Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

My worst time of the year seems to be now (May) and the holiday season (mid-November through early January). The holidays are especially hard because of losses I've experienced and how my life has been in stasis ever since college graduation in 2010. I am currently experiencing a bout of the May blues and have in 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010. I think it is partly because of seeing all the vanity of your plans for the summer, and also just a cyclical thing.

My best time of the year is when the leaves change in mid-September to when they fall in mid-October. I especially like warm autumn days. This is interesting because I was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, my father died, and my grandfather died, all in October.

What are your best and worst times of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:15 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
My worst time of the year seems to be now (May) and the holiday season (mid-November through early January). The holidays are especially hard because of losses I've experienced and how my life has been in stasis ever since college graduation in 2010. I am currently experiencing a bout of the May blues and have in 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010. I think it is partly because of seeing all the vanity of your plans for the summer, and also just a cyclical thing.

My best time of the year is when the leaves change in mid-September to when they fall in mid-October. I especially like warm autumn days. This is interesting because I was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, my father died, and my grandfather died, all in October.

What are your best and worst times of the year?
My least favorite month is October.. the days are getting shorter but it's not the Holiday season (yet).. for some reason, I actually feel better in January even though the days are shorter but they're slowly getting longer.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
tvdxer, inoperable cancer = October permanently all-time worst month IMO. Not to mention the deaths...my condolences.

Now my plight seems minimized, but I'll proceed anyway. For me the worst months are or have seemed to be November and April. November because of the regional dreariness and the reality of winter setting in...April because spring is taking hold and I'm probably not quite sharing in the general mood uplifting I witness around me. I'd say my aversion to November is roughly lifelong while my dislike for April is a product of the past 7-8 years. The past many springs I've felt a strong desire to withdraw...I once read that spring was a bad time for suicides. That may have only pertained only for people with a bipolar diagnosis, though, I forget. Regardless, it struck me as...understandable.

Best is I guess summer, but sometimes these days I lean winter instead. As a kid the best was always summer.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
I was just thinking about this the other day. I find in my life this has changed a lot. As for now though I really dislike spring and summer. I love Fall and winter. I come alive then. There is college football which I love and Halloween starts off the holiday seasons of thanksgiving and Christmas. And after New years I spend every waking moment snow skiing until April. Now everything is just blah! I am the only one I know who is already counting down the days until Fall 2014. It also does not help that I am the only one usually in my circle that feels this way and I am always looked at as "weird".

In college and high school I of course loved Summer and Spring. Even a few years post college I loved summer and would host cook outs and pool parties on the summer holidays..but since 2008 or so I usually just work and stay inside during the summer I just can't take the heat anymore and it's not just that, it's the whole atmosphere of summer where it's daylight all the dang time...but yeah that is how I am. I understand what the Op is saying too!

Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
worst= jan-mar(especially this year. pretty much the most depressing times of my life have always occured during these months)

best= jun-aug

Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
From January to April, I am tired of short days and it is quite boring, also tired of studies/work.

The best is from May to October and also the previous weeks before Christmas.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:19 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Worst: Icy/snowy/frigid temps that can run anywhere from Dec - Mar

Best: Spring and Fall (no high heat or humidity)

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
I have a lot of mixed feelings about the holidays.

I have another family member that has a hard time not starting trouble around the holidays...always wondering what will happen.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 AM

411 posts, read 416,329 times
I dread winter as it affects my health.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Best time of year for me is October - December. Love the fall season and even at my advanced age, I still love the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season. Worst has to be January-that month really sucks followed by July-hate the intense heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology