Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

I don't see how.
Look at the relationship boards... so many people have trouble even talking (in person) to anyone.
Social skills and courtesies are going downhill.
Distractions abound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Is it something all humans need to have in large quantities? Or do some people need it a lot more than others? I ask because I live a very reclusive lifestyle. I can often go weeks without having a conversation that doesn't involve work or something necessary. As far as I can remember, I've always been this way. I've always found talking with others to be a burden and felt like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders once the conversation is over. I've also always had trouble connecting/relating with other people, which could possibly explain why I've never had a single person I could call a friend (lots of acquaintances, but no friends).

At this point of my life, I can at least say I'm content and happy for the most part. I have a great career, hobbies that I enjoy on my free time, and as far as I know I'm in great health and shape. Despite all of that, my extended family thinks it's all an outward act I'm putting on for people and behind closed doors they believe I'm depressed and suicidal. I had a discussion with my mother not too long ago about this, and her essentially suggesting I get help and that the life I'm living is completely unnatural, and that most men my age are already married and have children. She's already accepted I'm never getting married, but she still strongly disapproves of my life and tells me I should have at least 1-2 close friends. The last time I saw an expert was about 6 years ago, when I was 22 and arguably a lot more anxious and less content with my life and they came to the conclusion that I was mentally healthy and nothing was wrong with me.

Given all of that, do you think it's possible for some humans (not all or even most, of course) to be perfectly happy living their life with very little social interactions and getting it mostly from work? Perhaps this is just a defense mechanism to a world that has, for the most part, rejected and shunned me throughout my life? Maybe I'm deluding myself into thinking I'm truly happy and content?
I don't think anyone else has brought up this idea yet, but you might be a high functioning autistic or aspergers. Maybe not full blown, but somewhere on the spectrum. Lots of people are so it is not actually unusual, just American public is not as aware of it yet and will misunderstand those who are. People on the spectrum aren't able to socially connect with others somehow. They just don't have that thing in them that enables it. But they also tend to be extremely bright. Growing up, were you gifted in school? Are you the intellectual type who is into science, math, or geographical facts, etc.? Do you get really obsessed about your interests and study everything about it? If so, could be another sign you are on the spectrum.

There is no treatment for it and there doesn't need to be. You make your contributions to the world not by socializing but by using your mind.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
deleted... double to post above suddenly reappeared.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM

389 posts, read 692,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Is it something all humans need to have in large quantities? Or do some people need it a lot more than others? I ask because I live a very reclusive lifestyle. I can often go weeks without having a conversation that doesn't involve work or something necessary. As far as I can remember, I've always been this way. I've always found talking with others to be a burden and felt like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders once the conversation is over. I've also always had trouble connecting/relating with other people, which could possibly explain why I've never had a single person I could call a friend (lots of acquaintances, but no friends).

At this point of my life, I can at least say I'm content and happy for the most part. I have a great career, hobbies that I enjoy on my free time, and as far as I know I'm in great health and shape. Despite all of that, my extended family thinks it's all an outward act I'm putting on for people and behind closed doors they believe I'm depressed and suicidal. I had a discussion with my mother not too long ago about this, and her essentially suggesting I get help and that the life I'm living is completely unnatural, and that most men my age are already married and have children. She's already accepted I'm never getting married, but she still strongly disapproves of my life and tells me I should have at least 1-2 close friends. The last time I saw an expert was about 6 years ago, when I was 22 and arguably a lot more anxious and less content with my life and they came to the conclusion that I was mentally healthy and nothing was wrong with me.

Given all of that, do you think it's possible for some humans (not all or even most, of course) to be perfectly happy living their life with very little social interactions and getting it mostly from work? Perhaps this is just a defense mechanism to a world that has, for the most part, rejected and shunned me throughout my life? Maybe I'm deluding myself into thinking I'm truly happy and content?
You sound very introverted. I'm the same way. You don't need to change or seek help unless you want something different for yourself. If you're content, that's all that matters.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Just how important is social interaction to happiness and personal contentment ?"

Extremely important. I beieve that people in prison that are in solitary confinement go crazy due to lack of human interaction.
Well, there's a big difference between choosing a solitary lifestyle, and having it forced on 'ya!

That said, the degree of "introversion" or "social interaction" is probably much less important than how folks feel about it. If they're reasonably cool with it then fine, if not then maybe time to find some alternatives, even if it's stuff like doing volunteer work, taking a class, or just chatting online with like-minded folks.

And BTW, IMHO one of the particular 'issues' with a lot of us who tend to "live in our heads", is the need for also staying 'in touch' with our bodies, thru regular exercise, walks, whatever, which also helps to produce the hormones and neurotransmitters that control our moods in the first place!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, there's a big difference between choosing a solitary lifestyle, and having it forced on 'ya!

That said, the degree of "introversion" or "social interaction" is probably much less important than how folks feel about it. If they're reasonably cool with it then fine, if not then maybe time to find some alternatives, even if it's stuff like doing volunteer work, taking a class, or just chatting online with like-minded folks.

And BTW, IMHO one of the particular 'issues' with a lot of us who tend to "live in our heads", is the need for also staying 'in touch' with our bodies, thru regular exercise, walks, whatever, which also helps to produce the hormones and neurotransmitters that control our moods in the first place!
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology