Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:39 PM

217 posts, read 431,261 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you would think what you said was harsh if you weren't you, but I'm not going to drag this out or anything because I'm sure you are a very nice person.

I'm not sure what you find disturbing. Is it that I care how social skills have changed for what I consider the worst? Because yeah, I do care about that and find it very sad! I wish I was apathetic to this change in society because it would be easier! In any case I live a great life with a close knit family, some friends that I know will be in my life a really long time, I have a good head on my shoulders, hobbies, interests, and my health.

I have observed that MOST people in public are too busy to use real life social skills versus playing around with their phone so looks like you have any different experiences than me, or I need to get my eyes checked

You have to generalize most things because there is a significant amount of this versus that. Of course not everyone is the same which is why I said that I am an outlier in this- most people are just like you with what you said you do when you are bored. Again not all, but most.

If I am in a crowded room with a bunch of 20-30somethings I would anticipate that if they don't know each other that MOST would keep themselves busy with their phones versus not using their phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The most disturbing part, is that you actually care.. I didn't respond harshly, I just find you to be an extremely weird person for actually caring what other people do. I find it even worse that you generalize and say that no one reads anymore because they are busy on their cell phones. I go out quite often, and never come across people who are too busy to talk because they are on their cell phones. Don't grow up to be that grumpy old lady that shouts at kids who go in her yard. come on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I propose an experiment for everyone:
Turn off all electronic gadgets for 1 week. No personal cellphone, no computer, no tv, no ipod. Maybe only focus on the TV.

Can you do it?

I challenged myself. I went without TV for almost 1 year, but I did have internet. I also went without a cellphone for 3 months when I traveled to another country. It was nice.

Without TV, I found numerous other things to occupy my time. I read more, learned more, and went outside more. When people would come over, I would put on some music. Some people felt uncomfortable with to TV to buffer the human interaction, and thought I went crazy. Instead, there are games to play.

When I returned to university later in life, instead of talking before class like we used to do 10 years ago, students would avoid eye contact, stare at their phone, or put their earbuds in. When I attempted to talk to them (not all), some would give my the deer-in-headlights look.

Technology is great, but when it rules one's life it turns evil. I don't like to be dependent on anything, so I always am up for testing myself.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
...but I really don't understand why, even though we often get together and have parties, hang out, date, etc... why everything feels so isolated and fake?

Or maybe it's just me who's already a grumpy 20 year old guy. Hmph
Kill the TV.

[seriously, stop watching TV]

Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hey dude, I'm your age (and funny enough have a similar background as my family also moved here when I was 3). I'm part of a campus organization that tries to raise awareness about human trafficking. I'm also trying to become more involved in the animal welfare organization (their schedule didn't really jive with mine this semester). Plenty of students in all sorts of organizations like that.

So yeah, a lot of people our age do care. You just gotta look for 'em! There's nothing going on like there was in the 60s because there isn't one big unifying thing. Everyone our age was affected by Vietnam.
I was going to say the same thing. I know A LOT of Generation Y that cares about real issues, and they are actively doing something about it. Some are into Racial Reconciliation, Human Trafficking, Eco, and you name it.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
College age adults in the 60's did not grow up watching TV.

When TV came out, it had limited programming, NO SEX...
And if you live in the US, it still has no sex. Lots of violence, however. Where do you live? Oh, Maine. You must have a tall antenna to get some feed from Canada!

The thing about TVs prior to about 1965 is that they weren't solid state. Those tubes failed all the time. There was only one set and it also had "the man of the house" who decided what would be watched. Playing outdoors was far more fun.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
I agree DrEarth-------there are too many technological wonders in this era. Generation Y has its attention span divided by video games, i pods, cell phones, computers.

I myself use some of these-----yet not all day long and into the night.

I think some in Gen Y have a narrow concentration span------as a result anything that requires some time to invest in reading or viewing is difficult. Applications or programming that doesnt require a huge time allocation and investment is the key thing today.

I agree there are still a lot of Generation y people that are focused and dedicated to learning. It just is my observation that I see too many burying their head and texting endlessly----maybe I am becomming an old fuddy duddy.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I propose an experiment for everyone:
Turn off all electronic gadgets for 1 week. No personal cellphone, no computer, no tv, no ipod. Maybe only focus on the TV.

Can you do it?

I challenged myself. I went without TV for almost 1 year, but I did have internet. I also went without a cellphone for 3 months when I traveled to another country. It was nice.

Without TV, I found numerous other things to occupy my time. I read more, learned more, and went outside more. When people would come over, I would put on some music. Some people felt uncomfortable with to TV to buffer the human interaction, and thought I went crazy. Instead, there are games to play.

When I returned to university later in life, instead of talking before class like we used to do 10 years ago, students would avoid eye contact, stare at their phone, or put their earbuds in. When I attempted to talk to them (not all), some would give my the deer-in-headlights look.

Technology is great, but when it rules one's life it turns evil. I don't like to be dependent on anything, so I always am up for testing myself.
I love what you have written and bolded what are my exact thoughts.

I always challenge my students to take a "Thoreau Day or Week" after we are done with Transcendentalism. And through the decades, it is becoming harder and harder for them to even TRY a day as they are so "connected" to so many electronic devices. However, last year I had one girl disconnect from both her cell phone (she did use the land line when necessary) and comp, and she told me that at first, she was having extreme anxiety and withdrawal, but after a few days, she was totally "destressed" as she was free from all the "drama" going on in her social networks and not privvy to the texts messages about that drama or the inane ones, and for the first time in a long time, she enjoyed not being distrubed and being with her family. THis year, however, not one person did it....saw no value in the experiment at all.

But getting back to the OP's question, yes, the kids of the 60's were united as I am one of them, and were aware of what was going on like all others who lived throught it already responded. We were a "cohesive" group and it traversed racial/ethnic lines as well. However, I do think there are kids out there who are like you as I have taught many; you just need to find them. And to be honest, I am surprised that you are in college and cannot any students who are "united" in any common goals. Are you sure you have looked? AND if there are not, why not start one yourself?

Old 12-25-2011, 05:25 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
First of all, my parents are immigrants and I came to the States when I was 3, but I am experiencing a lack of coherence in the youth culture surrounding me (in college).

If there was a time period I could have the opportunity to experience, I seriously consider the 60s. Not because I like all the music or anything like that (I'm hardly a fan of rock n roll), but it seems that the youth then - albeit taking it to an extreme sometimes - were much more united in their experience and attitudes, something that is missing in the youth today. I know I am sounding like an old guy for saying what's "missing in the youth today...", but I really don't understand why, even though we often get together and have parties, hang out, date, etc... why everything feels so isolated and fake?

Or maybe it's just me who's already a grumpy 20 year old guy. Hmph
Join the Occupy Wall Street crowd. I think you'd find plenty of young people who care about real issues there.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:54 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,560 times
I don't think people are less smart or less concerned about the state of the world that before, but I feel that we're the most isolated, introverted, and pessimistic generation in some time. Technology increased new forms of interaction and caused traditional forms to decline, the overall media message of today is apathetic, pessimistic, and hedonist, and fewer entry level jobs for those just exiting college mean that we're working more for less and have less of a safety net that the Baby Boomers had ( both in terms of traditional family structure and in terms of plentiful job alternatives ). Though the education system of half a century ago had some very severe flaws we often forget about these days, it was more likely to put someone in a secure economic position on graduation, and with most students I knew working and studying full time, there wasn't much room for student activism '60s style, even among those who'd like to take part.

On another level, there are fewer singular, uniting causes than there were back then. In the US, the Vietnam protest movement was fueled by the fact that the very age group that was protesting it was at risk of getting drafted to fight it ( this may sound cynical, but the best way to bring back '60s-style war protests would be to reinstate the draft ). The women's and civil rights movement were already gaining momentum by the time the hippie generation came along. Environmentalism was new, and there were a few, main, definable causes rather than the plethora of concerns today.

What cause could unite Generation Y? We're not just self-absorbed - youth movements always were ( there as much mindless hedonism in the '60s, if not more, than today ), but there's little that puts the multi-cultural mix of diverse viewpoints all in one basket these days.

As for TV, well, I don't own a TV. I had one as a kid, but I never enjoyed it the way other people seemed to, and by adolescence, I stopped watching it altogether. Sometimes I download series people recommend and watch them on my computer, and I still love many movies, but the commercials on regular TV get on my wick too much to enjoy it. I'm not alone this; I know many people like me.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
It seems most people who are that way do not have many passions or goals in life.

I'm 28 but after finishing college, I've rarely run into people like what you've described. Once they start "real life", they're forced to deal with issues other than simply TV and sex alone.. or if they choose to ignore the real world, they'll run into serious hardships. And trust me, anyone who has experienced any sort of hardship is gonna care about more than TV and sex.
I agree.
I have several friends who are recent college graduates and care deeply about the environment, politics and the world that they live in.

Sure, you hear and see the vapid ones, but don't let visibility fool you.
There are many young adults who are engaged and engaging and making a difference in all of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology