Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times

Advertisements

Hi: I had a visit from my cousin who I hadn't seen in 20 years. She invited me to dinner and we met in Scranton, Pa. Linda who is 60+ but looks much younger and is quite attractive. She seemed very normal and was well dressed. We began to have dinner and the conversation flowed easily. She ordered a wine and I had a drink. While we were talking about old times and family members, she pulled out a sharpened number 2 pencil from her purse and started to twirl it around and then while still talking and not missing a beat, she stuck it in the corner of her eye, and she sort of sighed and seemed relieved. I was sort of shocked and asked her what she was doing, and she said that he eyes get hot and this relieves it.
I never mentioned it again the rest of the night. She would pull the pencil out numerous times during the evening and would poke he eyes again and again. Other than that, I had a lovely time with her and we want to see each other again. Has anyone ever heard of this behavior? Is this the new thing? Any suggestions? Is it dangerous? Should I warn her about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Lead contacting eye - can't be good.

Normal = if one defines that by "anything goes" = yes.

Otherwise maybe skip this one or tread ahead carefully.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I came in this thread expecting pencils and eyes, was not disappointed.

She should probably see an ophthalmologist.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
You're dating your cousin?

Do you think it's normal to stick pencils in your eye? Is she using the eraser part?

Ask if if she's had a tetanus shot lately, ok....

Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Umm. Yeah. She needs a medical professional.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
No I'm not dating my cousin! I guess I should have posted this on the "Non Romantic Relationship" forum or the psychology forum. I don't know. Maybe the mods will move it.

Anyway, she used the sharpened graphite part. And no, I don't think it's normal at all.

She seemed normal in every way and spoke about her grown children, her boyfriend (she's divorced) and about her hot eyes and how this cools them down, and about old times back in Brooklyn NY.

She also had a little pencil case in her Coach bag, with a variety of pencils with different tips. Some more blunt others more pointy.

She was very deft at this and moves the pencil around the corner of the eye and the lower rim touching the eyeball. No not the eraser part, the graphite part.

I didn't want to be rude and ask too many questions. I tried to take a picture with my cell phone to show my wife and kids but she removed the pencil and lowered it.

She was an elementary school teacher and is now a real estate broker. Maybe all of those years with pencils tempted her.

I was tempted to suggest Visene or Clear Eyes or a more conventional thing.

Has any one ever heard of this?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
So strange. I have never heard of that before. You should talk to her about it. She could hurt herself.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
She really should see a doctor about the poking issue. It's not Normal..

She could scratch her eye though and get an infection.

Obviously, she's got something going on with her eye and poking it with a pencil isn't going to help, but can actually make it worse.. She needs to seek medical attention...

Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM

331 posts, read 603,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Hi: I had a visit from my cousin who I hadn't seen in 20 years. She invited me to dinner and we met in Scranton, Pa. Linda who is 60+ but looks much younger and is quite attractive. She seemed very normal and was well dressed. We began to have dinner and the conversation flowed easily. She ordered a wine and I had a drink. While we were talking about old times and family members, she pulled out a sharpened number 2 pencil from her purse and started to twirl it around and then while still talking and not missing a beat, she stuck it in the corner of her eye, and she sort of sighed and seemed relieved. I was sort of shocked and asked her what she was doing, and she said that he eyes get hot and this relieves it.
I never mentioned it again the rest of the night. She would pull the pencil out numerous times during the evening and would poke he eyes again and again. Other than that, I had a lovely time with her and we want to see each other again. Has anyone ever heard of this behavior? Is this the new thing? Any suggestions? Is it dangerous? Should I warn her about this?

^^^^ 1) Never heard of anything like this! 2) Not a new thing I'd wanna try! 3) No suggestions, besides don't have irratated eyes around her, and if you do stay more than an arms length away, as she may try it on you too! 4) Lead poisioning is very dangerous, foreign objects in your eye can't be a good thing, let alone sharp foreign objects!! 5) I'd say ask her more about this behavior....there are safer and better options out there, I assure you, and please assure her!

On another note, yall were in a public place and without any warning she sticks a pencial in her eye (not only odd behavior) but timing, place...anyone find this something to seriously scratch their head about....

Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM

247 posts, read 688,829 times
Just to clarify, there is no actual lead in pencils, it's graphite. So while she won't get "lead poisoning", it is still unsanitary and just downright weird. It's even weirder that she does this out in public and thinks nothing of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology