Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 PM

457 posts, read 693,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitaro2187 View Post
Naw as a young black man I'm not, I just don't care to be around of white men. White women are much easier to be around the older the better your just another guy to them to white dudes your a n*gger point blank period no matter what they say.
Probably one of the most ignorant and racist things I've ever read. You, sir, are a close minded idiot.

My girlfriend is Cambodian, and family gatherings at first were uncomfortable for me. I've always hung out with european americans so it was quite a change. After a few gatherings and party I feel much more comfortable around them.

I think the uncomfortableness many people feel is normal, but sometimes people need to get out of their comfort zones. I have many friends from many diverse backgrounds, and I wouldn't change it for anything else. Experiencing their culture, and hearing of their past experiences are, I find, extremely interesting. My girlfriends mom told me the story of her escape from the Khmer Rouge, and seriously... you could make a movie or write a book about it. It's probably the only story anyone has ever told me that made me tear up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I'm Australian but I was born in Singapore, came here as a baby. I've lived in various places with different socio-economic profiles, but predominantly in a suburb that had quite a few Asians (probably about 40%). But of course, the city I grew up in had and has suburbs that are overwhelmingly white. I guess it depends on how people treat you, how comfortable you are. I did get racist name-calling and all that, and when that happens you feel you stick out more...I suppose being shy and having low self-esteem also makes me feel uncomfortable, so I think my ethnicity was sometimes just another thing that made me feel I was different. People rarely treated me differently or poorly, so part of it was internal. Of course much of the time that wasn't an issue and I never thought of it, just thought of myself like everyone else. I do admit that sometimes I used to wish I wasn't Asian.

For awhile I went to a school where I was the only Asian person in my grade, but they were mostly cool, although one got the usual ribbing. Then I went to live and work in a country town which was similar...there are still a few people there who ask silly questions but I don't get offended or anything, they simply don't know a lot of Australians of Asian descent. Now the situation is completely different. I moved to a different city, to a neighbourhood which is VERY ethnic. I didn't move here for that reason but because it was affordable. In fact only 41% of people here were even born in Australia. It seems majority Asian, especially Vietnamese, and now African. White Australians seem the minority and one hears other languages as much as English.

The thing about visiting Asian countries: on one hand I didn't have to worry about people noticing my ethnicity, and I could be just another person to them, but the differences were more cultural. Actually, they still noticed me, with my camera around my neck and map in hand, so I was still a target (read walking piggy bank) just like any Euro looking tourist. This was less so in Singapore or Malaysia, where people speak English, but in places like China I felt just as uncomfortable because I couldn't speak the language and I was not culturally Chinese...well maybe uncomfortable isn't the best word, but I felt a bit different. I've visited Sri Lanka, where i stand out clearly and thus feel different, but people were never rude or racist or mean to me.

When I visited the US I didn't experience any racism, and felt people were more race-blind than here. Of course I'm used to being in a white-majority country, but it was interesting to go to the Hispanic and Black areas. I went to Harlem and was one of the few non-blacks there. Some black people can be intimidating, but it's just their way, they're more extroverted to strangers than here. Met many really cool ones.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
No. I don't feel at all uncomfortable. Do the people you mentioned look uncomfortable? Do they look like they were dragged their by main force and can't wait to leave?

If the people I'm around are happy, well-mannered and have good senses of humor, than I'm comfortable no matter what the color or ethnic background. If they are not, then I'm not comfortable, no matter the color or ethnic background.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I wonder who feels more uncomfortable, a white guy in an all black neighborhood, or a black guy in an all white neighborhood.
I don't think either would feel more uncomfortable and if they had lived there awhile, they would or should be comfortable. I grew up in a town that was 1/3 black. This was in MI. I spent some time in the military and married someone from KS. We came to KS. Rarely did I see a black person. It was very strange and years and years later still seems that way. We recently heard they were having a celebration in the park a couple of blocks from our house and we noticed almost no cars had shown up so we decided to walk up. Well, there were probably 100 people there and 5 were white while the others were black. Everyone was friendly and they had free food and music. I told my husband, "If it were the other way around, 100 people with only 5 black, the whole thing would have been much different. This is the way it is in KS. I do not care for the ignorance that is associated with prejudice. I spent some time active duty military and working on a military post in KS and it was enlightening. All depends on what your experiences in the past have been and how closed minded one is.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
I'm black and I don't mind living in a homogenous setting if I am welcomed or at least not bothered by people. It's something I got use to growing up in a mostly white and then Latino area. I've even been in mostly black areas and enjoyed me self as well.

I do, however, feel much more comfortable in a diverse setting.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Even more uncomfortable was the time somebody asked me if that rumor about black men is true...awkward!!
What?? You didn't give a big thumbs up and say "It's twue, it's twue!!"???

Shades of Blazing Saddles, I know but still funny. Bet that would've made it "awkward" for them! LOL

Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 PM

186 posts, read 362,435 times
I used to go up into CArson/Watts and i'd be the only white face visible for miles. Same thing in Pretoria. Didn't bother me any, cause I had a lw Commander .45 and a spare mag. In the 7 seconds or so required for you to hit 15 of the type that would gang up on you, 100 more will be running from you, as fast and far as they can.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Growing up white, most people around me weren't what I'd call racist, but you still hear plenty of bad things about black people through the grapevine. I might have been slightly uncomfortable around black people for a while, especially being a shy/awkward dude to begin with, but living around them in Chicago for a long time I don't even think about it anymore. Nobody wants to be racist, so really a lot of bad/weird feelings are just because people don't know any better.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Depending on the circumstances and locations.
1. I would feel extremely uncomfortable if you put me in a white community in Kentucky or Ohio for example.
2. I would feel uncomfortable if you put me in some ghetto parts of North Philly where the population is predominantly African american.
3. I grew up in Miami among Hispanics (white and dark Hispanics). I was comfortable.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
No, I grew up in a 90+% white area, and have only lived in majority white cities since then (Seattle and Denver).

I should add that asiandudeyo made a great point in that it does matter what kind of area we're talking about. I'd feel uncomfortable in an all-white area where the Confederate flag is a popular decoration, but I also feel uncomfortable in areas where there are minorities who aren't speaking English or are living in inner-city conditions. It's all about being able to relate to who's around you, and that's very dependent on the environment in which you were raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology