Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As a transportation professional what I find ironic (and stupid) is that the NFL gets to be exempt from anti-trust laws but back in 1980 the same government removed anti-trust protection from the airline and trucking industries who had always been able to jointly set their airlines fares or trucking freight rates.

Somedays I think Congress deserves a perpetual "Darwin Award" for their stupidity and lack of vision, especially over the long term.

In this case, ending the blackout rule is the right thing to do, and NFL's anti-trust exemption also needs to go.

Further irony is that Congress and politicians love to tell us about the blessings of free markets and competition, then they allow billionaire team owners to be exempt from competition and free-market forces.
And you can add to that the NFL's tax-exempt status, too.

It's not that the revenues reaped would be enormous - though, hey, millions of $/year isn't exactly sofa-cushion change - but rather the principle of the matter. However, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to oppose repealing the classification of the cartel of Jerry Jones & Company as a non-profit (yes, you read the right) would be so, so wrong...

Quote:
The NFL has been classified as not-for-profit since about 1942. Then in 1966, lest there be any question, Congress amended the law to specifically list professional football leagues as 501 (c) 6 organizations — along with chambers of commerce and boards of trade. It happened as a result of horse trading with Congress that included an antitrust exemption for the NFL that helped it merge with the AFL, a rival league. In exchange, Congress received pledges from the NFL, including a promise to add a franchise in New Orleans.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/nfl-tax-exempt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
So this means what?

I can see other teams play on CBS at 1pm if my local team has a home game on FOX at 1pm?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 PM

573 posts, read 586,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
So this means what?

I can see other teams play on CBS at 1pm if my local team has a home game on FOX at 1pm?
Pretty sure it means that say if you live in D.C. and the Redskins game doesn't sell out, they can't blackout the game on local TV preventing you from watching as punishment for not attending the game and overpaying to see the embarrassment that is the Redskins.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Pretty sure it means that say if you live in D.C. and the Redskins game doesn't sell out, they can't blackout the game on local TV preventing you from watching as punishment for not attending the game and overpaying to see the embarrassment that is the Redskins.
Oh that rule, what I used to experience in 1987 when the eagles were not good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football