Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

This might sound ridiculous, but bear with me for a moment...

Male pattern baldness is caused at least partly by testosterone, and I've heard that men who 'suffer' from this have more testosterone or something. I'm not sure if that's true, however, perhaps baldness is a sign of 'hyper-maleness' as is say a beard...

Which got me thinking, is there actually something socially significant about the act of shaving one's hair off/shaving one's head?

I mean, OF COURSE, men do it for all kinds of reasons, but I wonder if some do it to somehow signify their maleness. Just as long hair is associated with femininity, a man who feels more 'macho' or masculine might shave to better fit his personality. In prison with buzz-cuts/crew-cuts or the military, there's also the association with baldness with masculinity and toughness.

Of course a lot of the tough action hero stereotypes, like Vin Diesel or Bruce Willis are bald or almost so...then again you have the likes of Michael Stipe to counteract them, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
No, they do it because then it looks like they did it on purpose, rather than admitting they have a bald top with a little hair around the edges. I would attribute it to insecurity and lack of self-esteem.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
No they just realize it's better than a horseshoe head.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Not every that loses their hair loses it evenly. I have seen people with the original hairline on one side of the front and 4 inches back on the other. There is only so much you can do with that.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
For quite a number of years now athletes have also been shaving their heads. This has added to the popularity of the style and now it is a pretty well accepted and fairly common thing. In the old days, if men felt uncomfortable because they were going bald, there weren't many options except to wear a wig to hide the fact if it bothered them enough.

Nowadays, they can shave their heads and not feel self-conscious and at the same time look stylish. I see a lot of men with the bald look at my gym.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Some men in the military or police work shave their head so someone they might physically fight with would not be able to grab their hair.

And outdoors, construction worker, and sports types shave their heads for "air conditioning" (cooler).

All of those would be more "macho".

Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
"Do men who shave their head tend to be more macho on average?"

A lot of them seem to think so.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I buzz my head because I'm too cheap to pay for a haircut every couple of months and I'm too lazy to brush it in the morning.

Usually I'll let it grow back for 4-6 months then buzz it again. Doe this mean I have a complex or something?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I buzz my head because I'm too cheap to pay for a haircut every couple of months and I'm too lazy to brush it in the morning.

Usually I'll let it grow back for 4-6 months then buzz it again. Doe this mean I have a complex or something?
No just a cheap skate sorry you asked. It's all good I am pretty cheap too.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Yeah - I'm with Chango. I buzz then shave my head about once every 2 or 3 months. Sometimes I keep it shaved for a year or two, sometimes I just let it grow back and repeat. For years, I kept my hair long but one hot day I'd had enough and took it all off. The freedom of never having to worry about how my hair looks or needing a hair cut is a beautiful thing.

I don't do it because I'm too cheap or to be more "macho", I don't have thinning hair either. I do it because it feels good and gives me one less thing to worry about.........of course as I've heard people say: "You've gotta have the head for it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology