Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why young people continue to take up the habit considering the cost, the obvious health problems, etc. BUT, being an ex-smoker, I totally get why people don't stop. I started smoking in my early twenties. I worked full time, went to college full time and was working the graveyard shift ( 11pm - 7am). Co-workers told me cigarettes would help me to stay awake so I tried it, never imaginging I would get addicted. I smoked off and on for 10 years, always trying to quit, going several months at a time and then going back to it. Why? The protracted withdrawl. I would stop smoking for 3, 4, even 6 months, then suddenly wake up feeling like I had just had my last cigarette before I went to sleep and be able to think of NOTHING else but a cigarette. I would become so irritable I wanted to kill people. I once read that the intense craving only lasts for a few minutes and then subsides. That is complete bulls#@T. I was lucky enough to have hypnosis work for me. It took several sessions but eventually worked for me. I haven't had the slightest postive thought about a cigarette in over 20 years but, had that not worked, I don't know if I would have ever succeeded. And I don't have an addictive personality - everything else I have always done in moderation. But nicotine is extremely addictive. I've watched others die of emphysema, still smoking until the day they day, while alternating between oxygen and a cigarette. I get it. Just grateful that I was able to find a way to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I don't understand why young people continue to take up the habit considering the cost, the obvious health problems, etc. BUT, being an ex-smoker, I totally get why people don't stop. I started smoking in my early twenties. I worked full time, went to college full time and was working the graveyard shift ( 11pm - 7am). Co-workers told me cigarettes would help me to stay awake so I tried it, never imaginging I would get addicted. I smoked off and on for 10 years, always trying to quit, going several months at a time and then going back to it. Why? The protracted withdrawl. I would stop smoking for 3, 4, even 6 months, then suddenly wake up feeling like I had just had my last cigarette before I went to sleep and be able to think of NOTHING else but a cigarette. I would become so irritable I wanted to kill people. I once read that the intense craving only lasts for a few minutes and then subsides. That is complete bulls#@T. I was lucky enough to have hypnosis work for me. It took several sessions but eventually worked for me. I haven't had the slightest postive thought about a cigarette in over 20 years but, had that not worked, I don't know if I would have ever succeeded. And I don't have an addictive personality - everything else I have always done in moderation. But nicotine is extremely addictive. I've watched others die of emphysema, still smoking until the day they day, while alternating between oxygen and a cigarette. I get it. Just grateful that I was able to find a way to stop.
Because stronger than that is the need to belong. If the people who accept you in their circle are the smokers, you will smoke to be a part of them. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but The Tipping Point really covers this in detail, because so many people wonder the same thing you did.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 PM

224 posts, read 828,874 times
I had heard young people today are taking up smoking in vast numbers again because nicotine helps you stay thin.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,494,549 times
Just wanted to re-enforce the message that nicotine is an addictive substance that stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain.

Remove that substance and your brain will no longer signal/accept pleasure in any form. Serotonin and/or other crucial neurotransmitters are not produced. This affects people differently. For some it is merely unpleasant and they can work through it until their brains and bodies adapt and heal.

For others -- the brain will actually send "death" signals to the body, which include but are not limited to, physical pain, nausea, exhaustion, insomnia and/or malaise so deep as to be unendurable.

This is why so many people take antidepressants to get off of nicotine. Wellbutrin was the only thing that worked for my mother-in-law.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 AM

224 posts, read 828,874 times
I can't help but think part of the addiction to smoking has a social connection as smoking is a social outlet of sorts. I recall hearing coworkers talk about how quitting cigarettes also made them lose friends because they were no longer one of the smoking gang that would sit outside at work, smoke & talk. The smokers oddly enough were the most popular people at work and the social network they had going seemed to help them advance on the job to higher positions.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Just wanted to re-enforce the message that nicotine is an addictive substance that stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain.

Remove that substance and your brain will no longer signal/accept pleasure in any form. Serotonin and/or other crucial neurotransmitters are not produced. This affects people differently. For some it is merely unpleasant and they can work through it until their brains and bodies adapt and heal.

For others -- the brain will actually send "death" signals to the body, which include but are not limited to, physical pain, nausea, exhaustion, insomnia and/or malaise so deep as to be unendurable.

This is why so many people take antidepressants to get off of nicotine. Wellbutrin was the only thing that worked for my mother-in-law.
Interesting. I haven't had all those things, but I've definitely noticed physical pain--joint pain, stiffness and aches in the legs--since I quit smoking. I took it to be that they were there but the nicotine masked them. Since I quit smoking it's harder to get in and out of bed or in and out of a car, for example, because it hurts my legs and requires more of an effort. It's not crippling pain or anything, but it's there and it wasn't there before.

The depression from quitting smoking (it's been six months) has eased somewhat, but it's still there. However, I think I've just become more accustomed to it and it's now my "normal".

I took Wellbutrin for two years and still smoked. Had no effect whatsoever.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 AM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quit after 35 years, just passed the six-month mark. Sometimes I think I'd like JUST one, but I know there would never be just one.
Keep it up! Once you pass the one year mark, it becomes much easier and you will think about smoking less and less. I think it takes months for the nicotine and other substances to be eliminated from your body, including from your brain. It's amazing how much your skin clears up, your breathing becomes deeper and how much more energy you have. (Having said all that, I still miss the smell of it and find myself envying people, for example in restaurants, who are smoking. Pathetic, I know.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I don't understand why young people continue to take up the habit considering the cost, the obvious health problems, etc.
I think they believe they will never become addicted. (Certainly my own belief at that age.) Reading the recent studies on the brain, it's clear that one's brain doesn't completely develop until his/her mid-twenties or so. Lots of risk taking, it-will-never-happen-to-me behavior then.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,963,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

This is not true. The science of whether or not your brain produces serotonine is not controled by whether or not you stop smoking.
Addiction does affect serotonine, but just because an addiction is stopped, you can not conclude that seritonine will no longer be produced.
Not sure where you go your information, but your post is not consistant with what I have read on addiction.

"Death signals" ? sounds like withdrawel to me.
But, I am no expert in addiction or smoking. I just watch many close people around me smoke, and wonder why...
Only after a converstion with my mom (a 40 year smoker) did I start lookin up addiction.
Interesting stuff, but at the end of the day, The smoker has to want to quit from within, any other attempt will most likely fail.
and most smokers simply are not "ready" to quit.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times
I have uncles who are alcoholics/drug addicts. One of the four has finally gotten clean but the damage to his brain is already done. As they all tried to get clean, they were diagnosed with mental problems. Did they have these problems before or after their addictions? We don't know for sure but we believe they had these problems and the drugs and alcohol
Hit the problems. My sister and I also have mental problems but neither of us ever smoked nor used illegal drugs. We both drank for a few years but easily gave it up. How is it that my sister and I never got addicted but our close relatives easily got addicted to drugs and alcohol?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,789 times
Read somewhere that soon there is going to be a vaccine that will neutralize the "pleasure" effect that smoking/drugs have on the brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology