Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
But, dont you think that we all have a Moral Law (Code) written on our hearts to be used as a barometer for determining what is right from wrong ... then choosing that which is right to do ? It would seem that alot of things in society are actually dependent on such an intrinsic Moral Code existing .
I don't think that there is such a thing as a universal moral code that resides somewhere deep in our DNA. Societies create their own moral codes, and those codes differ among societies. What may be right for one is not necessarily right for another, and may in fact be diametrically the opposite. Compare some of the things that are seen morally right in other parts of the world that we find to be completely unreasonable. No common universal code going on there.

Morality is something that even changes over time within a society. One example, at one time slavery was considered acceptable and within the moral framework of our society, and then it was banished. Morality is an evolving thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
Trimac20...We have definitely become a society of "followers." I think about this when I watch commercials on TV. Corporations know how to manipulate us through our "good versus bad" beliefs..A "good mother" and "good wife" will rush out and buy all the latest products to keep her home "pure" and "germ-free" and "squeaky-clean" for her family at all times...A "good husband" will rush-out and buy his wife a "diamond something" for their anniversary or her birthday or Valentine's Day etc...I studied and sold and designed advertising so I know about all of the "baloney" and "hype" and how we get manipulated through our "good versus bad" beliefs...How far will we go to avoid being labeled "bad?" Or supposedly "dumb" or "lazy" or "uncaring" etc.? Will we "say yes" to things we "don't want" and give-up what we "do want" to avoid being stigmatized or ostracized?..Will we go into debt and buy, buy, buy and "upgrade" day and night just to "look good" on our "outside?"...I don't want to be manipulated by corporations or politicians or religious leaders. I don't want to be a "puppet" or "pawn" or "putty" in someone else's "hands."...I examine each situation that comes up in my life and decide for myself what might be the "best course of action." Sometimes I make "wise choices" and sometimes I make mistakes! I'm human! But thankfully humans have the ability to learn from their mistakes in life.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Most people are no good. Can't trust them, if U do, get burned by their ulterior motives and such.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I don't think that there is such a thing as a universal moral code that resides somewhere deep in our DNA. Societies create their own moral codes, and those codes differ among societies. What may be right for one is not necessarily right for another, and may in fact be diametrically the opposite. Compare some of the things that are seen morally right in other parts of the world that we find to be completely unreasonable. No common universal code going on there.
That could be an interesting discussion, but probably turn into a threadjack. Still, it appears that every time an ethos progresses to the point where it's written down, there are some universals: Don't steal stuff, don't kill others, make sure the women and kids are cared for etc. Most of course come with a big fat set of exceptions, beginning with "Not applicable to those outside our tribe/race/religion/fiefdom/kingdom/nation". Often handled by defining those others as not really being humans.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
We're going to have to quantify what good is and what bad is.

What would you say about having the 10 Commandments, Jesus' teachings, in conjuction with our God given Moral Conscience which reflect absolute moral laws ....as the ultimate unchanging Moral Standard for all peoples to live according to ? Is there a higher standard , and, what might be some reasons why people would want to dissend from them ?

Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 AM

37 posts, read 59,843 times
Most people may not be evil but most people are generally greedy,rude and want to take advantage of a good person. I restrict myself to 2-3 friends because of this, many people are ignorant of what it means to be a decent human being and a good individual. People develop these bad traits at a young age, starting in school most of the time.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Well, let me consider the evidence in my own recent experiences.

1. On a stop for breakfast yesterday, I witnessed four teenagers shift their seats to make room for others when they realized a line was forming at the counter.

2. While attending a high school athletic event, also yesterday, a person returned a $10 bill to the cashier after receiving too much change at the Boosters Club snack bar.

3. Last night, my husband stopped and assisted an older person, who was struggling to get out of the backseat of the car in which she was riding.

4. As I'm enjoying my morning tea at my kitchen window and perusing the forums, I see my neighbor shoveling snow from the driveway of another neighbor, and one of the morning walkers just picked up a piece of trash caught in a snow bank on the other side of the street, which I noticed because I was going to run out and get it after I finished my breakfast.

Yep, I'd say people are pretty good overall.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-02-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
most people suck

in real life: 7/10 in favor of bad

city-data: 8.5/10 in favor of bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology