Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 PM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, while I like McCarthy, I do think he underachieved as the 2010s Andy Reid. He only went 1-3 in NFC Championship Games, face planted with a 15-1 team, had the biggest postseason choke in a generation on his watch (until the Falcons SB choke one-upped everybody for biggest choke ever), and 40% of his playoff victories came in that one Super Bowl year. He wasnt good enough in the postseason, where his team was favored more often than not, and he was still outcoached consistently at the biggest moments...

I think it's the wrong call to terminate him right now, though, but he'll land on his feet...

Also, the entire Packers organization should look in the mirror, because while it's easy to blame McCarthy, this organization has had the gift of Favre and Rodgers back-to-back, with only three Super Bowl appearances (2-1), a losing NFCCG record (3-5), and questionable roster building at various points of that 27 years. This isn't a McCarthy thing so much as an organizational philosophical problem, and I understand firing Thompson supposedly is a step in the right direction, but we'll see...

27 years is a long time. Since Favre entered in '92, here are the other franchises with at least three Super Bowl appearances; how many of them were gift-wrapped HOF QBs for going on three decades?

Dallas (3-0)
Denver (3-1)
NY Giants (2-1)
New England (5-4)
Pittsburgh (2-2)
Seattle (1-2)

It says something that Green Bay has been to three Super Bowls in 27 years, one of only seven teams that can say that. But outside if Brady, the Pack has had the next two best quarterbacks of any of these teams. Just two championships is an underachievement. That's not a McCarthy problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:00 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Not a great day for all Pack fans......lets hope they make the right choice, and to our GM Gutekunst, you sure have your work cut off for you reconstructing this roster.
Seems like most Packer fans are celebrating. Who are the fans going to blame next year if the Packers don't win the division now that Capers, Thompson, & McCarthy are all gone?

Meanwhile, Mike Zimmer has stood up from McCarthy.
https://twitter.com/DaneMizutani/sta...92813891178496

Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,476 times
everwinter…...In my post I pointed out Mike gave us 13 good years and I truly thank him. The vikes had Bud Grant for quite a few years, but how many of their other coaches have lasted as long as Mike.
There is just a poor chemistry on the team now, and it is monumental mess.

NFL coaches are hired to get fired...just the way it works. Mike had a great 13 year run, it is getting stale and disheveled in GB now, and it is just time for a change. We are not looking for scapegoats, just recognizing it is time to shuffle the deck....big difference.

This is not all Mikes fault...TT made some mistakes the last few years, and we have a roster that needs a dynamic overhaul. We have quite a few high priced players that are not on the field very much, or not producing.....and we are not celebrating Mikes departure....just agreeing.

To have Rodgers for as long as he has, and to only get on SB ring is somewhat of a knock on Mike. He has let some huge games in the playoffs get away.....I still cant figure out how that seahawk game got away from the packers a few years ago.

You ask some reasonable questions in your post and you are a great poster. At this time the overwhelming number of Pack fans just think the time is right to shake things up.....I am not positive that Gutekunst and Murphy are the right choices either, but blowing up the entire organization now may not be feasible.

I just haven't seen this great franchise in such a chaotic, lifeless, and unbelievable mess of a state it is now......and it is going to take a couple of years to dig out of this hole. The question is do we let the meter or clock run down on Aaron while this is happening?

Last edited by jefffla01; 12-02-2018 at 11:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 01:20 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,985 times
Letter to the Packers Organization

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! For making a move that many felt should have been made over a season ago. I understand the need to exercise some patience after a 7-9 season last year. But after starting out at an abysmal 4-7-1 this year, and then losing to arguably one of the worst 3 teams in the NFL at home as a 14 point favorite, it was clearly time to make a move. You did what was necessary, and made a move swiftly, which is what the situation called for. About the only legitimate argument that could be made against this move, is that keeping McCarthy would have guaranteed a better draft pick for the team (but it clearly wasn't worth the price). It is better to try and get some cohesiveness back starting tomorrow instead of waiting until season's end. The fans will give the new coach a honeymoon period and perhaps the new mantra can be H-O-P-E instead of R-E-L-A-X. Admittedly it's hard to imagine anyone taking over and having the same record at this point next year. But most will understand that anyone taking over are taking over a team in shambles instead of the embarrassment of riches at the time McCarthy took over. 25+ years with two first ballot HOFers and only 2 Superbowls to show for it is truly an embarrassment. Here's to the Packers turning the page to a new and hopefully fruitful beginning. Good Riddance and Good Luck Mike McCarthy.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Surprised this happened before end of year... very surprised but i suppose if you know your going to fire the coach at the end of the season, doing it early gives both parties a head start at their new hire.

I laugh at the Packer fans who are complaining about having only won 2 championships in the past 20 or so year despite having 2 HOF QBs and consistently being in the playoffs.. They need to have a sit down discussion with Packer fans from 1970-1990.... it could be worse, it could be a helluva lot worse... in fact, a Packer fan from that era might tell the current era Packer fans, be careful what you wish for!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:14 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Surprised this happened before end of year... very surprised but i suppose if you know your going to fire the coach at the end of the season, doing it early gives both parties a head start at their new hire.

I laugh at the Packer fans who are complaining about having only won 2 championships in the past 20 or so year despite having 2 HOF QBs and consistently being in the playoffs.. They need to have a sit down discussion with Packer fans from 1970-1990.... it could be worse, it could be a helluva lot worse... in fact, a Packer fan from that era might tell the current era Packer fans, be careful what you wish for!
You can laugh all you want. The truth hurts sometimes. Laughter in situations like this is a defense mechanism. Time to get back on track (for those that don't enjoy train wrecks). Considering the alternative (continuing down this path), many of us are quite excited about the possibilities. It actually couldn't get much worse looking at the last year and a half and considering where McCarthy started from, that's pretty pathetic. And btw, those HOFers came to the team starting in 1992, so 1970-1990 has nothing to do with it. The Packers still have a HOFer. Maybe they shouldn't waste his remaining years.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 12-03-2018 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 05:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I think Leslie Frazier would be a good fit in Green Bay

Old 12-03-2018, 06:01 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
You can laugh all you want. The truth hurts sometimes. Laughter in situations like this is a defense mechanism. Time to get back on track (for those that don't enjoy train wrecks). Considering the alternative (continuing down this path), many of us are quite excited about the possibilities. It actually couldn't get much worse looking at the last year and a half and considering where McCarthy started from, that's pretty pathetic. And btw, those HOFers came to the team starting in 1992, so 1970-1990 has nothing to do with it. The Packers still have a HOFer. Maybe they shouldn't waste his remaining years.

All good points and as a fan i get the frustration and maybe its time for a new coach in Green Bay.. I don't begrudge the Packers for looking in a new direction nor the fans who are happy to see it.. M

My point was if current fans were fans of the Packers between 1970-1990 they would have more appreciation for their recent run of success. Those who are complaining about the lack of Super Bowls in recent years were obviously not around to endure the 25 years prior.

Most Packer fans in the 70s were elated when hearing of the news that Phil Bengtson had been fired and Dan Devine was their new head coach. Before his departure after the 1974 seasons Devine set the franchise back a decade by trading 2 1st, 2 2nd and a 3rd round pick to the Rams for QB John Hadl. True! Just be careful what you wish for.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:09 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
everwinter…...In my post I pointed out Mike gave us 13 good years and I truly thank him. The vikes had Bud Grant for quite a few years, but how many of their other coaches have lasted as long as Mike.
There is just a poor chemistry on the team now, and it is monumental mess.
I was referring to Packer fans in general being happy McCarthy is gone. Not on city data. Mostly fans online in other Packers sites (reddit, facebook etc.)

I agree with all your points.

This all kind of reminds me of when the Packers were good for so many years & then had those bad seasons with Favre toward the end. Holmgren left & then Packers went through Rhodes, Sherman & on to McCarthy. Fans couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think Leslie Frazier would be a good fit in Green Bay
I was thinking Les Steckel.

Maybe co-coaches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football