Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 07:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Earth to skins_fan, we have not hung 40 points on anybody this year.
That makes this week a good week to start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Earth to skins_fan, we have not hung 40 points on anybody this year.
I'm well aware of that. Denver's offense has been pretty crappy this year.

I'm simply saying it would be nice to do it THIS week.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:16 PM

18,007 posts, read 27,450,890 times
The Broncos are expected to lose on Sunday and it's nothing the team is unfamiliar with. Many folks see the Broncos' offense as anemic and put the blame on #18, the Oline, the new coaching staff, you could throw in drops by the rcvrs etc.

You could say the defense carried the team this far, and that would be true. But what people who haven't followed the Broncos closely this season fail to account for is the team's chemistry and resilience. They find a way to win.

I see the offense as a work in progress, one that includes 18, Oz, Rick Dennison, Kubiac, the battled line, the so-so running game, etc. But the running game is as good as the other three playoff teams when you look at how the Broncos have scored.

The Patriots are a team that did not come this far to lose nor to play badly. This is a team that can win once they get to the Superbowl or at least be within a score with a chance to win it in the closing seconds.

I don't want to see the Broncos luck out this next game. I want the best team to win, and go on to win the Superbowl. I would hate to see another Denver-Broncos-Superbowl-inhialation.

Looking long term, I think Kubiac's offense will work. We still have yet to see Manning running this offense as designed by Kubiac with no timing issues, with qb and rcvrs all on the same page.

I think the Patriots could be the Broncos stepping-stone to a Broncos Superbowl win. I'd bet Hoodie and Brady would have a nice chat with Manning should the Broncos win Sunday.

We'll see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So with all that in mind, I would love for the 2016 Broncos to go down as the "most lucky" or "worst" Super Bowl winning team ever!
The Broncos already are the worst 13-4 team to host an AFC Championship game ever.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-22-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 01:30 PM

^ I agree with much of your post, MC. One minor point of contention: I want the Broncos to win. If the Patriots are the better team, that's fine. I want the Broncos to win. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the Patriots win. I want the Broncos to win. Even if it's on a fluke play, I don't care. I want the Broncos to win. Even if they're not the best team but some weird lucky play bounces their way, I want the Broncos to win. The best teams don't always win in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Sometimes something just breaks one team's way and the better team gets beat. All year long we've heard how the Broncos are not good, but lucky. That's a foolish assessment, but one that is unlikely to change, no matter what happens Sunday. So with all that in mind, I would love for the 2016 Broncos to go down as the "most lucky" or "worst" Super Bowl winning team ever!

Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,535 times
We ended the season #2 in the power rankings that I use.....ESPN. The lack of respect is interesting. Worked our way against the Packers in SB 97.

The Broncos didn't play that bad really. The Pats just looked unstoppable for 3 quarters. We put together one nice drive with 3 minutes left.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The Broncos are expected to lose on Sunday and it's nothing the team is unfamiliar with. Many folks see the Broncos' offense as anemic and put the blame on #18, the Oline, the new coaching staff, you could throw in drops by the rcvrs etc.

You could say the defense carried the team this far, and that would be true. But what people who haven't followed the Broncos closely this season fail to account for is the team's chemistry and resilience. They find a way to win.

I see the offense as a work in progress, one that includes 18, Oz, Rick Dennison, Kubiac, the battled line, the so-so running game, etc. But the running game is as good as the other three playoff teams when you look at how the Broncos have scored.

The Patriots are a team that did not come this far to lose nor to play badly. This is a team that can win once they get to the Superbowl or at least be within a score with a chance to win it in the closing seconds.

I don't want to see the Broncos luck out this next game. I want the best team to win, and go on to win the Superbowl. I would hate to see another Denver-Broncos-Superbowl-inhialation.

Looking long term, I think Kubiac's offense will work. We still have yet to see Manning running this offense as designed by Kubiac with no timing issues, with qb and rcvrs all on the same page.

I think the Patriots could be the Broncos stepping-stone to a Broncos Superbowl win. I'd bet Hoodie and Brady would have a nice chat with Manning should the Broncos win Sunday.

We'll see how it goes.

The Broncos already are the worst 13-4 team to host an AFC Championship game ever.
Yup. I as I said early in the season, They could end up being the worst Super Bowl winner, ever.
That'd be just all right with me.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:06 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,907 times
As a Pats fan I believe the Pats will win. But to you Denver fans, here's why, and poke any holes in my analysis as I see it.

Denver's zone defense isn't that great. Brady can pick it apart. If they go man, Edelman creates a matchup nightmare, which will allow Gronk some single coverage. The one thing in Denver's favor is they can concentrate on the pass, because unless someone has a breakout day the run game is mediocre at best.

It the Pats key in on the run and force Manning to pass (sounds crazy), that will be to the Pats advantage. Manning's arm has obviously lost strength, so his long ball is not nearly as much of a factor any more. the Pats D has been ferocious this year. If they can stuff the run and get to Manning, could be a long day offensively for Denver.

But Denver's pass rush is also excellent. If the Pats O-Line doesn't hold up, Denver will get to Brady and keep the score down and the game tight.

I keep hearing discussion of "what if" Manning has a terrible 1st half - would Kubiak put Ostweiler in?

I am very excited to see what could be the swan song game of the Brady/Manning era. Two of the greatest, and NFL fans who don't believe this is a special game aren't true fans. Good luck Broncos. I hope you lose

Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 AM

Prediction is for 46 degrees and cloudy with 5 mph wind. Possible snow. Can our weather daisies handle this?

Edit: Snow would favor the run game. This seems to favor the Broncos. Then again....we are weather daisies.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 01-23-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As a Pats fan I believe the Pats will win. But to you Denver fans, here's why, and poke any holes in my analysis as I see it.

Denver's zone defense isn't that great. Brady can pick it apart. If they go man, Edelman creates a matchup nightmare, which will allow Gronk some single coverage. The one thing in Denver's favor is they can concentrate on the pass, because unless someone has a breakout day the run game is mediocre at best.

It the Pats key in on the run and force Manning to pass (sounds crazy), that will be to the Pats advantage. Manning's arm has obviously lost strength, so his long ball is not nearly as much of a factor any more. the Pats D has been ferocious this year. If they can stuff the run and get to Manning, could be a long day offensively for Denver.

But Denver's pass rush is also excellent. If the Pats O-Line doesn't hold up, Denver will get to Brady and keep the score down and the game tight.

I keep hearing discussion of "what if" Manning has a terrible 1st half - would Kubiak put Ostweiler in?

I am very excited to see what could be the swan song game of the Brady/Manning era. Two of the greatest, and NFL fans who don't believe this is a special game aren't true fans. Good luck Broncos. I hope you lose
From a biased and extremely passionate fan who wants the Broncos to win, I have no clue what to expect, really. It's easier to critique someone else's arguments than go out on a limb and make your own. I'll attempt both here.

First, the Broncos don't play a zone defense very often. They did it against the Bengals because they were just unable to play man against the Bengals WRs. They kept getting burned. They started in a zone against the Steelers last week but by the third quarter they had abandoned it. Roby is a very good 3rd CB, likely a starter on a team that doesn't have Harris and Talib on it. That said, he gets confused in a zone, which can explain why Roethlisberger had receivers open in space. Some of those guys had their own zip codes to work in and on most of those plays it was Roby's inability to understand his zone assignment. I expect the Broncos to put him on Amendola and Harris on Edelman. Talib will guard Gronk with help from the safety. Playing man on Edelman and Amendola is a wash: both sides will get their wins. Gronk is the bigger challenge because he's a TE and I'm pretty sure there is a Colorado statute somewhere that declares the Broncos shall be unable to cover the TE.

The Broncos key to success against the Pats offense is the pressure up the middle. Ware and Miller can get around the tackles all game long and it won't matter because Brady will have a pocket to step up into. Crushing the middle of that O-line is crucial to success. Even if they don't get sacks, getting in Brady's face and getting their arms up and preventing him from getting into a consistent rhythm is critical. Wolfe, Jackson and Sly will be charged with this and I believe they will have some success. Still, Brady has done just fine behind that line that can at best be described as adequate.

The Pats do look to sell out to stop the run, which is risky. Look at the film of the Steelers game. Yes, Manning is a shadow of himself but he can now plant and use his legs to generate power on his throws. I would say the Patriots defense can't count on another 7 drop day from the Broncos receivers but drops have been a major issue all year, regardless of Manning or Oz as QB. But if the Broncos reign that in this week as the Pats sell out against the run the Broncos are going to burn that Patriots Defense. Playing man on DT and Sanders is a good way to make your secondary look like a JV team. Again: provided the Broncos WRs decide to catch the ball.

If the Patriots do sell out to stop the run they'd better hope it works. A lot has been made of the Broncos fortunes turning when Hightower left the game. He's good, but the Patriots are not the only team that the Broncos run game wore down late in a game. Hightower's absence was likely a factor, but only a homer believes it was THE factor. The Broncos have done this several times. Their running game, especially at altitude, gets better as the game goes on because the defenses are tired by then.

I think the Broncos win a close one: just live they've done all year. Manning takes them half the distance of the field to get them in FG range and McManus drills one as time expires. Broncos 27, Patriots 24.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:40 AM

Broncos receivers catching the football? Ha...thats a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football