Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Rowenta DZ5080 Focus Stainless-Steel 1700-Watt Iron

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

The iron is significantly bigger than anything I have used - slightly fatiguing, even! The iron doesn't even fit into my cupboards.
That being said, this was expected, as many irons of this caliber are quite large.

The biggest inconvenience, and this may be for ALL stainless steel plate irons is that a residue builds up on the surface and adds drag to the ironing. About 2 weeks into the ironing, the iron would not glide. I took a large, multi-folded cloth napkin and cleaned out the hot iron. Also, the settings dial is quite easy to nudge to another setting by accident. There also isn't a lot of steam.

I think most of the high-end irons use stainless steel as it is a good conductor of heat, it heats more effectively, maybe to higher temperatures and retains that heat... but the Rowenta DZ5080 Focus Stainless-Steel 1700-Watt Iron doesn't have a non stick covering.

I used distilled water instead of tap water in my old iron as I did not want to deal with cleaning the build up of calcium and it never leaked water anywhere throughout my years using it. What you might not realize is that after cleaning your iron is that the calcium will smear your next few clothes. It's just unnecessary since I'd rather remove the water daily than use non-distilled water.

All irons seem to have sufficient water capacity for 2-3 cotton clothes - whether this comes out as auto-steam or the manual jet steam. And I think this is a good thing if you have to refill often as then you don't have water left over to leak.

I do love this iron, but lighter, smaller irons will get the job done as well.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews