Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you talk to yourself out loud?
Yes 82 58.99%
No 13 9.35%
Sometimes 41 29.50%
Don't Care 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times

Advertisements

Yes I talk to myself. I do a lot more of having conversations with other people in my thinking mind. That way I get to choose what the other person says back to me. It's a win-win for me. When my son was just a kid and I drove him to school I would be making faces while talking to the other person. He would notice this and ask me who I was talking to. I live alone and have two house dogs that I talk to all the time. They are just like kids that never grow up.
So, I guess I'm normal or crazy....doesn't really make a vas deferens to me.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 03:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
I was just now asking myself if I had read this thread Recently. I couldn't remember reading it recently so I asked me and reminded myself I had read it a few times but had not posted recently.

I then told me to post something, so this is what I did.

SOMETHING

Old 10-19-2014, 04:39 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I don't talk to myself per se. I speak aloud my thoughts because I feel I have so much wisdom that someone has to hear it. So I just say it aloud to myself. When I do literally talk to myself is when I make affirmations over my life. I tell myself I love me and who I've become and how wonderful I am and the great things I will do in this world. It's very important for the body and self-esteem to know you love and care for it. It's listening to you.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:11 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
I'll swear outloud when working on something, usually something mechanical. A moderately bad habit I picked up from watching my dad.

Aside from that, never, absolutely never. I find it an irritating and sometimes passive-aggressive habit in others, having had a spouse and a few co-workers who talk to themselves while not alone.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:26 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Is it normal to talk to oneself out loud?
^Yes, it's within the range of "normal"-though of course people's ideas vary
about how rarely or how often (or regarding the content & delivery) is deemed "typical"/"healthy".
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Do most "normal" people find it creepy?
^Considering a behavior "creepy" depends on the setting & one's perspective:

In terms of speaking aloud, I talk to myself only a little-in private, at home alone-a line or two, here & there.
No one witnesses/overhears me, so there's no one to find it creepy (or anything else) in first place.
Were I out in public, a shared space w/people, I'd tailor my utterances so as to be socially acceptable (to degree I can manage).

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
For a way of thinking and putting your ideas on perspective it's good.

Talking with yourself not only relieves the loneliness, it may also make you smarter. It helps you clarify your thoughts, tend to what’s important and firm up any decisions you’re contemplating. There’s just one proviso: You become smarter only if you speak respectfully to yourself.

Talking to Yourself: A Sign of Sanity | World of Psychology

Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
All the time. Sometimes I disguise it as a conversation with my dogs

But seriously, I will sometimes just exclaim something out of the blue and it might not even make any sense - in addition to just talking myself through things on a regular basis. I'm severely ADD, and I have heard it is closely connected with Tourette's. I can see why that is. I'm not saying I have Tourette's, but I have some Tourette's-like behaviors that are actually manifestations of my ADD.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
I don't talk to myself out loud, even when I am alone except maybe to let a curse word if I spill hot coffee or something. I do talk to the other drivers when I am driving or to the TV especially if my NFL team is playing. People usually laugh at the things I say to the drivers or the football players so I don't think they find it creepy. I talk to my two cats when I am home, but that is for the cats not for myself. I did work with a woman who talked to herself. I didn't find it creepy, rather a little disconcerting because I never knew if she was talking to me and I should respond or just talking to herself. Then I would have to stop what I was doing and figure it out, so it was a bit of an interruption.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I talk to myself all the time; I call it "narrating my life"! I've been this way forever; what's embarrassing is when I'm doing this and someone in the next room says, "What?" "Sorry, just talking to myself!" I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. I'm sure other people think I'm weird, but whatever...

Old 10-25-2014, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 11,859 times
Supposedly, statistics show that creative types think out loud and talk to themselves more often. LOTS of fiction writers do this (whether they admit it or not!) I realized that when I talk out loud to myself, it seems to help when trying to solve a problem...something about hearing it audibly. It was only when I started talking out loud to my sailboat that I began worrying about being "weird" Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology