Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times

Advertisements

I don't want this to get into a heated discussion. Just want to know how you'd rate (good, bad, "normal") your childhood and whether or not you want kids/have kids of your own, assuming you've met someone that you want to have kids with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Had a basically good-normal childhood (no abuse, no divorce, middle class, parents had clear rules, parents treated us well) but I NEVER wanted children. Even when I was a little girl, I used to say I never wanted to be a mommy, I just wanted animals.

So if your hypothesis is that people with bad childhoods are the ones who choose not to have kids, then I don't fit that assumption.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM

235 posts, read 536,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

So if your hypothesis is that people with bad childhoods are the ones who choose not to have kids, then I don't fit that assumption.
Not to mention, I know a number of people (good or bad childhoods) who did not *choose* or plan to have kids, but they do anyway.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,300 times
My childhood wasn't the best (messy divorce, negligent father, I grew up a little bit too fast because of it), but it had a lot of bright spots in between thanks to my mom. That being said, I still do want to have children with the hopes that I can give them the stress-free childhood that I never had.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 AM

652 posts, read 874,362 times
Some of the most responsible people never have children of their own. I can only assume they have watched what society does to children today with incompetent and unqualified parenting techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Had a basically good-normal childhood (no abuse, no divorce, middle class, parents had clear rules, parents treated us well) but I NEVER wanted children. Even when I was a little girl, I used to say I never wanted to be a mommy, I just wanted animals.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Great topic!! I think your own childhood has a huge impact on your decision to have kids & your parenting skills. Also, the culture/society has a lot to do with your decisions. In a lot of traditional, conservative societies its a given that you will get married & bear kids. You are left with no choice. In first world countries people do have a choice & are free to decide without any pressure to 'fit-in'.
When you have that freedom to make a choice, this is my observation..........
As an adult you will try to overcome the hurdles you faced as a child before you think about having a kid. Example, if you had an impoverished childhood then you will make sure that you have enough money before having a kid b'coz your experience taught you how the lack of resources affect the family. Same thing with kids from broken homes. They will work harder towards strengthening their marriage before thinking of kids. I am talking about people who grow up to be responsible adults. If someone is still recovering from their childhood abuse, its difficult to think clearly & make right decisions.

That said, I think our media is strong enough to brainwash us into 'desiring' a family. Look at all the ads of picture perfect families. They wont show the true picture. Even if you know that its selling the concept of a family as a product, its difficult to rebel against it & not be judged. Sometimes its easier to fit in than stand out.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
My childhood wasn't all ponies and parties, but it could have been worse- because of that, I grew up and used my past as a source of inspiration, and allowed those memories and segments to never bring me down and make me harden by the elements I overcame.

Every situation in life is an opportunity to grow, to exhibit kindness, and to learn. Personally, I may have many flaws, but I know I have softness and a nurturing side in my heart. I am confident I would have made an excellent mother. However, I can't have kids for medical reasons. I am however, excellent to my patients. I love them all- even the difficult ones.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I had a great childhood. I'd be the guy in the Farside cartoon, sitting in the middle of an empty convention hall with the banner saying "Adult Children of Normal Parents". I was constantly surrounded by cousins I liked, too.

I have one child, but would have been as happy having none. I don't regret having one whatsoever, but children are not appealing to me. There are many other things I'd have rather done with those years, than raise a child. I'm certainly glad I didn't have another.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
I grew up in a upper middle class household where my mother held her PhD in secondary education.
She always emphasized self discipline, financial security and education.
I was an only child.

My mom loved me totally and completely without conditions.
She gave me the best of everything including a solid education.

My wife and I have no children due to never having a desire for them.
I personally find procreation for the sake of such both dangerous to ones bottom line and fool hearty due to the state of the world in which we live in.

Think before you act.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
I had a "normal" childhood and love children (work with them every day) but I don't want to have any of my own. In my late teens/early twenties I really wanted to. Couldn't wait to be pregnant, conceive, the whole nine yards. Thought I'd be a pretty good mother, too. But now...I like my freedom and being able to sleep all night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology