Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,108 times

Advertisements

I had previously asked a question that many stated would require counseling/therapy. I am currently exploring this possibility. I would appreciate it if anyone could describe which type of counselor/therapist I should seek out ( as there are many). Any recommendations are appreciated.

I would also note that I do not wish to speak with the consolers at my school. I would prefer someone new that I am meeting for the first time.

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

Last edited by Jay Watson; 03-03-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
There's a few posters on here that I would ask this question to, and if they get a chance to answer this post, definitely consider those few posters advice.

I can't give you an answer to your question, I'm just glad that you're considering some counseling, though if I were in your shoes I'd sit down with my parents and have a long discussion with them about what's happened in the past 3 years.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM

I suppose one important question is; What is the typical cost for counseling/therapy sessions??

This will need to be taken into consideration, before any decision can be made as to who I will seek out.

Last edited by Jay Watson; 03-03-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
I suppose one important question is; What is the typical cost for consoling/therapy sessions??

This will need to be taken into consideration, before any decision can be made as to who I will seek out.
COUNSELING is often covered by insurance.

Speak to your parents so they can check into their policy and find out what the coverage is for you to see a therapist.

If your family does have insurance, your folks would likely only have to pay a co-pay - generally around $30.00 a visit.

If there is no insurance coverage, each session can cost up to $150.00

I am very glad for your sake that you are considering speaking with a professional

Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
COUNSELING is often covered by insurance.

Speak to your parents so they can check into their policy and find out what the coverage is for you to see a therapist.
It is very difficult to speak with parents about something like this. That is why I am seaking counseling/therapy. I want to speak with someone uninvolved, and get new opinions and suggestions regarding what I should do.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM

132 posts, read 188,419 times
Are you religious perhaps seeking out someone if the church as that would be free.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
Are you religious perhaps seeking out someone if the church as that would be free.
That's a good idea. However, I happen to know the person who does the counseling at my church. As I stated earlier, I would like this to be someone I do not know personally since this is quite difficult to discuss in person.

Thank you for your input.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM

132 posts, read 188,419 times
Any other churches that you could stop by besides the one you go to.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
If you are a teenager and you don't want your parents involved, then that probably limits which professionals you could see due to lack of insurance or you paying for it. Your parents may have health insurance which would cover going to any mental health professional. But they would need to know about it.

Anyway many county health departments offer free or low cost counseling. Might try there in the phone directory under government listings - county. Or search google.com for the name of your county along with the state you live in, find the county web site, then look under "Departments" for Health, then call and ask for mental health.

Also you can look in the phone directory under counseling or mental health. Those people are all quite good at referring people to someone else who can help them if they can't. So for example if you called a psychologist, he/she charged $200 an hour, and you could not afford that, then ask if they know of low cost or free counseling. I'm sure they would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Some cities might have additional low cost or free counseling. Maybe some group or organization. Different cities/states have more or less money for these things. So services differ by area.

Also tell them you are a teenager. Perhaps there are programs specifically for that? Never hurts to ask!

So far as not telling your parents, I can understand that. But in general it is more "mentally healthy" to share problems with other people (if possible). It does not have to be your parents, but it is good to discuss these things with other people - get their feedback and advice. You can of course choose not to follow their advice. Or if a lot of people are saying the same things, then that might be good advice to follow. But still your choice. (Discussing things on the internet counts as discussing things with other people - good to do.)

The WORST thing to do is have a problem, hold it in / keep it secret, and not discuss it with anyone.

Take care!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
Any other churches that you could stop by besides the one you go to.
Not that offer counseling. Most do not, at least in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology