Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,622,396 times

Advertisements

DeLonghi SafeHeat Electric Radiator Heater EW6507W

Rating: 2 out of 5
  • Currently 2.0/5.0

I purchased this space heater (MSRP $37.00) when I came home from a trip to discover that my HVAC unit had malfunctioned. In an effort to heat closed-off portions of my home until the HVAC unit could be repaired, I purchased three of these machines. This was the least expensive heater tagged for being able to heat a large room. Frankly, I have been quite unimpressed by its performance and features.

First, while its appearance is no worse than most radiator-style heaters, it is large and visually unappealing. While some more expensive models are made more fashionable with black coloring (which makes them blend in with other electronic equipment), this heater is off-white with some black fixtures and a few red pieces.

The one saving grace of this heater is its wheels, which make it easier to move, a necessity considering the fact that there is only one handle by which to move it once it has begun to get hot. In general, off-white parts of the heater are hot to the touch, while black areas are cool. The wheels do not operate smoothly on carpet, even if the carpet is not plush, so be sure to place the heater exactly where you want it to remain before turning it on.

Since only one side of the machine has a little red light to show that it is in use, the heater poses a danger when the room is dark. Unless you have multiple expanses of space (one in which to walk and another in which to walk), you should be sure to access a light source before passing the area near the heater in order to avoid upsetting it or burning yourself. Needless to say, this heater may not be a wise choice for homes in which young children or pets are running around.

When I first used the heater, I was trying to heat an 18x15 ft. space that started out in the low 40s. While the heater did make the room warmer than its unheated counterparts, the process was extremely slow. Even after running for 12 hours, it did not bring the room to a comfortable temperature. After my HVAC unit was repaired, I used the heater to heat the same space in the evenings so that I could keep the overall house temperature a bit lower. The heater is significantly more effective at making a room that is already at a fairly comfortable temperature a bit warmer. I would recommend the heater for this use.

One positive feature of the heater is the fact that it possesses switches that allow you to use more or less power to produce low, medium or high heat (in addition to a numbered heat switch). On the negative side, because the heater operates based on levels of heat delivered using multiple controls, it can be difficult to identify the appropriate setting for your application. Temperature-based controls are much clearer and easier to use.

While this heater may be good for supplementing other heat sources in a closed-off space, I find that its many downsides outweigh its usefulness. This heater is unattractive, useless as a primary heat source or a source of heat for a non-enclosed area, and may even be hazardous in certain situations. It may be among the least expensive heaters purporting to heat large spaces, but it is not one that I would recommend.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews