Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 AM

10,175 posts, read 20,795,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I haven't really done the research, and I am sure there is a valid reason, but why do these two teams play every year? Schedule anomaly? NFL shamelessly rigging the schedule to make money?
I actually think it's refreshing to see games being made that people want to see. For most of last season the Monday night games were awful. This year we're seeing some better games on Monday's, the way they used to match them up when Madden was around and prior. For as long as Manning and Brady are playing for their respective teams, they should be matched up every season. Never a dull game when they meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,038,726 times
Bill Belichick had the pats go for it on 4th & 1 on the the pats 30 yard line with 1:57 left & 1 timeout left. WTF was he thinking. Stupid!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 PM

555 posts, read 1,574,328 times
Thank god Belichick had a rare moment of ignorance.....and at the right time too!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,378,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
O.J. wasn't found guilty either, doesn't mean it didn't happen. There's no crying here either, just pointing out that the 1 time, let me repeat, 1 time, the ponies beat the Pats in a meaningful game they needed help from their artificial environment.
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! I seem to recall some cheating allegations that were confirmed involving the use of video cameras with a certain team.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,245,869 times
I think aliens switched Bill Belichick's brain with Barry Switzer's before the game (or maybe at halftime).

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 PM

18,228 posts, read 25,885,077 times
He WASN'T thinking. You HAVE to punt the ball from your thirty. Maybe he was thinking his defense was "gassed" from the last touchdown drive but THIS touchdown drive was done in a short amount of time. That was one HECK of an ending!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,084,347 times
I can see why BB went for it. The "D" was exhausted, and he wanted to end it right there. Totally understand.............totally sucked that it didn't work. Was very close though!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,497,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
He WASN'T thinking. You HAVE to punt the ball from your thirty. Maybe he was thinking his defense was "gassed" from the last touchdown drive but THIS touchdown drive was done in a short amount of time. That was one HECK of an ending!
Advanced NFL Stats: Belichick's 4th Down Decision vs the Colts

Quote:
New England coach Bill Belichick is taking a lot of heat for his decision to attempt a 4th down conversion late in the game against the Colts. Indianapolis came back to win in dramatic fashion. Was the decision a good one?

With 2:00 left and the Colts with only one timeout, a successful conversion wins the game for all practical purposes. A 4th and 2 conversion would be successful 60% of the time. Historically, in a situation with 2:00 left and needing a TD to either win or tie, teams get the TD 53% of the time from that field position. The total WP for the 4th down conversion attempt would therefore be:

(0.60 * 1) + (0.40 * (1-0.53)) = 0.79 WP

A punt from the 28 typically nets 38 yards, starting the Colts at their own 34. Teams historically get the TD 30% of the time in that situation. So the punt gives the Pats about a 0.70 WP.

Statistically, the better decision would be to go for it, and by a good amount. However, these numbers are baselines for the league as a whole. You'd have to expect the Colts had a better than a 30% chance of scoring from their 34, and an accordingly higher chance to score from the Pats' 28. But any adjustment in their likelihood of scoring from either field position increases the advantage of going for it. You can play with the numbers any way you like, but it's pretty hard to come up with a realistic combination of numbers that make punting the better option. At best, you could do is make it a wash.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,494,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I actually think it's refreshing to see games being made that people want to see. For most of last season the Monday night games were awful. This year we're seeing some better games on Monday's, the way they used to match them up when Madden was around and prior. For as long as Manning and Brady are playing for their respective teams, they should be matched up every season. Never a dull game when they meet.
Wow! You called it! Congrats to the Pats and the Colts for showing us how it's done! Entertaining game! Cut-that-meat owes BB for that win! The rich do get richer! Congrats especially to Colts fans!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,402,887 times
Great watching these two teams go at it. This is the NFL at its best! So refreshing seeing to exceptional teams rather than the spotty, mediocre play of my time here at home (Niners). I was rooting for the Patriots. Great game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football