Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Interesting article regarding Jay Cutler and the Broncos, start to finish:

Why I Drafted Jay Cutler, and What Happened from There | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:04 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss McDork
Shortly after Josh McDaniels moved into his office at Dove Valley, he called in Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, for a closed-door meeting. The story goes that McDaniels began with a 20-minute dissertation of his resume, how he'd worked his way up the ranks in New England to become Bill Belichick's right-hand man with the offense and how the team would have been nowhere the year before without his tutelage of backup Matt Cassel. He continued on with justification of his hiring by Bowlen.

After the perplexing recitation of accomplishments, McDaniels suddenly shifted gears.

He began to bash and berate Cutler and his game to the tune of a verbal flogging neither had ever witnessed. The expletive-laden diatribe went on for a few minutes, after which Cook stood up and told Cutler they were leaving. As they walked down the long hallway past Bowlen's office, Cutler turned to Bus and said, "Get me out of here. I don't care how you do it."
Yeah, this is where Josh McDidiot sabotaged the Broncos' season, right from the very start.

Now bear in mind, this was pretty much Josh's first pr move and action as Broncos' head coach at that time.

So McMoron, what's your backup plan? Tim TeabWho?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Interesting article regarding Jay Cutler and the Broncos, start to finish:

Why I Drafted Jay Cutler, and What Happened from There | Bleacher Report
That was a good read. I hated the move to bench Plummer but hoped for the best. In 2007 and 2008 I rooted hard for Cutler to succeed. Even though that 2008 offense had its problems, it did seem the team had something on that side of the ball to build upon and I was surprised when I heard Shanahan was fired. I also have said many times Kubiak's departure was the beginning of the end. The drop off from 2005 to 2006 was immense, and I think Kubiak's departure is the biggest variable that explains that drop. Still, that 2006 team had a chance to make the playoffs and fell flat in week 17 against an inferior 49ers team. It wasn't until the 8-8 Tebow year the Broncos returned to the playoffs. And of course that season coincides with Elway's return. What a run the team has been on since then!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That was a good read. I hated the move to bench Plummer but hoped for the best. In 2007 and 2008 I rooted hard for Cutler to succeed. Even though that 2008 offense had its problems, it did seem the team had something on that side of the ball to build upon and I was surprised when I heard Shanahan was fired. I also have said many times Kubiak's departure was the beginning of the end. The drop off from 2005 to 2006 was immense, and I think Kubiak's departure is the biggest variable that explains that drop. Still, that 2006 team had a chance to make the playoffs and fell flat in week 17 against an inferior 49ers team. It wasn't until the 8-8 Tebow year the Broncos returned to the playoffs. And of course that season coincides with Elway's return. What a run the team has been on since then!
Good post! And thanks to MaciesMom for the Ted Sundquist article. A few words on the Plummer 2005/2006 situation.

Jake's overall record with Denver was 40-18. He led Denver to a 13-3 season in 2005 and the Broncos beat New England 27-13, the most memorable play there was Champ bailey's 100 yard interception return.

But Pittsburgh caught fire right around week #12 and got on a roll. Shanahan singled out Jake for the AFC Championship game loss as he had 2 picks and 2 fumbles; however, the truth was that this is where Ben Roethlisberger showed the league that he was for real. Ben went 21-29 for 268 yards-no picks. Denver held Jerome Bettis to only 39 yards (?) but Jerome picked up key first downs to keep the Steelers rolling. Yes, Jake turned the ball over. But when it was all over the Steelers had the ball for 36:03 and three of their scores were long sustained drives.

The NFL is about payback. We have played Pittsburgh in the playoffs more times than any other three teams put together. YES! Denver is 5-3 over the Steelers regarding playoff games. But the Steelers won 34-17. They deserved it, they played well. Yes, Jake turned the ball over. The Broncos defense couldn't get the Steelers to do the same thing.

Bill Cowher was under pressure to win a playoff game, 8 years previous Denver beat them in the AFC Championship.-----Payback! Steelers go to and win the Super Bowl.

I was at that game. I know!

Come pro bowl time the Bronco coaching staff was coaching the AFC all stars. Jake Plummer was voted to the Pro bowl, the only year he ever made the pro bowl. Jake and Mike were, ummmmm, not conversing well with each other. Plummer blew off the pro bowl, the AFC qb's turned out to be Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer. And then here comes the 2006 draft.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:44 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Not talking to Shanahan during the off season was puzzling, actually somewhat worrisome to some people. Not to me though. Jake was a free spirit and a half! Several occasions using the ol' binoculars I would see the two of them having heated conversations on the sidelines. Like most coaches Mike wanted things done his way, it was only six years previous that he benched Bubby Brister as Bubby was kind of a free spirit too!

When the Broncos picked Jay Cutler #1 in the 2006 draft, it sent a message to Plummer. I interpret it as Cutler will take this job if you don't take Denver to the Super Bowl and win. Still, after week 11 Plummer had Denver at 7-3. THEN---Shanahan dropped a bomb with the press---"If Jake loses this game against Kansas City I'm going with Cutler." I felt that was really unfair to Jake myself. I had always been in Shanahan's corner but I felt this was hurting the team. And Jake WAS popular with the team. SO----Cutler took over. Jake didn't sulk, he was very supportive of Jay as he took over, whenever Cutler and Shanahan were together on the sidelines, Plummer was with them. I know, I sit in section 135, row 12.

But what sealed the fate on the 2006 Broncos was losing Al Wilson to that neck injury in the Seattle game and I remember it like it was yesterday. I kept yelling--"Get up Al. Get Up Al!! He was strapped and went right to Colorado General Hospital. That was the last game Al Wilson played. Without a doubt it took the starch out of the defense. They lost their leader. We missed the playoffs as the 49ers, as Iknowftbll stated above , beat the Broncos 26-23 in the last game of the season.

And the ironic thing about all this was when we played the Chiefs in that Thanksgiving night game, to demand Jake win or else? HUH? Maybe Mike thought KC wasn't up to it. Well, due to both clubs finishing 9-7, KC went to the playoffs due to the tie breaker. Shanahan would hear about that all off season.

Jay Cutler situation coming up tomorrow night!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good post! And thanks to MaciesMom for the Ted Sundquist article. A few words on the Plummer 2005/2006 situation.

Jake's overall record with Denver was 40-18. He led Denver to a 13-3 season in 2005 and the Broncos beat New England 27-13, the most memorable play there was Champ bailey's 100 yard interception return.

But Pittsburgh caught fire right around week #12 and got on a roll. Shanahan singled out Jake for the AFC Championship game loss as he had 2 picks and 2 fumbles; however, the truth was that this is where Ben Roethlisberger showed the league that he was for real. Ben went 21-29 for 268 yards-no picks. Denver held Jerome Bettis to only 39 yards (?) but Jerome picked up key first downs to keep the Steelers rolling. Yes, Jake turned the ball over. But when it was all over the Steelers had the ball for 36:03 and three of their scores were long sustained drives.

The NFL is about payback. We have played Pittsburgh in the playoffs more times than any other three teams put together. YES! Denver is 5-3 over the Steelers regarding playoff games. But the Steelers won 34-17. They deserved it, they played well. Yes, Jake turned the ball over. The Broncos defense couldn't get the Steelers to do the same thing.

Bill Cowher was under pressure to win a playoff game, 8 years previous Denver beat them in the AFC Championship.-----Payback! Steelers go to and win the Super Bowl.

I was at that game. I know!

Come pro bowl time the Bronco coaching staff was coaching the AFC all stars. Jake Plummer was voted to the Pro bowl, the only year he ever made the pro bowl. Jake and Mike were, ummmmm, not conversing well with each other. Plummer blew off the pro bowl, the AFC qb's turned out to be Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer. And then here comes the 2006 draft.
That AFCCG was brutal but it was just the Steelers year that go around. The defense made mistakes on plays they nailed all season long. It's okay though, because the Broncos have dealt the Steelers two playoff losses since, one of them en route to another Super Bowl win!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
For me, Cutler, Josh McDork, and Brandon Psycho Marshall was all one connected saga.

At one time I liked Cutler and thought he'd be a franchise qb. I hated the smerk and stupid look on his head, but then found out that it was because of his untreated diabetes, so I gave him a pass.

When Josh McDork took the helm, I hated him and was digruntled over the firing of the Rat, as it wasn't his fault that our defense sucked... but maybe it turned out to be his fault.

But then, Josh McDork took the Broncos to 6-0 until they got exposed and wound up going something like 2-8 the rest of the way, putting us in the mercy of a Hoodie-sabotage-meltdown to end the season.

So what does Dork McJosh do? Benches what little bit of offensive talent we have, Brandon Me Me Me pick Me Marshall, and pisses off Cutler.

Turns out all three of these guys suck on the football field, Josh McDork less so when he's under the Hoodie's shadow, and there ya go.

Cutler would be a pretty good quarterback if he didn't suck so bad under pressure and take himself out of the game because of a hang nail when the going gets rough.

Brandon Marshall, the one who at least "stands" for something, would be ok as long as he stays away from knives, pretty women with daddy issues, other sharp objects, and a microphone and camera.

Josh McDork is just a spy. Don't trust that cheatriot.

That's my opinions anyway.
Just FYI, Cutler was traded before he even practiced under Josh McDaniels. Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler were moved after the 2009 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah, this is where Josh McDidiot sabotaged the Broncos' season, right from the very start.

Now bear in mind, this was pretty much Josh's first pr move and action as Broncos' head coach at that time.

So McMoron, what's your backup plan? Tim TeabWho?
I'd like to take a second to point out that the guy who wrote that article wasn't even part of the organization when Cutler was traded, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what he says.

I'd also point out that if you believe the narrative that came out of Jay Cutler's camp during that ordeal, Cutler was upset that McDaniels had tried to trade him. That's a stark contrast to what Sundquist wrote in his article. I actually know a few media types who were very close to the team during that time and know with considerable certainty what really transpired, which I've shared on here before.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:53 PM

^ At this point to me it's unimportant what transpired. I only dislike Cutler because of his comments after the trade. McD brought us Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow's inspired season highlighted the Broncos for one Peyton Manning. Things all worked out for the Broncos through those down years and looking back I wouldn't change anything. Not even that 4-12 debacle in 2010. After all, that brought us Von Miller.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:10 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Just FYI, Cutler was traded before he even practiced under Josh McDaniels. Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler were moved after the 2009 season.

I'd like to take a second to point out that the guy who wrote that article wasn't even part of the organization when Cutler was traded, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what he says.

I'd also point out that if you believe the narrative that came out of Jay Cutler's camp during that ordeal, Cutler was upset that McDaniels had tried to trade him. That's a stark contrast to what Sundquist wrote in his article. I actually know a few media types who were very close to the team during that time and know with considerable certainty what really transpired, which I've shared on here before.

I guess that's true. I remember Josh benching BraMarsh later in the season, I guess due to his behavior, and he benched someone else. I can't remember. Was it Stokely or someone like that? Bizarre coaching imo, also another trainwreck ending to the season for the Broncos.

Don't know about the slant taken by the author, but under his account, I could understand Cutler's behavior somewhat. I can't remember the exact details of Cutler's other weird behavior during that transition.

But in any case, he and Bramarsh were in serious need of some couch time and maybe some pharms about that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
3 games in and the honeymoon may already be over in Houston for Osweiler. Brock Lobster had a terrible performance tonight. Shut out by the Pats and their 3rd string QB 27-0.

Final stat line - 24/41 for 196 yards and a pick. $72 million ouch.
You seem to have an opinion about ex-bronco qbs. Don't think his career has concluded just yet.

Boy, some folks sure crashed off of that bandwagon tonight though. I think Michael Irvin or someone got lippy predicting Texans victory or something. Something about renaming the Lombardi Trophy to the Bilicheat Trophy or something like that? Anybody hear about this? In any case, Michael Irvin is about one of the densest characters on tv imo of course, right up there with the likes of one Todd Christiansen.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-22-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 10:13 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
3 games in and the honeymoon may already be over in Houston for Osweiler. Brock Lobster had a terrible performance tonight. Shut out by the Pats and their 3rd string QB 27-0.

Final stat line - 24/41 for 196 yards and a pick. $72 million ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football