Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM

331 posts, read 381,934 times

Advertisements

This very topic is explored in the article below:

Mind Your Health: Why are Certain People in Our Lives Dangerous to Our Well-being?

There's no question that a few people in my life bring my stress level up quite frequently, starting with my boss. I also don't get along well with my brother-in-law, who's to blame for a lot of friction in my relationship of late.

Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to cut these people loose.

Have you experienced this in your life? Was shutting them out of your life even an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
If you don't bring joy to my life 99% of the time, you are out of it.

Very simple. Who needs the drama?
Life is short. Love the people who are worth it.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I would love if I could see a certain someone only on holidays.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Well said, you are clear and have your priorities straight!
This, everyone, is a healthy person.

Yogananda said, Give love to those that love you.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 PM

389 posts, read 692,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
This very topic is explored in the article below:

Mind Your Health: Why are Certain People in Our Lives Dangerous to Our Well-being?

There's no question that a few people in my life bring my stress level up quite frequently, starting with my boss. I also don't get along well with my brother-in-law, who's to blame for a lot of friction in my relationship of late.

Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to cut these people loose.

Have you experienced this in your life? Was shutting them out of your life even an option?
There absolutely exist toxic people. It's especially hard when those toxic people are close family members, such as parents or siblings. It's easy to keep yourself trapped in a relationship with them because you remind yourself they *do* have good, sometimes even great, qualities. It's important to excise those people from your life, though, because life is too short.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
My Sons GF, she uses every little thing and set traps to destroy. She has went as far as to try to get in Bed with me. I kicked her out and told her I rather sleep with my Dog.

brushrunner

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
There are psychic vampires who are people that if you spend any amount of time with, will cause you to feel exhausted and depressed even though before talking to them you were feeling great. Instead of sucking up your blood, they suck up your life energy.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
There absolutely exist toxic people. It's especially hard when those toxic people are close family members, such as parents or siblings. It's easy to keep yourself trapped in a relationship with them because you remind yourself they *do* have good, sometimes even great, qualities. It's important to excise those people from your life, though, because life is too short.
Family members - in 1994 I finally had to cut off my mother and a sister. I tried for 15 years previous to that to work it out with them. Finally, in my 30s, I said enough is enough. I won't get into all the details but those two women also have other family members that don't/won't have them in their lives either. My mother and sister are truly toxic people. My life has been so much better without them in it!! Also, I have never felt guilty about this. I am in charge of my own life and who I let be a part of my life.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Absolutely!! Well put!!

Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM

23 posts, read 27,940 times
YES and letting go or seeing them less often is sometimes the ONLY option, unfortunately. If you have tried to talk to them about it, using "I " phrases as most communication experts suggest, and they show no attempt at changing their behavior towards you, its best to cut back or cut them out. Some people are truly toxic. I phrase example-
if you want to say "you always criticize me" , instead say "I feel judged when you say ________" "I hope we can find a new way of talking to eachother. I would like our relationship to be more harmonious, easier for us both"
Just an example. If they react w/hostility or indifference, then you know they either dont care how you feel and/or are too defensive/unable to look at themselves/unable or unwilling to change. Time to GO !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology