Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Obviously, outside of one minority group, only a small percentage of men spends much time in jail. I think most men have some controlling tendencies, which can easily be spun into "abusive" by a resentful person.
You're not satisfied with generalization and aspersions, so now you gratuitously take shots at racial groups as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM

244 posts, read 707,769 times
No not really, I'm single, never had a girlfriend and I'm happy where I'm at. I don't need someone else to make me happy because there are more important things in life than dating, especially at such a young age in college.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM

19,679 posts, read 12,265,621 times
When Elliot Rodger says the hot blonde chicks choose brutes and animals, ya think he really knows anything about those various guys dating the girls he feels he is entitled to? He does not, he ASSumed it, it makes him feel better to think the great looking, fit guy who is good at sports cannot possibly also be smart and decent. They might even be engineering students with high IQs. He could not handle that kind of information.

Some people take goofy high school and college comedy movies that use major stereotypes much too seriously.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. These men believe that women choose abusive men over them because they see it happen over and over again. How many women do you see with men who are abusive, controlling, insanely jealous, can't stay out of jail, etc.? And how many women do you see, on the other hand, with men significantly less attractive than they are? Our culture prizes looks over character -- which is fine, to a point, if people would just admit that fact. But we find it too unpalatable, so we have to denigrate the social undesirables even further by making them out to be "bad" or "dangerous" people. In fact the dangerous ones are the ones you'd never suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Obviously, outside of one minority group, only a small percentage of men spends much time in jail. I think most men have some controlling tendencies, which can easily be spun into "abusive" by a resentful person.
BonyT claims that men who don't date see women choose abusive men "over and over again" and asks how many women you see with men who are abusive, controlling, etc.

It sounds like he believes that there are two kinds of men in the world, "nice guys" who never get the girl and abusive bullies who end up with all the hot chicks. (Isn't that the basic premise of the PUA hate sites?)

My question is what percentage of dating and married men do you honestly believe are abusive, controlling, jealous, awful boyfriends/husbands, etc?

Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 PM

463 posts, read 560,296 times
Man what a cluster......we as a society are so out-of-whack because we are just utterly obsessed with the notion of obtaining other humans as prized possessions.

Whether its men feeling entitled to women's bodies or women feeling entitled to their "dream guy" this constant need of only wanting "the best" when it comes to other hunks of living flesh leads us to being one giant mass of depressed and bitter people.

I will say, in women's defense, at least they do not go on killing sprees when their crushes are unrequited. On the other hand I think us men as a whole have a major entitlement issue. We all want the same small slice of very attractive high status women, intuitively knowing that its ridiculous to assume an average schlub can easily win them over, but somehow we think are the exception to the rule. And then when predictably things don't pan out, we throw temper tantrums and get our panties in a bunch and accuse women of being "b*tches" because they can't see how awesome our average selves are.

Average men who are reading this: do society a favor and stick to dating average women. If you can't bear the thought of being around someone at your level then either increase your stock or simply don't date. Stop making life for everyone else miserable because the real world doesn't match up to your delusional fantasies of scoring with a different perfect 10 model every night.

Same goes for women.....you are not entitled to a 6'2" handsome alpha-male doctor who will remain monogamous and faithful. Bring little to the table besides your looks and your whatever state college degree, and you are setting yourself up for getting your heart broken over and over again, wondering why all men are cheaters and *******s when the problem is that you are a 50k a year nurse with no family or social pedigree and he graduated from Harvard and will most likely marry a Ivy League grad as well after he's had his fun with you.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Legalize prostitution, this doesn't happen to society that have legalized them because those teens get their 1st sex lessons from a prostitute.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 PM

19,679 posts, read 12,265,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Average men who are reading this: do society a favor and stick to dating average women. If you can't bear the thought of being around someone at your level then either increase your stock or simply don't date. Stop making life for everyone else miserable because the real world doesn't match up to your delusional fantasies of scoring with a different perfect 10 model every night.

Same goes for women.....you are not entitled to a 6'2" handsome alpha-male doctor who will remain monogamous and faithful. Bring little to the table besides your looks and your whatever state college degree, and you are setting yourself up for getting your heart broken over and over again, wondering why all men are cheaters and *******s when the problem is that you are a 50k a year nurse with no family or social pedigree and he graduated from Harvard and will most likely marry a Ivy League grad as well after he's had his fun with you.
The thing is, some "average" men who are really socially awkward cannot get average women or even below average women. I think they call it undateable. Elliot Rodger was that. Normal average men will go for the top hot girl they can get then go down the ladder. It's funny watching them circle around the hottest girl in the club but she is surrounded by her less hot friends and they try to drill their way through to the hottie, ignoring the others who may be sevens or eights but all the guys only see that ten. By the end of the night they settle for twos.

I have however known quite a few doctor/nurse married couples. If the woman is attractive, cool and not whiny or needy, men don't seem to care about career or financial status of the woman for the most part. There are exceptions with those Power couples but that is not a rule at all. What can happen though is a successful unattractive woman expecting a hot successful man. I know of women failing with that on dating sites and they get really angry about it (but don't kill anyone).

Old 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,450,928 times
I read ALL 137 pages of his 'twisted world' manifesto. And it really is twisted! It took me LITERALLY 1 whole freaking day to read it all. LOL!

The one that got me WTFing was when he said he drove ALL THE WAY to AZ to buy lotto tickets for whopping $700, $400 and DID NOT WIN!!

Really?! What's more indicative that he is mentally retarded is... he checks those 700, 400 lotto tickets MANUALLY! One by one?!! I mean this kid does not know that there is a ticket checker in stores?!

I just find it hard to believe that of all those hundreds of tickets he did not even win the minor prizes? The $1 ones, $5 or even $500?

He also has a sick view of the world. And EVERYONE is saying he is quiet, never talks. And so all those times he is quiet, his mind is just going and going.

I am a woman and have been a virgin waaaaaaaaaaay longer than him. But I never planned to shoot people, LOL.

I think that's what separates sane and insane people. And to think I'm half crazy. LOL.

I concur in that 1 comment I read from an article about this story. He lacks common sense. Common sense goes a long loooooooong way to save one's life and in this case, the popular kids' lives who this kid hated so much. Oh yeah also the humanity.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 PM

398 posts, read 471,876 times
I think Hollywood is part of the problem.

They give us unrealistic beauty standards, like the more attractive you are, the more successful you will be. Look at all of Brad Pitt's movies...he's rarely the loser or a creepy character, and is always cast in the hero roles. And this is nothing against Pitt, because he is also a good guy.

Then look at Steve Buscemi. He's always cast as the creep, or loser, because he is unattractive (classically.)

TV Shows do this a lot, too. I love The Big Bang Theory, and 2 Broke Girls, but both are full of stereotypes. Two and a Half Men was known for it.

And don't get me started on the 40 Year Old Virgin. A lot of older virgins have been having to see shrinks, and take antidepressants, since that movie came out.

The problem is Hollywood, and society, push beauty standards, social standards, and standards like "40 year old virgins are abnormal" on us, and then when someone who is confused and also violent like Elliot Rodger reacts to it, we blame either guns or mental illness for it. What about also blaming Hollywood? This guy was part of Hollywood, and he reacted to the stereotypes that Hollywood have pushed on us.

Those of us who are mature, and well enough, to laugh off the stupid Hollywood stereotypes, do okay even if we don't measure up, but those who aren't mentally well can't do that.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 PM

463 posts, read 560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The thing is, some "average" men who are really socially awkward cannot get average women or even below average women. I think they call it undateable. Elliot Rodger was that. Normal average men will go for the top hot girl they can get then go down the ladder. It's funny watching them circle around the hottest girl in the club but she is surrounded by her less hot friends and they try to drill their way through to the hottie, ignoring the others who may be sevens or eights but all the guys only see that ten. By the end of the night they settle for twos.
I knew plenty of guys that were considered "undateable" but still managed to find girlfriends. A lot of them were complete oddballs and worked menial/average jobs but they still managed to couple up. The key was they were comfortable in their skin and weren't too concerned about landing the hottest thing in the room or being a player. The only guys I noticed who struggled were the ones I could tell had a massive chip on their shoulder. I could just feel the negative energy from them, even though they were self-proclaimed "nice guys" or whatever.

Quote:
I have however known quite a few doctor/nurse married couples. If the woman is attractive, cool and not whiny or needy, men don't seem to care about career or financial status of the woman for the most part. There are exceptions with those Power couples but that is not a rule at all. What can happen though is a successful unattractive woman expecting a hot successful man. I know of women failing with that on dating sites and they get really angry about it (but don't kill anyone).
You're probably right on this....but I was just trying to illustrate how the entitlement can cut both ways. Unattractive successful women do seem to be the most bitter about dating.....guys primarily look for physical traits first before checking a woman's career and finances.

Plus I'm seeing plenty of women who have the looks and the brains (total package). Very attractive women who are dentists, doctors, lawyers, businesswomen, etc. so being a frumpy successful woman just isn't going to cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology