Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I'm truly been enraged before, well not to point of actually wanting to kill someone, but funnily enough it would usually be when my football team were losing or something like that. I have admit I have wished harm on others, like two people I felt were bullies in school, though.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Hrmm...

Good question.

I have been upset enough to want to punch a wall, but never did. I used to have temper tantrums as a kid and used to get very upset at video games and wanting to break the controller. (Talk about 1st world problems, eh?)

I don't road rage that often because I'm too busy staying alert, and I don't get into conflicts too often at work or home, because, well, I'm currently happy where I am in both places.

I do still get upset at the Lakers, and my cat. Luckily for the cat my wife still loves her and we'll never give her up, although we should have a long time ago (the cat was returned to the shelter we got her from twice before by other people, and was going to be put down if we didn't adopt her...that was 5 years ago). Needless to say the cat has issues and frankly I just don't have the patience for her anymore. I would never hurt the cat, but I have been very upset at situations she gets herself into.

As far as blind rage, I don't think so. Or at least not to the point of hurting anyone because of it.

Though under certain medications my mood is dramatically affected and I'm more susceptible to "flying off the handle."

Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm truly been enraged before, well not to point of actually wanting to kill someone, but funnily enough it would usually be when my football team were losing or something like that. I have admit I have wished harm on others, like two people I felt were bullies in school, though.

What about you?
I have never understood the concept of becoming enraged when a sports team loses. I can understand if you are one of the players in the game or the coaches, but as a spectator why? Of coarse if you have not bet on a team and lost. It all seems silly and pointless. I watched the superbowl this last month and a family relative started violently shouting and pacing back and forth in the room. I thought it all seemed very neanderthal and animal like. Did he not understand that his emotions do not matter at all to the sports teams owner and players? He was like a little minnow in a sea of humpback wales! pointless.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I have never understood the concept of becoming enraged when a sports team loses. I can understand if you are one of the players in the game or the coaches, but as a spectator why? Of coarse if you have not bet on a team and lost. It all seems silly and pointless. I watched the superbowl this last month and a family relative started violently shouting and pacing back and forth in the room. I thought it all seemed very neanderthal and animal like. Did he not understand that his emotions do not matter at all to the sports teams owner and players? He was like a little minnow in a sea of humpback wales! pointless.
For me, I wouldn't consider myself a typical fan of anything really, but I really like the Lakers. It's part nostalgia, part glamour and part excitement. Plus Basketball is a pretty fast paced game.

Also the social part (the part I didn't really "get" until recently) is huge. Especially when you go to a game you can feel the excitement or (in the Lakers's case despair) even more. Talking with friends about the game is fun.

My wife works late so I've watched pretty much every game so far...so I've become "invested" into the team. I have fooled myself, in a small part, into thinking that I am a part of the team, although I don't go as far as some fans that say "we" lost last night.

So after watching the pregame and postgame interviews, and replays and highlights you get in a certain way...obsessed. And that can play on your emotions.

Also, as a former athlete, who still works out but doesn't play anymore, I think there's a bit of vicariousness at play there. (Although I would have certainly never been able to become a basketball player).

Again I don't go as far as hating the other team or thinking I actually am apart of the team, but I do get upset when they lose and am pretty happy when they win. I like that I'm able to let out some emotion while being entertained, as long as it's not interfering with my life, or go nuts like some fans do, I think it's quite alright.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
For me it's not really every time they lose, but specific situations where they're playing poorly, say if they have a hefty lead they give away, or against certain teams. I've been known to shout, throw things and punch the sofa . Not so much anymore though. But yeah it's pretty out of character for me haha.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
I have never understood the concept of becoming enraged when a sports team loses. I can understand if you are one of the players in the game or the coaches, but as a spectator why?
I was on the basketball team in middle school, and even then I couldn't understand why my teammates would get so angry when we lost! And I also didn't feel any real joy when we won. Needless to say, I soon realized that I simply could never be passionate about sports.

As far as blind rage goes, no, I've never felt anything even close to that. I get angry from time to time, but overall I'm a pretty patient and calm person. It doesn't take much to irritate me, but it takes a LOT to make me truly angry.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
I have to admit a lot of my anger comes out when Im driving. Some things people do and how they drive really ticks me off.

Someone cruising in the left lane.
Someone on their cell phone and obviously cant do two things at once, No i dont use my phone...
People passing on the right. when Im in the middle lane.

Nothing gets me angrier than a person in the left lane not passing, just cruising along locking the lane. That makes my blood boil because I dont like passing on the right.

I dont let it compromise my driving though... At a certain point it just becomes my only true anger release... then its almost like meditation.

I took some anger management classes when I was younger and it helped me a bunch, i learned how to channel some of my anger. I know it doesnt sound like it from my post but yea.

-then when I am playing Xbox360 i play that stupid call of duty game sometimes and when i get teamed with players that dont follow objectives or cant put up a fight. Im on a team with 5 other people and I have to carry the whole team so that creates frustration.

The other thing is when I see a woman being openly disrespected in public, I dont know why maybe its just instinct, but this is the only thing that will make me hit someone, well that and when it comes to my family. Luckily I have avoided that but let me see someone put their hands on a woman or one of my female friends and im going nuts.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Sure have. A friend was murdered, shot in the back. The killer laughed about it. I have never been so mad in my life and went off, had to be held back, which took about 5 guys. They pretty much sat on me until I calmed down hours later. After that which was years and years ago, nothing makes me very mad anymore.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Sure have. A friend was murdered, shot in the back. The killer laughed about it. I have never been so mad in my life and went off, had to be held back, which took about 5 guys. They pretty much sat on me until I calmed down hours later. After that which was years and years ago, nothing makes me very mad anymore.
Wow, yeah after that nothing would really compare!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

What about you?
Why did a football game trigger that? Nothing you went through personally ever got you even madder than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology