Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,305 times

Advertisements

While most of us would never dream of harming an animal or another person, I'm sure we all (men and women) have a breaking point even if we don't want to admit it. This means that basically we all have a level of animalistic instinct, even if the level is minimum.

For instance while I would never think of hurting someone, if I caught some pervert molesting and/or raping my 11 year-old brother then I might get violent in that case.

Another example: news online or youtube about how someone hurt a child, set someone on fire or done other horrible stuff gets a lot of violent comments such as ''I hope they find the scumbag and do the same thing''.

Or the case of an Hispanic mother who got revenge against her 13 year-old daughter's rapist. She poured gasoline on him and set him on fire, killing him. This was your average working mother that never got in trouble with the law and I'm sure she definitely wouldn't have thought about killing someone on a normal basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,305 times
Similarly, if some dog attacked and disfigured one of my loved ones, the first thing that would come in mind would be to shot it immediately.

This is the article regarding the Spanish mother who set the rapist on fire:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/267981

Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times
I don't like causing harm to anyone or anything, yet....there are exceptions which crop up on occasion:

There are ants in my apartment, so I destroy them because I cannot bear them in my home, crawling towards my food & being underfoot.
So, we all have our provocations that push us to violating our principles (which apply in everyday life, most of the time, under "typical" conditions).
I take no joy in squashing the ants-but the alternative is to surrender my personal private space to insects, and I'm not standing for that.

I don't put any behavior past anybody, given extreme enough conditions/circumstances-
we all have our breaking points, IMHO.
I do think of humans as being animals (in both positive & negative ways)-
while we're not "just" animals, we all have some animalistic components to our respective personalities/repertoires.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM

793 posts, read 275,922 times
I can only speak for myself but I would hope that we all have a streak of violence in us when it comes to defending our self or our loved ones.Depending on the degree of violence would more than likely depend on the situation at hand. I would go to any means to protect myself if it came to an intruder etc. in my home,the same as I would if a sex offender,etc.violated any of my daughters or grandchildren. I'm like a mother hen and a firm believer in..."you mess with my family,you mess with me!" Just my personal thoughts on this subject and curious to read how others reply to this thread.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 PM

22 posts, read 27,060 times
meh, harm is immaterial.

People cause harm to others all the time lol.. such is life.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM

588 posts, read 957,687 times
While I've never been a violent person, sure, I think of self-defense as a reason to become violent. More than that, if someone was hurting a child/handicapped/defenseless person, and it was in my power to help him or her, I would. Even if that meant being violent to save the other person from violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology