Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:38 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not caused by Vaccines...that has been debunked by multiple health agencies and independent studies. Autism is not an Illness , its a neurological disorder , and it is genetic. It occurs in 1 in 88 children and I have it....so of the responses in this thread are truly sad to read and speak to a larger ignorance of the general public.
Firstly, I edited what I originally said. It was a typo.

Oh, darling! It's as if you didn't read or comprehend what I said. Let me say it again: There are thousands of parents out there who will tell you that that after a vaccine (usually MMR), their child became sick within 24 hours, and then displayed signs of Autism. Go up to those parents and tell them that vaccines didn't cause their child's Autism, I guarantee you that one of them will slap you in the face. They have documentation (videotapes & photographs) that states otherwise.

Like I said before, these parents have seen with their naked eye something different from what the "multiple health agencies and independent studies". They don't believe those who say Autism cannot be vaccine-induced.

And lastly, I could go on and on about how despite whatever these "multiple health agencies and independent studies" have to say, you will never convince those parents into your way of thinking. Have you thought about the possibility that these are government-funded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
I know two people who were misdiagnosed with Asperger's (which is not in the DSM V, by the way, it is just part of the autism spectrum now). One turned out to have Schizoid Personality Disorder, the other Personality Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified, and OCD. Both have deficits in empathy and a disinterest in many kinds of social contact, and simply lack the circuitry to function socially as most people do. There is some symptomatic overlap with Asperger's. As more than one shrink has told me, people are complex and usually don't fit tidily into neat diagnostic categories. But Asperger's has become a bit of a catchall / throwaway diagnosis, particularly in its mildest forms. I have little doubt that some people are just profoundly introverted and get classified with Asperger's.

At the end of the day, anyone who has these kinds of issues has a "different way of being" and has extra work to do to figure out how to fit into society and function within it. Some folks even argue that pathologizing labels aren't helpful or pragmatic and are inherently disrespectful. There is some truth to that, I think, because frankly the prognosis for any of these things is not that great. There is no "cure". There are just coping mechanisms. Aspies can for instance learn by rote to recognize social cues, after a fashion, and thus interact more effectively with people. If a person finds eye contact painful, they can be desensitized and given cognitive tools to help ease that. And so on.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
After many counseling sessions and multiple forms of testing, I was diagnosed as having Aspergers at age 44. What made it difficult was I was receiving counseling for PTSD and thoughts of suicide. Some aspects of Aspergers are similar to some aspects of PTSD. To me, Aspergers isn't a disability. Knowing the symptoms has helped me to improve myself at work and my personal life. I still don't like going into large groups or gatherings. When I'm required to attend such events for social reasons (like weddings or funerals), I now know the warning signs of when it's getting to be too much for me and walk away to get some quiet alone time before returning. At such gatherings, my wife is my buffer since she's extremely social. Thankfully, my job is more than 2/3ds of the time spent alone in the boiler room. My cousin's daughter has non-verbal Autism. She's in her 20s with less communication ability than a 2 year old. If it weren't for their oldest daughter helping to care for her, my cousin and his wife could not have lasted as long as they have. It's an incredible emotional toll on them trying to care for a now adult daughter who can't communicate. They're approaching their 50s, their physical health is declining, and their marriage has suffered from their lives all revolving around caring for their daughter.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM

142 posts, read 220,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
After many counseling sessions and multiple forms of testing, I was diagnosed as having Aspergers at age 44. What made it difficult was I was receiving counseling for PTSD and thoughts of suicide. Some aspects of Aspergers are similar to some aspects of PTSD. To me, Aspergers isn't a disability. Knowing the symptoms has helped me to improve myself at work and my personal life. I still don't like going into large groups or gatherings. When I'm required to attend such events for social reasons (like weddings or funerals), I now know the warning signs of when it's getting to be too much for me and walk away to get some quiet alone time before returning. At such gatherings, my wife is my buffer since she's extremely social. Thankfully, my job is more than 2/3ds of the time spent alone in the boiler room. My cousin's daughter has non-verbal Autism. She's in her 20s with less communication ability than a 2 year old. If it weren't for their oldest daughter helping to care for her, my cousin and his wife could not have lasted as long as they have. It's an incredible emotional toll on them trying to care for a now adult daughter who can't communicate. They're approaching their 50s, their physical health is declining, and their marriage has suffered from their lives all revolving around caring for their daughter.
Asperger's has been taken off the DSM actually. If you were to be retested now you wouldn't meet the criteria. What you have doesn't sound anything like Autism, you probably just have a sub type of OCD and some non verbal issues.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The simplest way to explain it is that while the part of their brains which process hard facts develops to a greater degree and the part of their brain which processes social intelligence develops to a lesser degree.

Things which has a absolute rules such as mathematics are easy for them to comprehend. Things like social behavior in which rules are dependent on circumstances are very difficult for them to understand.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Autism is not a mental illness. It is a biologically based brain disorder. It makes it hard to socialize and understand other people. Often there are sensory sensitivities that accompany it--the brain interprets things differently, so what may feel like a gentle pat to most people might feel like a mighty slap to someone with autism. Likewise what may sound like a gentle rain to someone, may sound like gunfire to someone with autism. Most people with autism are extremely smart. They just happen to live in a world that does not make much sense to their differences. They have a hard time picking up on non-verbal cues, and have a tendency to take things literally. They tend to struggle socially. They say most do not "get" sarcasm or humor, but that has not been true in our case. Ditto for the lack of imaginative play, my 14 year old still loves to play with dolls and playmobil.

My 14 year old daughter has autism. She was not diagnosed until age 12, because in girls it tends to be more subtle, and they can be easily dismissed as simply being shy or quiet.

Autism exists on a spectrum from mildly disabling, to severely disabling. My daughter is on the mild end of the spectrum. I also believe my FIL is on the spectrum, although he has never been diagnosed.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I also wanted to add, that while I think some of the rise in autism diagnosis' can be explained through better screening, that does not explain the rise in severe cases of autism. There has also been a sharp rise in life threatening food allergies. It's hard to say what is causing these issues---could be it be pollution? Are we evolving? Who knows.

Also autism can have a genetic component. It is not uncommon to see siblings with autism.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Firstly, I edited what I originally said. It was a typo.

Oh, darling! It's as if you didn't read or comprehend what I said. Let me say it again: There are thousands of parents out there who will tell you that that after a vaccine (usually MMR), their child became sick within 24 hours, and then displayed signs of Autism. Go up to those parents and tell them that vaccines didn't cause their child's Autism, I guarantee you that one of them will slap you in the face. They have documentation (videotapes & photographs) that states otherwise.

Like I said before, these parents have seen with their naked eye something different from what the "multiple health agencies and independent studies". They don't believe those who say Autism cannot be vaccine-induced.

And lastly, I could go on and on about how despite whatever these "multiple health agencies and independent studies" have to say, you will never convince those parents into your way of thinking. Have you thought about the possibility that these are government-funded?
You are spouting a bunch of nonsense that has been debunked over and over and over again. You conspiracy theorists should find a new tree to bark up.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Asperger's has been taken off the DSM actually. If you were to be retested now you wouldn't meet the criteria. What you have doesn't sound anything like Autism, you probably just have a sub type of OCD and some non verbal issues.
They got rid of Aspergers, yes, and now put those who were diagnosed with Aspergers under the general autism label. People with Aspergers didn't lose their autism spectrum diagnosis, the world Aspergers has simply gone away.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You are spouting a bunch of nonsense that has been debunked over and over and over again. You conspiracy theorists should find a new tree to bark up.
Gosh, I wish people would read threads before trying to call someone out. I was clarifying what I originally stated because of someone was unable to comprehend what they read.

I reposted what I originally said in hopes that you understand where I'm coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Autism is short for ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's an issue with development. Autism can be a genetic condition, environmental factor, or a vaccine injury.

I name all three because there is a debate on what causes Autism. Who am I to tell a mother that the MMR vaccine didn't cause her child's Autism? If that's what she believes, then dammit, it was the freakin' vaccine. She's the one with her child on a daily basis. She's the one with home videos to document how the child acted before the vaccine and afterwords.

Another reason why I named all three is because some parents have cured their children's Autism. Whether it's by sending their child to the Autism Treatment Center of America or by changing their diet.

Joey is a more severe than what you might see.

Autism Treatment Center of America cured Brandon

Autism Treatment Center of America cured Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology