Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,951 times

Advertisements

I've never had any emotional or mental issues. I'm the type of person that believes in the common-sense approach to your issues. I believe if you take care of your body correctly, everything else will fall into place. I was also raised in a very old fashioned family, which can probably explain.

I went through a bad divorce a couple years ago, but I managed to keep everything in place. I'm the type of person that I just keep on doing, because I know it has to be done. I don't like to worry or over-analyze anything because I feel I'm just wasting time and energy.

I feel like I have been overextending myself lately and doing too much. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I'm also getting this very tight feeling in my throat and it feels like it's hard for me to breath or swallow. I'm considering therapy, but I have crappy insurance. I have tried natural approaches such as yoga and relaxation, but that's not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Hi Leilani. I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I believe a lot of people at some time in their lives get overwhelmed just by living and everything that can involve. There is a wonderful forum called anxiety zone which has a lot of people on there suffering from anxiety, panic, depression and many other things. It might be helpful for you to go on there and look at the different forums. I know it's hard when you have been able to "handle" things that have come your way, but there is nothing to be ashamed of if and when you get to the point that you need some emotional support. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
One thing which helps me is that I remind myself that a person can only do a certain amount of things in a day and can only do so many things to solve a problem.

Or a person can only be expected to do their best and only do what they CAN do.

For example my elderly father was doing some financial things which could get him into tax trouble he did not understand. I said "Don't do that." My brother told him "Don't do that." He made the choice to ignore both of us. My brother's wife called me up and was all upset about this and so forth. I said all we can do is advise him to not do that. If he ignores our advice, there is NOTHING more we can do, so I am not going to worry about it. I've done the best I can.

I told her there is no point in getting upset about something you can't do anything about. You have done all you can, so forget about it and go have fun.

So far as too many things to get done in one day, same thing. I can only do so much in one day. If I don't get everything done, then so be it. I've done my best and that is all anyone can ask. If something bad happens because I did not get something done, then so be it!

Just do the best you can!

When I get stressed out, exercise helps. Going for a walk or similar. Also if too much stress hitting me from all directions (I am being attacked by the "stress monsters"! ), then laying in a dark quiet room is helpful. Remove all stimulus (sound, light, etc.) Silence is golden!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:43 AM

This is my weekly m-f routine:

4:40AM - Get up, get dressed, take son to work for 6:00AM (half hour commute for landscaping summer job. He's taking college classes any other time)
6:00AM - drop son off at work, go to gym for a little over an hour. Get dressed there and head to work for 8:00AM.
5:00PM - leave work and travel 20 - 30 minutes to pick up son. I usually don't get home until about 6:15.
When I get home I usually cook dinner and clean up. I have a 17 year old daughter who works a part time job. She needs to be picked up between 9 and 11.

I'm moving constantly Monday through friday non-stop.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Hobbies.
Avoid the stressor (if possible).
Accept that some things just are and there's isn't a whole lot you can do about it.
Exercise.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 AM

I'm exercising between an hour and 1:20 5 days a week. I'm very physically fit and take good care of my body. I even do yoga once a week.

As far as hobbies, I'm a big outdoors person but can't seem to find the time for it lately. Their father is not a contributing factor in supporting them and that makes it harder on me.

I know there's not a lot I can do about a lot of things, but I'm starting to feel physical signs of stress, like the tight feeling in my throat and sleeping issues. I have to force myself to eat sometimes because I just don't have an appetite. These are a few things that I feel are beyond my control at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hobbies.
Avoid the stressor (if possible).
Accept that some things just are and there's isn't a whole lot you can do about it.
Exercise.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
This is my weekly m-f routine:

4:40AM - Get up, get dressed, take son to work for 6:00AM (half hour commute for landscaping summer job. He's taking college classes any other time)
6:00AM - drop son off at work, go to gym for a little over an hour. Get dressed there and head to work for 8:00AM.
5:00PM - leave work and travel 20 - 30 minutes to pick up son. I usually don't get home until about 6:15.
When I get home I usually cook dinner and clean up. I have a 17 year old daughter who works a part time job. She needs to be picked up between 9 and 11.

I'm moving constantly Monday through friday non-stop.
If that is 9 to 11 PM to pick up the daughter, perhaps she could find a ride home?

She could get a car and also drop off the brother for work?

Brother could take city bus to work? Get a car?

Daughter could find another job which is not so late?

Daughter could quit the job if necessary.

Lots of options.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM

My daughter's working on getting a car. She has the majority of money saved up so this is just temporary. This is her first job. In Massachusetts you need a work permit, if you're under 18, so most places won't hire you if they have to deal with that.

My son is working for my company. This also is temporary. We live in Massachusetts and commute to Connecticut so public transportation isn't likely.

His dad helped me out last summer but refused to do so this summer. He has a new girlfriend and has not spoke to either of my children and has refused to come around them over the last few months.

I was working a part time job, but recently quit that to focus more on my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
If that is 9 to 11 PM to pick up the daughter, perhaps she could find a ride home?

She could get a car and also drop off the brother for work?

Brother could take city bus to work? Get a car?

Daughter could find another job which is not so late?

Daughter could quit the job if necessary.

Lots of options.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
Quote:
I've never had any emotional or mental issues. I'm the type of person that believes in the common-sense approach to your issues. I believe if you take care of your body correctly, everything else will fall into place. I was also raised in a very old fashioned family, which can probably explain.

I went through a bad divorce a couple years ago, but I managed to keep everything in place. I'm the type of person that I just keep on doing, because I know it has to be done. I don't like to worry or over-analyze anything because I feel I'm just wasting time and energy.

I feel like I have been overextending myself lately and doing too much. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I'm also getting this very tight feeling in my throat and it feels like it's hard for me to breath or swallow. I'm considering therapy, but I have crappy insurance. I have tried natural approaches such as yoga and relaxation, but that's not working.

Because you have considered therapy I do have something to share with you. I use it every day of my life, and more than once a day. It's something we can do while doing physical work, exercise and even while driving. It's "the" discovery of the century per mental/emotional health and coincidence or not even my physical health improves every time I have a new symptom, and after a few days at the most.

Here is what a mental health physician says about it,

Dr. George Hayter, M.D., Psychiatrist and Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, says the Exercise "…is the only program of self-therapy which achieves the desired end-state of therapy; to lessen the dependence on the therapist – the goal is self-awareness.” Also, he says, “It’s the only approach that I have ever seen in the whole field of psychology which allows you to become independent, competent and effective.”

HERE is where you can check it out and if you choose to, use it for free as many times as you wish. I found that I didn't need the recording but a very, very few times, and never again.

www.copingstrategiescd.com

Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
My daughter's working on getting a car. She has the majority of money saved up so this is just temporary. This is her first job. In Massachusetts you need a work permit, if you're under 18, so most places won't hire you if they have to deal with that.

My son is working for my company. This also is temporary. We live in Massachusetts and commute to Connecticut so public transportation isn't likely.

His dad helped me out last summer but refused to do so this summer. He has a new girlfriend and has not spoke to either of my children and has refused to come around them over the last few months.

I was working a part time job, but recently quit that to focus more on my family.
Are you just getting 5 hours of sleep a night?

If yes, that can't continue. You need your rest.

Forget about the dad, you have enough to worry about!

Another option is there are nice bosses out there. Maybe if you or your kids explain the situation, one of the bosses will allow someone to change their hours so you can get some sleep?

Another is to have a family meeting. Say you just can't continue at this pace. Something has to give. Leave it up to the kids to find a solution.

I hope things work out ok! Your kids have a good mom! (Supermom!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology