Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
NO! My husband would make up the most crazy stories and tell people that he used to live in England, that he owned a jet, that he owned RCA, and all kinds of crazy stuff....

Just one of the many reasons that my husband realized he NEEDED to be 100% sober for the rest of his life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Some people don't even know who they are, who you are, or what they are doing. It would be pretty hard to tell truths in that state of mind.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I"m a firm believer in drunken words being a persons sober thoughts. So yes, people are more honest.
I believe so, too, not to mention sayings never come out of the blue, no matter how much some people like to frown upon them as being generalizations.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
It depends on the person. If I had a friend who got more relaxed and more honest (not that I hang out with liars) I might believe what they say if they get really drunk and REALLY open up. If my friends were pathological liars (and I've known a few who were otherwise good) I wouldn't trust a word and would continue partying.

I get more honest when I drink but I

a) never say anything to embarass myself when I'm drunk
b) just get really funny and people would probably just take it as a joke anyway.

Alcohol impairs the mind, which can be the things you say, your motor function, or the things you do. I've seen way more people with screwy motor function or screwy actions when they are drunk, and not the things they say.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I know that alcohol can impair the senses and so you are more prone to say things that you would not say if in a sober state. But, I often wonder if being intoxicated allows a person to more freely tell the truth or make them lie even more. More times than not whatever was said is not remembered the next day. Just a thought.
If it's something like "You have a dumbo vagina" then yeah, it's probably what he really thinks.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Some people probably think you look hot after getting drunk. I bet quite a few people got together that normally wouldn't have after drinking. People get married, women get pregnant, guys get into fights. I saw several times at a club we used to go to, many men and women thinking that they could take on 6 or more security guys at the club. Not one of those people ever was successfull at it. Saying all that, if people do things that they would not normally do, maybe they say things that they would not normally say.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,677 times
Looking at the responses, I think it depends on each individual person. When I drink alcohol, I don't get drunk to the point where I black out or my judgment is so severely impaired that I have no control over what I'm saying. I've never felt that way. Alcohol only relaxes me and makes me feel less inhibited, so I do and say what's actually on my mind instead of supressing myself. I'm not inhibited anymore, so yes, I guess I am more honest when I drink alcohol.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But they talk loud all of the time!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Some people probably think you look hot after getting drunk. I bet quite a few people got together that normally wouldn't have after drinking. People get married, women get pregnant, guys get into fights. I saw several times at a club we used to go to, many men and women thinking that they could take on 6 or more security guys at the club. Not one of those people ever was successfull at it. Saying all that, if people do things that they would not normally do, maybe they say things that they would not normally say.
They probably thought that they had super-human strength, lol!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I have had a few marriage proposals and confessions of undying love from my male friends while drunk, so maybe it's a bit of both

I do become a little more 'free flowing' with my words and opinions when I've been drinking, but I haven't been flat out drunk in a really long time. Me and my girlfriends get in arguments, but they're not mean-spirited, we love each other too much for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology