Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,254 times

Advertisements

Marriage is not license to use someone. Stand by your boundaries.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Yes, because it is perfectly legal.

Ethics and morals are relative. Anybody can say anything is unethical.

The examples I used above (managers, professors) is perfectly acceptable and few people consider it unethical.
Using your "logic," the determination that ethics and morals are relative is relative! So I guess I'm just as "right" about this as you are. Because apparently we can all be right if we decide we're right. Anything goes, I guess.

Speaking of morality, legal doesn't make something morally acceptable. Slavery and denying women the right to vote were legal once. It was legal in ancient Israel to stone teenagers who talked back to their parents.

I could go on, but anyway...

The OP is clearly asking if others think it's right or wrong for her to commit fraud by taking online classes in her husband's name. If you want to get hung up on whether or not that's legal, I am sure that somewhere in the fine print with that particular university, it's stated that this would be considered fraud.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I didn't read anything about taking tests for him.

These are online courses. How is the husband going to take a test on coursework that he hasn't studied, or read, or even looked at? (I'm assuming that he's not some sort of freak genius - he sure doesn't sound like one.)

Besides that, I wasn't talking about this particular husband when I made the statement about cheating vs helping - I was speaking in generalities. I thought that was obvious.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

These are online courses. How is the husband going to take a test on coursework that he hasn't studied, or read, or even looked at? (I'm assuming that he's not some sort of freak genius - he sure doesn't sound like one.)

Besides that, I wasn't talking about this particular husband when I made the statement about cheating vs helping - I was speaking in generalities. I thought that was obvious.

My position is it is OK for her to help him with his work to the extent that it saves him time while he provides direction and guidance. If it would help the family unit, I would do it for my spouse.

If other posters disagree with this, then they disagree with this.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
I wouldn't get too hung up on the perceived ethical or moral aspects of it. College professors, industry leaders, program managers, and politicians do this all the time: their name is associated with an accomplishment the majority of effort of which is actually performed by someone else.

As long as your husband was directing your efforts and providing guidance, it's OK.

Now, that's the ethical aspect. What about the flat out hours and effort. Do you have the time? Are you doing this for free? What trade off are you making? Will this work affect your family? Could you be working and making decent money? On the flip side, will this work result in a big gain for your husband's career which in turn would result in a big benefit to you and your family. It might be a very good opportunity for you to help yourself and your family by helping him.

Are you kidding me?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,254 times
No one has a right to demand that someone else help them earn a living - regardless of family.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'd say you should be proactive and extract yourself from the marriage, and get your own degree. Contrary to what some on here are saying, this is not common practice - at least not among people who take themselves seriously as professionals. And if he can justify that to himself, he can easily justify other things - like cheating on you and hiding assets. The fact that he is FURIOUS that you won't do it for him indicates a lack of respect for you as a person and for standard boundaries.

Since you asked for opinions, mine is that you should either seek marriage counseling or begin the process of walking away from the marriage.

I'm curious if there have been other examples of behavior like this on his part, actually.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My position is it is OK for her to help him with his work to the extent that it saves him time while he provides direction and guidance. If it would help the family unit, I would do it for my spouse.

If other posters disagree with this, then they disagree with this.
Let's refresh our memories. The OP didn't say anything about him providing direction and guidance or even being involved in the online courses at all. She said:

Quote:
My husband wants to take a master's degree program online which is 4 classes. He wants me to do all the work and put his name on it.
Quote:
I already offered to proofread and edit his papers, help him with research, etc. No, he wants me to do all of it myself.
THAT is cheating and unethical in my opinion. She's taking the classes under his name and he will be earning the degree. Wait - that's not right - SHE will be EARNING the degree but he will be fraudulently claiming that HE earned it.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM

280 posts, read 422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'd say you should be proactive and extract yourself from the marriage, and get your own degree. Contrary to what some on here are saying, this is not common practice - at least not among people who take themselves seriously as professionals. And if he can justify that to himself, he can easily justify other things - like cheating on you and hiding assets. The fact that he is FURIOUS that you won't do it for him indicates a lack of respect for you as a person and for standard boundaries.

Since you asked for opinions, mine is that you should either seek marriage counseling or begin the process of walking away from the marriage.

I'm curious if there have been other examples of behavior like this on his part, actually.
Yes, there have been other incidents and I should have never married him. I have a special needs kid so I'm trying to make the best of it until she's a little older and more stable.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,996 times
Sorry, Tristan :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology