Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

What do you want to do? Form some kind of movement to protest extraversion?

Extraverts are the norm in the U.S. You can look up the estimated percentages on the web - the majority of people are extraverts and it is reflected in the culture - in the action movies, the music - T.V., etc.

Who cares what anyone else thinks about your introversion or introversion, in general? So what if there is a "bias?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I got this unsigned rep from a poster for a comment I made in another thread.

Not only is this so wrong on so many levels it shows the bias that many introverts deal with and voices the lingering societal sentiment that they can sometimes feel.

There is a lot of negativity associated with introverts and many times introverts need to be assisted or helped and extroverts rarely have to deal with this. I mean how many threads are there of people having problems due to their extroversion? Its the attitude that introverts need to be fixed and people misconstruing the definition of the word. I think the need to help the "less sociable" has mutated to something that does nothing but ridicule and micro analyzing traits and turning them into crippling mental disorders. I feel there are many social expectations and stigma's that make introverts feel "less" and they are put in boxes with those who do suffer from serious mental disorders.

I have said my piece but I open the door to discussion because I feel many times this topic only scratches the surface and don't get deep enough.

I open the door to discussion and debate within the spirit of the forum.
Yes, every time an individual receives a negative label and it's associated with even more negative labels it's hurtful. We live in a very judgmental society because that's the way we were programmed to behave. We box people with labels to determine future behavior. Being able to predict the future makes us feel in control and eases our fear of this uncertain universe. The problem is that it is very irrational, no one can predict anything.

This particular label I find quite interesting. I think many people may prefer to be around extroverts and while they might think introverts should change for their own benefit(because most people like to be in social settings and we associate other people's needs with our own needs), I think many people don't really think introverts are dysfuctional or future serial killers. They feel empathy and think some people are naturally that way.

I think it's a minority of individuals who feel very strongly about introversion and take every opportunity to judge them and even assign other labels to those people. I am not sure what drives them to behave that way. Maybe an introvert really hurt their feelings in the past or took them by surprise. I am not sure but I feel suspicious when people feel very strongly against other people, they usually have unresolved issues with those they judge the most.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 07-21-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I got this unsigned rep from a poster for a comment I made in another thread.

Not only is this so wrong on so many levels it shows the bias that many introverts deal with and voices the lingering societal sentiment that they can sometimes feel.

There is a lot of negativity associated with introverts and many times introverts need to be assisted or helped and extroverts rarely have to deal with this. I mean how many threads are there of people having problems due to their extroversion? Its the attitude that introverts need to be fixed and people misconstruing the definition of the word. I think the need to help the "less sociable" has mutated to something that does nothing but ridicule and micro analyzing traits and turning them into crippling mental disorders. I feel there are many social expectations and stigma's that make introverts feel "less" and they are put in boxes with those who do suffer from serious mental disorders.

I have said my piece but I open the door to discussion because I feel many times this topic only scratches the surface and don't get deep enough.

I open the door to discussion and debate within the spirit of the forum.
Did the person who gave you that rep sign their name? If not then I wouldn't worry about it because they're either trolling or just cowards or most likely both.

In my experiences, most extroverts seem to be respectful towards me being an introvert. The ones that don't I make it clear that I will have little to nothing to do with them. Since becoming an adult, I've made it a point not to associate with pushy people who like to forcefully project their beliefs on me with disrespect to my own.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I am an introvert, yet I do want (and admit as much) a bit of attention (interaction/human relationships).
However, I dislike "people" generally (when in groups/crowds)-
yet I do like "one person at a time", because that's a level at which I can function/focus.
"People" (plural) overload me & cause shutdown, but "persons"
(one individual in any given moment/location, with low rate of turnover) are at a scale I can handle & even enjoy.

Agree, our brains are wired differently, and such anatomical diversity shouldn't be stigmatized/scapegoated.
Exactly. Well said.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM

69 posts, read 65,401 times
As an old saying goes, "if this be treason, I intend to make the most of it." Or in simpler terms: if introversion is wrong then I don't wanna be right....

Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatthernsInTheIvy View Post
As an old saying goes, "if this be treason, I intend to make the most of it." Or in simpler terms: if introversion is wrong then I don't wanna be right....
I don't know. As much as I hate the fact that extroverts seem to be more well liked in the U.S., life would be so much easier for me if I was an extrovert. I'd probably make more money, have more success with women, more friends, etc. A great book for introverts which I loved is "Quiet, The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking". I bought it based on the title alone. Love that book. But it doesn't change the fact that being an introvert makes me feel like I'm not good enough to have the things out of life I want.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't know. As much as I hate the fact that extroverts seem to be more well liked in the U.S., life would be so much easier for me if I was an extrovert. I'd probably make more money, have more success with women, more friends, etc. A great book for introverts which I loved is "Quiet, The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking". I bought it based on the title alone. Love that book. But it doesn't change the fact that being an introvert makes me feel like I'm not good enough to have the things out of life I want.
You are not an introvert. You are a person who has had introvert behaviors in the past. No one has written the future yet. You are not condenmed to behave in a certain way in the future. Besides no one possesses the right to dictate what is the "right" or "wrong" behavior. There is behavior that yields to unpleasant results, results that don't fill our needs

Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You are not an introvert. You are a person who has had introvert behaviors in the past. No one has written the future yet. You are not condenmed to behave in a certain way in the future. Besides no one possesses the right to dictate what is the "right" or "wrong" behavior. There is behavior that yields to unpleasant results, results that don't fill our needs
Is this your belief? Did you read this somewhere? Did a psychologist tell you this? You're misinformed. We are born with certain personality traits that cannot be changed. Sure we can fake it. I can go to a party and pretend to be an extrovert and try to work a room. Even if I don't fall flat on my face, I'll come home exhausted because its not me. I can't just say "ok, I'm an extrovert now" and behave like an extrovert (without faking it) and it be true. Its doesn't work that way.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Sounds like a lot of over thought nonsense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology