Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I had to use the restroom at PetSmart because I was stuck in town for 5 hours wasting time with my dog while waiting on someone.

I took him in the stall with me and balanced his plastic Flexi leash handle on the door. As soon as I flushed, he knocked the leash handle onto the floor directly under the front of the toilet seat, and drug it across the nasty wet tile.

I almost died. /puke
That would have sucked. Those leashes are expensive. I would have held it with paper towels until I got home. Then once home, I would have soaked it in something to sterilize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Has anyone ever gotten a bacterial illness from sitting on a public toilet seat? Is there published medical documentation of this frightening risk?

Here's Cecil's take though

The Straight Dope: What diseases can you catch from toilet seats?
My goodness a note of sanity!!

Why not carry a pack of of hygienic wipes for the toilet seat in case you do need to go to the toilet while out? It would seem like a logical move, and more reasonable that than the gymnastic maneuvers or driving all the way home again.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I prefer to go at home (who doesn't?), but I'll go wherever I happen to be when I have to go. It's not good for you to hold it.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I avoid sitting on the seat and, frankly, it you ever saw one of those germ shows where they go around swabbing everything to check for bacteria, all those toilet germs are everywhere anyway. Yuck! Life is too short to have to run home to use the potty every time you have to go. I am a "control" person so obsessions are just not going to ever be my thing, thankfully!
I did that in college for microbiology. There were more "toilet germs" on door handles and drinking fountains than on either toilet seats or the inside of urinals.

You should have seen the petri dishes from the classroom door handle - YUCK!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I hover if I have to drop a poop. It's good for the knees

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Not all the objections/reluctance to using public (or not-your-own) toilets are due to germ fears.

There's the "bashful bladder" phenom. & whatever one would call it when you don't wish to share your digestive business
(the sounds, the smells, etc.) with strangers-and therefore use your own private/home bathroom (whenever you can).

There are folks who have very strong feelings about this, others are more blase about it-
having embarrassment or a phobia about such an issue is not a choice,
some people are vulnerable to preoccupation with these concerns.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 PM

252 posts, read 264,158 times
I had something of this issue, but, well the Army...and Ranger School changes a man.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I tried hover pooing at a ski slope once (no choice, really had to go) and pooped on my ski boot.

Never again.
ROTFLOL!!!! Perhaps more quad work is in order.

I've never missed with the hover.

BTW, I don't have the syndrome being discussed.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I can go anyplace, but I have a friend who admitted this problem to me. Makes it real hard to go very far in the car.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I could see how this could really have a dire effect on one's existence. I guess Disney World would be out of the question. So many limitations. If I had this, I would surely try to get help in overcoming it. I could not live that way. And, one of the things I remembered is never wear shorts and sit in public seating since they found a lot of poo on the seats among other things which they found at the theater, you know in the dark the kind of stuff people might do. Yuck! It really appears to be a serious matter.

We have a van and have had it for years. We have a porti-potti that we carry because we have a son with DS who is now an adult which has improved the situation but when he was younger and had to use the bathroom, he didn't let you know until the minute he needed to go so the porti-potti in the van was perfect, most of the time. Boy, I'm glad he is older now! So, having a van with a porti-potti could really improve one's situation with the toileting issue. I'm sure someone is going to find that idea offensive but it really improved the quality of our lives which really, really needed improvement at the time.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 06-06-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology