Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did your life turn out the way you thought it would?
Yes 11 7.24%
No 141 92.76%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
I'm only 27, but my life derailed from what I thought it would be a decade ago. I think it's really about my attitude, and the fact that I've allowed my many bad experiences to shape who I've become. Fortunately, I'm relatively young, and completely have the ability to change my life...or "accept" my life (if I'm going by the quote from earlier). I'm just not sure how to start!

you dont allow bad experiences to shape you , thats therapy culture aswell as callous corporate ( people who blame victims rather than perpetrators ) culture talk

experiences change you whether you wish them to or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Not even remotely close to how I thought it'd be.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,097,534 times
It seems to have turned out the way I feared.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
No, it didn't turn out at all the way I expected at 22, but it turned out better than I ever expected. I love my life and I've been blessed in millions of ways. Thanks be to God.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:42 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,490 times
Im still living....so it turned out right
Most people look at with financial success, or gain
Im breathing and God is good what can I complain about.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 PM

26 posts, read 44,649 times
No.I'm in my late 50's. My marriage has been a disappointment. My career is in the toilet. One of my kids turned out great, the other one not so great. I have an AA degree that is now obsolete.But I have had a few small successes that I can look back on and be proud of. Unfortunately these successes were many years ago. I don't have have as many friends as I would like to. In the last few years I started having heart problems, even though I'm in otherwise good physical condition for someone my age.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
No, my life hasn't turned out at all the way I had imagined it. Disappointed in several aspects of my life, but I just kept on going thinking I had plenty of time and thinking about "someday." Now at 55, I am realizing that it's probably downhill from here and I really don't have that much time. I own a business but thought about changing careers - but then thought about being 60 and competing against 20 and 30 year olds for a job. I also have gotten every job I have ever wanted in my life - until the last year. When I thought about changing careers I applied four different places and only got an interview with one, and wasn't hired for any of them. Maybe I am overqualified, maybe I am asking for more money than they want to pay, or maybe 55 is just too old and they want someone younger.

I'm a little discouraged, too, because I saw my parents age and then die over the last two years, and it just seems so unfair to have to deteriorate physically (and sometimes mentally) and then die, to spend your last years not able to do the things you want to do, to have to endure pain and sickness, and then to be faced with giving up your home to pay for care that you need. You work hard all your life and try to make sure that your "golden" years are carefree, but they aren't. It's depressing.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
I wasn't the kind of person that had a lot of "dreams." So, in a way, I expected my life to pan out stereotypically (get married, get a job, buy a house, have some kids). And it did, (minus the kids, so far).

There is nothing special about my life. Sure, right before I got married, I liked the idea of never getting married (ha!), not having children (but adopting one eventually), being a nutritionist, and helping others somehow (volunteer work/charitable work, etc), but, I knew none of that would really happen. However, I'm only 27... granted, I've got another 50 years in me and could accomplish all of that.

But overall, I think my life is happening rather predictably, whether it's what I really want or not, I don't feel I have much room to complain about it.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I wasn't the kind of person that had a lot of "dreams." So, in a way, I expected my life to pan out stereotypically (get married, get a job, buy a house, have some kids). And it did, (minus the kids, so far).

There is nothing special about my life. Sure, right before I got married, I liked the idea of never getting married (ha!), not having children (but adopting one eventually), being a nutritionist, and helping others somehow (volunteer work/charitable work, etc), but, I knew none of that would really happen. However, I'm only 27... granted, I've got another 50 years in me and could accomplish all of that.

But overall, I think my life is happening rather predictably, whether it's what I really want or not, I don't feel I have much room to complain about it.
It doesn't sound to me as if it's what you really want.

So, I'll bite. Why did you "know" none of that would really happen? What kept you from pursuing what you wanted to do?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:34 PM

153 posts, read 156,527 times
I'm not quite 40 but my life has turned out to be very close to where I'd imaged after college. I've been married for 10 years, have 3 wonderful kids, an awesome job and working towards financial independence. Life is good right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology