Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Smooth CE7.4 - Elliptical Trainer

smooth-ce74-elliptical-trainer photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

The Smooth CE7.4 Elliptical Trainer is built to last, with a welded steel frame that will support a user weight up to 350 lbs. This model retails for $3,297, but I was able to purchase it on sale for only $1,500, and I doubt I could find a better one for this amount of money. The Smooth CE7.4 elliptical trainer comes with an impressive manufacturer's warranty. There is a lifetime warranty on both the frame and the magnetic braking system, a 5-year warranty on parts and electronics, and a 2-year warranty covering in-home labor. It has a heavy-duty flywheel, which provides for a smooth "ride." Some other elliptical trainers I tried out seemed very jerky. Additionally, it is relatively quiet and quickly responds to changes I make in programs or resistance levels during an exercise session, which wasn't necessarily the case with some of the other ellipticals under consideration.

The moving handlebars on the Smooth CE7.4 allow me to get both an upper body and a lower body workout at the same time. The large foot pedals pivot and are ergonomically designed to minimize strain. The stride length of this particular Smooth model is fixed at 21 inches, which works well for my husband and me since we are both tall. An adjustable-stride model would be better if the users are significantly different in height and, therefore, stride length.

This machine features a dot matrix LED display that can be switched between English and metric units. The display provides the user with information on course profiles, rpm, speed, watts, time, distance, calories, resistance level, metabolic equivalents, pulse, and heart rate and target heart rate. There are thirteen programs available--manual, fitness test, fat burning, target heart rate, interval, strength, 3 Goal (time, distance, and calories), MET (metabolic equivalents), and 5 programs that the user customizes for himself. The heart rate monitor features a chest strap and is wireless. The system is designed to adjust the resistance level as the heart rate changes, based on the heart rate target you enter if you choose to use this feature. This elliptical trainer offers 16 resistance levels. There is an IPod docking station, complete with speakers, in front of the LED display, a 3-speed, adjustable, built-in fan at the top of the display, and there is a water bottle holder--a must-have feature for me.

As might be expected, this elliptical trainer has a fairly large footprint. It is 83 inches long, 27 inches wide, and 67 inches high, so the consumer needs to consider if he has the room to accommodate it. It does have wheels on the bottom, which makes it fairly easy to move from one room to another if the user wishes.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews