that pretty much every starting QB last year plus probably half the back ups in the league could at least match Peyton's production or efficiency. But was last year one of those rare anommalies? We've seen teams win with great defenses and sub par QB play. But I don't recall the Ravens or Bucs of the early 2000's ever repeating or even going back to the super bowl.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The problem with that line of thinking though is that pretty much every starting QB last year plus probably half the back ups in the league could at least match Peyton's production or efficiency. But was last year one of those rare anommalies? We've seen teams win with great defenses and sub par QB play. But I don't recall the Ravens or Bucs of the early 2000's ever repeating or even going back to the super bowl.
In the last 30 years only 4 teams repeated a Super Bowl appearance and of them, only 2 (Broncos and Patriots) actually pulled off the repeat. The Packers (1996-1997) and Seahawks (2013-2014) fell just short of the feat. My point: Why are we so quick to single out the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs as if they're proof positive a team cannot repeat using this formula? The comparison is a bit of a non-starter.

Then again, it really isn't unreasonable to expect the Broncos to improve on offense. The O-line is a bigger question mark than the QB. The team appears to have upgraded talent, but a lot of turnover on the line means there could be continuity issues until they settle in. I have a feeling the coaches are going to mitigate this by really stressing run blocking so the excel at it even in early in the season. With good run blocking this is an entirely different offense in 2016. And with the luxury of a good running game the team requires less of Sanchez. Regarding Sanchez, the pass blocking being marginal won't be as great a detriment this year as it was last. Sanchez can do the rollouts and bootlegs in the Kubiak offense, Manning...not so much.

I haven't seen too many Broncos fans seriously predict a repeat for all the reasons we've discussed here and in other threads. But they are definitely going to have a shot.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:49 PM

Of course they will have a shot. But if you want to go back or even get close to getting back, best to have a good QB.

No sense in playing with fire if you don't have to. Unfortunately it looks like the Broncos have no choice. Although I still think Fitz would have been a safer play for them.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Of course they will have a shot. But if you want to go back or even get close to getting back, best to have a good QB.

No sense in playing with fire if you don't have to. Unfortunately it looks like the Broncos have no choice. Although I still think Fitz would have been a safer play for them.
The singe biggest improvement the team can make on offense is reduce turnovers. Manning and Oz combined for 23 interceptions. Then you have the fumbles, too. If the Broncos can reduce turnovers by 40% it would really help the defense. That unit didn't get much help at all out of the offense last year and still was lights out. Returning 9 of 11 starters gives and being in the 2nd year of the system should be cause to expect a similarly dominant defense this year. And if they can make those improvements on offense, this team is definitely a contender again.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:16 AM

Based on where they put the Broncos drafting, Football Outsiders is predicting a 6-10 or 7-9 season for the Broncos. A lot of other early predictions for this team aren't much better. The assumption is they've regressed significantly and the Chiefs and Raiders have gotten better.

I think the Chargers and Raiders definitely have gotten better. The Chargers aren't getting swept by the AFC West again. The Raiders may be a playoff team. The Chiefs definitely haven't gotten worse, but I don't think they got better overall either. Improvements on one side of the ball are offset by losses on the other. With the Broncos still a force, and the improvements by the Raiders and Chargers, I think it's going to the Chiefs that appears to regress this year.

I actually really like stuff like this because it makes the season a lot more enjoyable when the Broncos prove doubters wrong. For example, last year some people had written them off as a 9-7 team that would be one-n-done in the playoffs or miss them outright. They did get a lot of benefit of the doubt, to be fair. A good number of people had them winning the west, but an equal number (maybe slightly more) had the Chiefs penciled in. All of this makes for a very exciting off season. This is a transitional period for the Broncos post-Manning. Elway has said he wants to win "from now on" but outside Dove Valley the narrative is the Broncos went all in with Manning and once he leaves the Broncos will enter an extended rebuild. While I believe that narrative is a bit simplistic and ignores a lot of the young talent this team has, I am glad it exists because it makes the Broncos a worth while subject of debate to get us through the off season.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/5...inish-with-6-7

Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Nothing more annoying than reading all these articles with "experts" making random predictions in MAY.

They don't know jack squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football