Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Maybe they have a family member they look up to and he/she smokes...sometimes young people don't make the best choices in life, and smoking is veeeery addictive..there's side effects (to all kinds of things) that are ignored...eating unhealthy foods, drinking to excess, etc..sometimes a smoker will live longer than someone who doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
because we are going to die anyway?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, my question stems from this:

I'm a college student and we have designated smoking areas. I don't understand why people would start smoking knowing about all the side effects of smoking.

So, I guess I phrased my question incorrectly...
Why are you obsessed about finding out 'why'? Are you preparing a thesis on the subject? All of us do things that we shouldn't, for a myriad of reasons - if you're attempting to figure out mankind, good luck.

You phrased your question correctly; but obviously didn't like the replies.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Well, my question stems from this:

I'm a college student and we have designated smoking areas. I don't understand why people would start smoking knowing about all the side effects of smoking.

So, I guess I phrased my question incorrectly...
No, phrase it correctly, and some of us answered you. The reasons don't always have anything to do with the knowledge of the side effects/damage. That's the answer.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Why are you obsessed about finding out 'why'? Are you preparing a thesis on the subject? All of us do things that we shouldn't, for a myriad of reasons - if you're attempting to figure out mankind, good luck.

You phrased your question correctly; but obviously didn't like the replies.
No, I'm not preparing a thesis. I want to find out why because it doesn't make sense to me. I never said I don't like the answers; the majority of them were similar. I feel the same way about drinking. In my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros, so it doesn't make sense to drink.

There's no need to have an attitude. If you don't like the thread, just move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, phrase it correctly, and some of us answered you. The reasons don't always have anything to do with the knowledge of the side effects/damage. That's the answer.
You hit the nail on the head. That's what I was trying to figure out, but I couldn't put the words together.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
meant "you phrased it correctly". Don't know what happened to my English there. Apologies. Seems you figured out what I meant, anyway.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
meant "you phrased it correctly". Don't know what happened to my English there. Apologies. Seems you figured out what I meant, anyway.
People make mistakes. I don't point them out unless it's something out of context. It really isn't a big deal because I knew what you meant.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
I want to find out why because it doesn't make sense to me.

Why not just walk up to someone who is smoking and ask them. . . going directly to the source is the best path.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Why not just walk up to someone who is smoking and ask them. . . going directly to the source is the best path.
Because:
  • I don't like the smell
  • I don't want to inhale secondhand smoke
  • This person might get pissed off and attack me (People are crazy these days, if you haven't noticed)

Why don't you just drop it? It seems as if you like instigating things.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:42 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I smoke because I want to and I have always paid for my own cigarettes. It is the only vice I have left since I never had sex with random strangers, don't drink and don't gamble and got over my food addiction that caused my past morbid obesity (I've gotten that under control and have lost 500 pounds without surgery, pills or programs.)
Tobacco has been recognized, for centuries, as an appetite suppressant, and for its calming/tranquilizing effect. Tobacco hails from South America (Peru/Ecuador) and it spread northwards to North America where, eventually, there wasn't a North American Indian tribe that was not growing/using tobacco. And, as long as they had their tobacco, and their other crops failed, they would merely smoke their way to the next successful crop! Superstitiously, the Indians would also blow smoke on their crops, thinking the crops would be more successful, and they'd even blow smoke over their bed partners.

But smoking was healthier, back then, as they smoked from pipes, chewed it, snuffed it thru a tube like cocaine, or drank it like the South American Indians did. Dry the leaves, seep it in water, like tea, and down the hatch! Cigarettes really didn't make it into history until around 1850.

Healthwise, IMO, it's been going downhill, safety wise. We should have just stuck with pipe smoking or the other avenues of getting nicotine into your body, more safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology