Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 AM

18,018 posts, read 27,463,514 times

Advertisements

What a despicable act. RIP to the gal,condolences to her family, and to the KC Chief organization and fan base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I can't remember a worse NFL story than this one, since Rae Carruth, possibly. This story is going to become the sports story of the year, I fear.

Kidphilly is right to reference the 3 month old girl. I hope she is provided for emotionally. How does even measure the idea of 'a bad day' after hearing about a story like this one.....

I thought I'd edit and add to this because I am openly wondering if this game should be played as scheduled tomorrow. How can Crennel and Pioli prepare for this game after witnessing such a tragedy? What about the player's ability to focus? Perhaps this game should be postponed.
I believe the Ray Carruth case was worse because it was a planned attack to try to murder the woman and her unborn child. In this case, it appears to be a murder committed in the heat of the moment followed by regret & depression, then suicide.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM

So sorry for the woman, her family, and his family. No sympathy for him. Perhaps he should have followed the example of other NFL players and shot himself in the chest so he could leave his brain for science examination. Then again, he wasn't thinking too clearly at the time to consider such options. His actions makes me wonder how much violence against women he's committed in the past and how much he saw within his home growing up as a child. Hopefully the surviving child won't repeat the vicious cycle.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Absolutely, yes. While what happened today was certainly a tragedy, life goes on and the logistics that go into an NFL football game (and by proxy, its rescheduling) are incredible and should only be undertaken in the most extreme of extreme circumstances.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but individual players and teams have played through tragedy before, and Crennel and the Chiefs will simply have to solider on and put their best foot forward. Someone brought up preparation and I'd point out that at this point, preparation (scouting and game planning) are done. Most teams have that finished up the Tuesday or Wednesday leading into a game. After that it's pretty much practice field work and some light film study to review going into the weekend.
It's not a question of soldiering on and putting their best foot forward. It's about having some shred of decency for the fact that your player committed murder, then a very public suicide, the day before your game. But heavens, if the game is postponed or canceled, then there will be less TV advertising money. Actually, probably not, because the network has many other games it could televise in the time slot.

I have been kind of a Chiefs fan since before moving to Missouri and, since I'm a Texas ex, I've enjoyed seeing Jamaal Charles and Derrick Johnson do well. But if the game goes on, forget it.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I don't think the game should be postponed. Will one or two days really make a difference?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It's not a question of soldiering on and putting their best foot forward. It's about having some shred of decency for the fact that your player committed murder, then a very public suicide, the day before your game. But heavens, if the game is postponed or canceled, then there will be less TV advertising money. Actually, probably not, because the network has many other games it could televise in the time slot.

I have been kind of a Chiefs fan since before moving to Missouri and, since I'm a Texas ex, I've enjoyed seeing Jamaal Charles and Derrick Johnson do well. But if the game goes on, forget it.
It's not that simple. Both choices were hard to make. To postpone the game would prolong the feelings by the team and community. To go on with the game as scheduled could seem insensitive to the murder suicide. For whatever reason, they decided to go on with the game as scheduled. The advantage is it'll give the team and fans a chance to show a moment of silence for the event and then play the game that he loved. For the team, it'll get them to start moving on without dwelling on the tragedy. Postponing the game would only cause those on the team who care to dwell on the tragedy even more. If someone at your job were to commit murder and then suicide, once the crime scene is cleared, does your job stay shut down days after the suicide or do they open up again? Life goes on and they need to go on to help them get over it. It's just a football game to some, but for them it's a job and a business. Try thinking of the situation like a suicide shooting in an office parking lot. Would the business shut down because an employee shot himself in the company parking lot? Same thing.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:

Again, this is about logistics. The amount of work and preparation that goes on for every single NFL game, not to mention the fans who could be traveling from out of town to see the game, have to be taken into consideration.

There are times where postponing a game is appropriate. This is not it, in my opinion.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It's not that simple. Both choices were hard to make. To postpone the game would prolong the feelings by the team and community. To go on with the game as scheduled could seem insensitive to the murder suicide. For whatever reason, they decided to go on with the game as scheduled. The advantage is it'll give the team and fans a chance to show a moment of silence for the event and then play the game that he loved. For the team, it'll get them to start moving on without dwelling on the tragedy. Postponing the game would only cause those on the team who care to dwell on the tragedy even more. If someone at your job were to commit murder and then suicide, once the crime scene is cleared, does your job stay shut down days after the suicide or do they open up again? Life goes on and they need to go on to help them get over it. It's just a football game to some, but for them it's a job and a business. Try thinking of the situation like a suicide shooting in an office parking lot. Would the business shut down because an employee shot himself in the company parking lot? Same thing.
Poor analogy. Nobody's asking the Chiefs to shut down, just to postpone or cancel this game, today. I'm less concerned about the players (not unconcerned, just less concerned) than about the team and the league doing the right thing, just because it's the right thing to do.

But I see there are some "die-hard" football fans who think differently, or maybe my sense of disgust at playing this game today is not shared by others. So be it.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Again, this is about logistics. The amount of work and preparation that goes on for every single NFL game, not to mention the fans who could be traveling from out of town to see the game, have to be taken into consideration.

There are times where postponing a game is appropriate. This is not it, in my opinion.
I guess logistics trumps ethical behavior.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
I guess logistics trumps ethical behavior.
What is unethical about holding the game at its scheduled time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football