Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 PM

25 posts, read 160,435 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I moved across the country to a much more expensive region so he could pursue a great career opportunity and I could be closer to my family. We knew that this would be a challenging transition, but we had no idea what we had in store. Basically, a lot of ridiculous things have gone wrong all at once. Since we packed up all our things earlier this summer...

1) The house we moved into...
  • was incredibly dirty when we arrived (mouse droppings everywhere, dirt, etc.) because the cleaning person. my landlord hired was not doing her job over the past year.
  • has been having major plumbing issues since day one (brown water, no water pressure at times, etc. etc.)
  • currently has a major carpenter ant infestation because, again, my landlord did not take care of this place the way she said she did.
2) We bought a new (used) car when we got here that, so far...
  • is apparently a lemon (despite my boyfriend checking it out thoroughly and it passing state inspection).
  • has cost us thousands of extra dollars to replace parts that died two weeks after the purchase.
  • has died in the middle of traffic twice so now we are afraid to even use it.
3) We learned that government furloughs could continue past September, which was originally not the "deal". This is directly affecting our finances and is so incredibly unnecessary and frustrating (I will save my government rant for another time).

I know we have certain rights as tenants and car buyers, and we are pursuing these avenues. But, basically, I feel exhausted and disheartened dealing with these issues and trying to jump through hoops just to get five minutes of peace. We cannot afford to move (yet) since I am still job hunting and the cost of living here is so high that just moving into a new place can break your bank.

Also, I know it might sound like I am whining, and I apologize. I know that things could always be worse, and I should be thankful for what I have and the fact that these are (for the most part) external issues. It is just hard to keep it all in perspective when these things are a major drain on money and mental/emotional resources. And, really, it just feels bad to get screwed over by people.

Has anyone else been through a series of events like this, or a string of bad luck? How did you deal with it until things improved? Any other advice, or words of wisdom?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
You muddle through as best you can.

The house- keep after your landlord about the plumbing. If she won't fix things, ask if you can and deduct it from the rent. Just keep reminding her that she has to keep the plumbing in good working order one way or the other. Any agreements you have about it, make sure to get in writing and signed by all. Keep good records.

Try to get her to pay for insect pest treatment. If she won't, fix it as best you can yourself. Put out ant traps, spray, if you don't have pets or small children, sprinkle Borax powder under sinks, around window sills, baseboards, around the edges of the cellar, etc. You can go after her in court I suppose, but in the meantime, help yourselves.

Your car may have a loose ground wire. That's often what is wrong when it stops dead for no apparent reason. Then often will start up again just fine. Get it to a good shop and mention this to them, it's not an expensive fix.

Sometimes, life just hands us terrible stuff all at once. Deal with it one thing at a time.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 AM

25 posts, read 160,435 times
Thank you.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:52 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,211 times
Photograph/record everything (re: your home). If worst should come to worst, such records are very useful in court.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
If you have a lot of family near you, have a cleaning party. You buy some buckets of KFC or some pizzas and beers and everyone comes over and helps clean the place from top to bottom. Or you demand that the landlady pay to hire a professional cleaner. There's no excuse for that.

As for the other stuff, well, you learn to laugh about it and experiment with recipes involving lots of beans and rice until you're out of the financial hole.

I'm sorry things have taken this kind of turn, but we've all been there in some sense or another. Let me assure you, when no one's dying or seriously ill or literally facing bankruptcy, the best approach is to learn to laugh it off and keep going. Otherwise you get bogged down and it's hard to get back up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology