Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM

166 posts, read 300,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankhharu View Post
i know of a few people over 60 that have them and do not regret them.

Most of the large corporations and fortune 500 companies i work for have executives and managers with visible tattoos. It's definitely changing.

But i think people are still clinging to old stereotypes where only certain types of people got them. As far as the psychology behind it. Hard to say. I think people have this natural inclination to try and tell other's how to live their lives. This goes way beyond tattoos but i believe it falls in to the same area. I can't relate, because i'm not wired that way, but people waste so much energy trying to convince others to like what they like and live like they live. It's like the gay marriage thing. There is no logical reason for we hetero's to be against it. It has zero effect on us. Yet so many hetero's are fighting fiercely to keep gays from getting married. Why? Just because you don't agree with it or like it? Religion, alcohol, marijuana, you name it. Conservatives used to get violent with hippies in the 60's just because they didn't agree with their lifestyle or philosphy. Anti-aboritionist blowing up clinics and trying to kill the doctors. It's hypocritical and yet they can't see it. People just can't accept the fact that just because they don't like something, that doesn't make it wrong, that doesn't mean it should be illegal, that doesn't make it immoral.
like tattoos are.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:31 PM

166 posts, read 300,259 times
Default myself, a college graduate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I find it interesting that a lot of the pushback about tattoos isn't from older people. For people like my parents, tattoos were for soldiers, sailors, bikers, and ex-cons almost exclusively, so I kind of understand the unsavory or macho reputation. I know plenty of people with tattoos who are smart, professional, educated, all that jazz, so for me it's merely a matter of personal preference.
have never seen anyone with a tattoo that I would consider smart professional or educated,with the slight exception of one woman who had a( ugly of course) tattoo of a bible verse on her ankle--she was only a tiny bit smart

Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
People don't hate tattoos, just like people don't hate people who ignite their dollar bills on fire, accelerate to red lights, or go to job interviews dressed in a tank top and flip flops.
This.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
To me, tattoos are just a way to permanately establish oneself with the lower class. I will never get one.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Tattoos were cool when you got the marine corps anchor on your forearm in Manila Bay during the Spanish American War and came home with syphilis and a reputation as the black sheep of the family. Now they're generic. The idea of someone walking around thinking "the Maa-aa-a-an hates my tattoos!" is risible. Nobody cares about your tattoos, they're about as radical as warm milk.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I don't hate tattoos. I used to feel they were trashy, but now that so many people have jumped on the bandwagon, it's become mainstream and common. I do like "radical as warm milk", as the poster above me put it.

But it's weird when you try to look closely at what the tattoo is and you find the tattoo owner looking back at you appearing insulted that you're staring. You didn't get that thing covering your entire arm to NOT be looked at, now did you?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I mean, they don't AFFECT anyone else but the person who has the tattoo. Why do people feel compelled to judge other people on such an arbitrary thing? Is it just garden-variety control-freakery? A desperate need to find a reason to judge someone? Dissatisfaction with their own life? Secret jealousy? Peer pressure?

Yep, that's my Thursday morning molotov cocktail. Enjoy!
You'll see a lot of the same pearl-clutchers over in Relationships, complaining about their boring or nonexistent sex lives.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I just read that 40% of American adults aged 25 to 40 have at least one tattoo. That's a lot of people with tattoos who have sub-par IQs, no jobs, and gang affiliations!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I mean, they don't AFFECT anyone else but the person who has the tattoo. Why do people feel compelled to judge other people on such an arbitrary thing? Is it just garden-variety control-freakery? A desperate need to find a reason to judge someone? Dissatisfaction with their own life? Secret jealousy? Peer pressure?

Yep, that's my Thursday morning molotov cocktail. Enjoy!
I have yet to meet someone who actually "hates" them. I may know quite a few people who don't want them. I may even know quite a few people who don't understand why others spend so much money on them, but I don't know anyone who just "hates" them.

The biggest complaint that I hear...and share, are about the people who whine and complain because they can't pay their bills....or the people who are on welfare, who SOMEhow manage to get tats, mani/pedis, expensive haircuts/dye jobs, etc. I also, like many others, have a lack of patience for those who run out and get visible neck/facial tatooes, then bi**h about not being able to get a job, because of those tats that they're so proud of. That doesn't mean that I HATE tatooes!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I just read that 40% of American adults aged 25 to 40 have at least one tattoo. That's a lot of people with tattoos who have sub-par IQs, no jobs, and gang affiliations!
50% of people have IQs below the median, by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology