Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Geez..I wish I weren't a Giant fan..I'd be rooting for Vick BIGTIME in any other case..People like you make me hope he wins every game. Too bad he plays for the hated Eagles. Talk about unforgiving people..

Go pet a poodle
First sentence deleted-You would take Vick on your team over Brady, Peyton Manning, or Brees? Are you kidding me?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-16-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
First sentence deleted-You would take Vick on your team over Brady, Peyton Manning, or Brees? Are you kidding me?
What are you talking about!???? I just said I was rooting for Vick..I DIDN'T say I wanted him over those guys....geez. Besides , he plays for the Eagles...I'll never truly be able to root for him anyway. I just like the fact he is excelling as I would anyone who makes something bad into something good.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Quote:
All that shows is that the average person voting is dumb. Aside from Vick's past, just considering football, how can you possibly vote Vick over Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers?
Dude, it's just a pro bowl.

Years ago, Yao Ming was voted to start in the All-Star over Shaq.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
All that shows is that the average person voting is dumb. Aside from Vick's past, just considering football, how can you possibly vote Vick over Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers?
Dude - your ignorance is appalling, and the fact a fellow Eagles fan could be so ignorant about football is embarrassing to all Eagles fans. Vick is having a better season than P. Manning, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, and arguably Rivers. The only guy who is having a better season statistically through 13 games is Tom Brady.

You can feel whatever you want to feel about Michael Vick and that is fine, but to say Vick is less deserving to be in the Pro Bowl than most of the guys you mentioned shows total ignorance of and/or bias against Vick's production as an NFL quarterback in 2010.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
No.

I dislike the way he treated dogs, but man can he play ball!

Go birds!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Dude - your ignorance is appalling, and the fact a fellow Eagles fan could be so ignorant about football is embarrassing to all Eagles fans. Vick is having a better season than P. Manning, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, and arguably Rivers. The only guy who is having a better season statistically through 13 games is Tom Brady.

You can feel whatever you want to feel about Michael Vick and that is fine, but to say Vick is less deserving to be in the Pro Bowl than most of the guys you mentioned shows total ignorance of and/or bias against Vick's production as an NFL quarterback in 2010.
He's 20th in passing yards, 10th in completion %. He is 3rd in QB rating, though. He is having a very good year, but his career, back in his Falcons days, he was a very mediocre QB who could run fast. He is more likely to fall back to his career norms than he is to keep up his pace from this season. That said, there are a LOT of QB's I'd put before Vick if I was starting a team, and that's not even considering potential off-the-field issues. Heck, if it was up to me, Kolb would still be the Eagles starting QB. He should have stolen his job back when Vick was injured the way Vick stole his earlier. Remember Kolb had a hell of game against Atlanta, arguably the best team in the NFC.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
Quote:
He's 20th in passing yards, 10th in completion %. He is 3rd in QB rating, though. He is having a very good year, but his career, back in his Falcons days, he was a very mediocre QB who could run fast. He is more likely to fall back to his career norms than he is to keep up his pace from this season. That said, there are a LOT of QB's I'd put before Vick if I was starting a team, and that's not even considering potential off-the-field issues. Heck, if it was up to me, Kolb would still be the Eagles starting QB. He should have stolen his job back when Vick was injured the way Vick stole his earlier. Remember Kolb had a hell of game against Atlanta, arguably the best team in the NFC.
do you remember Kolb's game against Tennessee? I like Kolb a lot but right now vick gives the Eagles a better chance of winning and he is doing good. The Pro bowl doesn't take into account past years, so his Atlanta days don't matter(On the field). It's his playing now that counts and not just his numbers but he is also very dangerous because unlike Brady, Vick can run it if you double cover receivers.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
1) Vick didn't play in the equivalent of just over 4 games this year, so OF COURSE he's going to have fewer passing yards than a lot of other quarterbacks. I mean, if we're going to use passing yards as a measure of a quarterback's quality, then I guess Brett Favre was a lot better than Joe Montana, right?

2) Most people who follow football closely will tell you yards per attempt is a more important statistic in measuring a quarterback's effectiveness than completion percentage. With all the deep throws the Eagles make, that becomes even more true. So where does Vick rank in yards per attempt? Additionally, without even looking I bet Vick's completion percentage is better than Donavan McNabb's was most of the seasons McNabb played for the Eagles. The Eagles usually had a fairly effective offense with McNabb under center, and the offense has become more effective with Vick under center, in part because Vick doesn't make as many inaccurate short-to-medium length throws as McNabb did.

3) Kolb was not an established starter, so I don't believe he should have had the Eagles starting QB job locked up regardless what he did. There's no comparison between what Vick did before the bye week and what Kolb did before the bye week (when the two players had played roughly a similar number of snaps - actually Kolb had played a little more). Kolb played solidly, but Vick played spectacularly, at a distinctly higher level than Kolb. That's why Andy Reid made the decision to go with Vick - after seeing his performances against the Lions and Jaguars it would have been hard for him to not do so. In addition, Kolb's best game against the Falcons was not as good as Vick's performance against Detroit or probably his performance against Jacksonville, when looked at in the context of the games themselves. Yeah, yeah, the Falcons are 11-2, but they played terrible in that game on defense; Kolb was under no pressure and had all day to throw on most passing plays. By contrast, Vick was under heavy pressure against the Lions and still made a number of excellent plays. Furthermore, in the parts of games that Kolb played against the Packers and Redskins, he was very mediocre, worse than Vick has been in any game this season, and much worse than how Vick played in the same game against the Packers and in the Eagles' other game against the Redskins.

If someone wants to say if he was starting a team right now and at quarterback he'd rather have a handful of other guys rather than Michael Vick, that would be fair, just based on the fact there are other guys with much more established track records (Brady, P. Manning, Brees) or are younger and have significant upside (Ryan, maybe even Sam Bradford). But that's a different argument than saying most of those guys are more deserving of playing in the 2010 Pro Bowl, based on what all quarterbacks have done through their teams' first 13 games, than Michael Vick. The Pro Bowl players should be based on what players have done in that season, and very few guys (I'd argue one) have performed better at quarterback in 2010 than Michael Vick.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
As a country, we are huge dog lovers. He touched a cord with his actions. With that knowledge, press reporters(PR) will search him out, in an attempt to garner better ratings. Regardless of his football skills, PR know that just saying his name will get attention.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
And he is now deservedly getting serious discussion surrounding potential league MVP choices! Way to go #7! Shut em' up!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football