Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
How did you get to the mindset you have today? What events or observations shaped your views on women?
I think I have a little bitterness towards many women simply because, at least in my view, they tend to have the upper hand when it comes to dating, sex, romance, marriage, etc. The whole courtship process seems to demand that guys take the initiative, that guys make the moves, do the approaching, and do the chasing. And this seems to create a bit of a power imbalance, whereby the female (especially attractive ones) gets to sit back and be the commodity and the guy has to prove himself worthy and capable of meeting the price of that commodity (and pretty women know they are in high demand). And this puts the female in a position of power, and depending on the female's personality and/or morals/ethics, she may abuse her position. Guys crave physical attraction and generally have high sex drives, and most women know this, so it's easy for an attractive female to exploit a guy's hardwiring to her advantage. The less attractive females can't exploit things to the same degree, but they still can; just their pool of potential exploitees is smaller.

But don't get me wrong: I don't hate women. I just hate the advantages women seem to have in the romance/sexual department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I wear Birkenstocks :-(
But I also wear a bra, don't want the double Ds dragging on the ground.
Can you tie them in knot, can you tie them in a bow?

Sorry. Made me LOL. Tried to rep ya.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I think I have a little bitterness towards many women simply because, at least in my view, they tend to have the upper hand when it comes to dating, sex, romance, marriage, etc. The whole courtship process seems to demand that guys take the initiative, that guys make the moves, do the approaching, and do the chasing. And this seems to create a bit of a power imbalance, whereby the female (especially attractive ones) gets to sit back and be the commodity and the guy has to prove himself worthy and capable of meeting the price of that commodity (and pretty women know they are in high demand). And this puts the female in a position of power, and depending on the female's personality and/or morals/ethics, she may abuse her position. Guys crave physical attraction and generally have high sex drives, and most women know this, so it's easy for an attractive female to exploit a guy's hardwiring to her advantage. The less attractive females can't exploit things to the same degree, but they still can; just their pool of potential exploitees is smaller.

But don't get me wrong: I don't hate women. I just hate the advantages women seem to have in the romance/sexual department.
Key word: "seem". This is mostly a matter of perception. MANY women don't feel like they have any advantage at all, especially the women who don't get approached, except by bums. You're basing your resentment on a minority of women, the pretty ones. And you're assuming they're "exploiting" what you see as an advantage. Then you extend that to plain and unattractive women, and assume they're exploiting this advantage, too, even though many never get approached by anyone stable and capable of at least supporting themselves. (And btw, even some of the pretty ones don't get approached at all, for various reasons.)

So much of this is in your mind. Do you see how your mind is doing a number on you? In order to resolve this problem, all you have to do is change your mind. Change your focus, and lose the mythology that's upsetting you so.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-01-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 04:18 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Key word: "seem". This is mostly a matter of perception. MANY women don't feel like they have any advantage at all, especially the women who don't get approached, except by bums. You're basing your resentment on a minority of women, the pretty ones. And you're assuming they're "exploiting" what you see as an advantage. Then you extend that to plain and unattractive women, and assume they're exploiting this advantage, too, even though many never get approached by anyone stable and capable of at least supporting themselves. (And btw, even some of the pretty ones don't get approached at all, for various reasons.)

So much of this is in your mind. Do you see how your mind is doing a number on you? In order to resolve this problem, all you have to do is change your mind. Change your focus, and lose the mythology that's upsetting you so.
This is a bit of what happened to me in my last relationship. I was very much into the guy I was dating and had strong feelings for him. Among other things, he had a hang up about me being good looking (in his opinion) and therefore he was convinced I had a lot of "options" other than him. I didn't, never did and I didn't want others, I only was interested in him. But he was convinced I had or could have many men and he was bitter about it--even called me a liar when I said I didn't have a harem of men chasing me. He never could 100% accept that I was into him and I think it's one of the things that got in the way and why things ended.

He has trouble with relationships with women. I bet a lot of women have "tried" to win him over and run into this brick wall with him. I came close I think. But his own hangups are keeping him single (and he hates it... he's lonely). It's sad to see this self sabotage because otherwise, he's a great guy.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:25 PM

306 posts, read 299,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
This is a bit of what happened to me in my last relationship. I was very much into the guy I was dating and had strong feelings for him. Among other things, he had a hang up about me being good looking (in his opinion) and therefore he was convinced I had a lot of "options" other than him. I didn't, never did and I didn't want others, I only was interested in him. But he was convinced I had or could have many men and he was bitter about it--even called me a liar when I said I didn't have a harem of men chasing me. He never could 100% accept that I was into him and I think it's one of the things that got in the way and why things ended.

He has trouble with relationships with women. I bet a lot of women have "tried" to win him over and run into this brick wall with him. I came close I think. But his own hangups are keeping him single (and he hates it... he's lonely). It's sad to see this self sabotage because otherwise, he's a great guy.
I wonder why he is this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology