Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,025 times

Advertisements

I don't if this is the right place for this but this will help out me and everybody who wishes to use it in trying to make good constructive arguments and making valid and constructive criticism of others.

Quick description of a Logical Fallacy
A logical fallacy is, roughly speaking, an error of reasoning. When someone adopts a position, or tries to persuade someone else to adopt a position, based on a bad piece of reasoning, they commit a fallacy. I say “roughly speaking” because this definition has a few problems, the most important of which are outlined below. Some logical fallacies are more common than others, and so have been named and defined. When people speak of logical fallacies they often mean to refer to this collection of well-known errors of reasoning, rather than to fallacies in the broader, more technical sense given above.

And this fun poster should he some people out.

http://theholydark.files.wordpress.c...-fallacies.jpg

If anyone has any examples or ways to improve terminologies this would greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 AM

652 posts, read 874,362 times
It sounds like you are leading toward the fundamental attribution error.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
It sounds like you are leading toward the fundamental attribution error.

Touche my friend. Thanks for calling me out on that. I apologize I meant for this thread not to berate people but had the best intentions in mind.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Read about "propaganda" and "psychological warfare"...

Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Read about "propaganda" and "psychological warfare"...
Psychology\Sociology Comprehensive Major right here that stuff is just preaching to the choir.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
The only time I've really seen "logical fallacies" being discussed in forums is when people think someone not agreeing with them is a logical fallacy.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The only time I've really seen "logical fallacies" being discussed in forums is when people think someone not agreeing with them is a logical fallacy.
the is called Fallacy Fallacy.

Logical Fallacy: Fallacy Fallacy

Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
IT'S BECAUSE OF LOGICAL FALLACIES ALMOST 100% OF THE TIME BEING ARGUED THAT I CAN'T STAND POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS.

I have sat and listened for an hour to a group of idiots on the TV discussing something that is based on a given statement of "FACT" that starts the discussion off. The problem is that the opening statement is false. A good example of this kind of reasoning is the "Trickle down economics" that is debated ad nauseum. Almost all discussions on the topic are based on the idea that this economic theory works. That fact is based on nothing at all but fancy and in fact countless studies have shown it does not work. Your average unimformed person could listen to the quite intellegent discussion on the matter and conclude they would support this policy.

It seems that almost all political debates are based on the "Logical fallacy" type of thinking. It drives me nuts. It's misrepresentation of the highest order and those who use it are aware of what they are doing unless they are nothing but parrots and there are quite a few of those also. Gradually these logical fallacies enter the mainstream as givens as unchangable as a constant in science and all the time it's nothing but a load of BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology