Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
More like, "If you're gonna be so darn picky, at least do us ALL a favor and weed out the deadbeats and abusers as well!"

This Video Perfectly Describes What Women Consider Creepy At A Bar (Video)
Interestingly I didn't find the first guy creepy at all. The second guy was a creep. The part about knowing she tried on a red dress and knew it looked good on her in the dressing room smacks of stalker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 PM

398 posts, read 471,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Interestingly I didn't find the first guy creepy at all. The second guy was a creep. The part about knowing she tried on a red dress and knew it looked good on her in the dressing room smacks of stalker.
It's supposed to be satire, not taken seriously.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
It's supposed to be satire, not taken seriously.
Okay then... It certainly didn't seem like anything that would really happen to me. That would explain why.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

189 posts, read 276,194 times
On the contrary... it's meant to be taken completely seriously. Attractiveness makes women creep-blind. ;-)

Heavyset guy wearing untucked button-down and slightly unconventional facial hair, being perfectly polite in the course of asking you if you'd like a drink = creepy.

Brad Pitt naked, covered in blood, with a machete in one hand and a dead cat in the other = hottest thing you've seen all year.

Last edited by BonyT; 06-01-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,645,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehop743 View Post
Something bothers me about this, though some other posts by goodheathen have seemed very sensible to me. When I was Rodger's age, I was blessed with a high degree of "success" with women-- enough to make me regret the emptiness of it all later, when I considered the inadvertant probable consequences in contributing to a lot of women's sense of the flimsiness of intimacy. I wasn't a conniving pick-up artist, and the most forward I'd be with women would be to either start up a casual conversation or to express that I found them attractive. I didn't scheme manipulatively and I didn't deceive. I took their statements at face value (including expressions of uninterest). I'm not attractive in some standard, universal way, but some women apparently found me very attractive, and I was hit on a lot by older women, sometimes in breathtakingly blatant ways.
-- When I was a kid, I was quite shy, and I did give some attention to breaking out of it, and I'll have to admit, when I was 14 and 15, my motivation was largely because I felt I was lacking in the opposite-sex-relationship department. I didn't feel cheated, I felt a little inadequate, but at any rate, resolving to take the risks to initiate contact was about the only "conniving" or "plotting" I engaged in.
-- I've been rejected, welcomed, and hit on by women across the spectrum of attractiveness, from women who were so attractive that it was difficult to go out in public without guys impaling themselves on parking meters trying to get a better look to women whom many guys would call ugly.
-- Sexual attraction is a subjective thing, I should add. I've been attracted to women other guys have considered unattractive, and some women that other guys find "hot" leave me cold.
-- At any rate, in terms of both the value of a relationship and sexual intensity, I've found only a slight correlation with the usual "standards" of attractiveness, and I just can't grasp the concept of reserving greater resentment for rejections from "merely average" women than from "hot" women. Women are a diverse population, and have different tastes, different moral orientations, and different priorities in relationships, and some women who are "merely average" in looks are going to have more selective moral orientations and priorities than some "hot" women. Not all women who are chaste are "hot," and neither are all women who are looking for certain personality traits in a potential partner. The notion that the "merely average" of both sexes have no grounds for being selective is absurd.
-- We live in a materialist, empirical, commodifying culture and all of these things are connected. Feminism isn't innocent in this, either, since most of the concrete goals the movement pursues have to do with getting more money and more power, and more material and physical security. It's part of the law of unintended consequences. Marxism is based on a materialist take on the human condition, yet most Marxists or neo-Marxists or followers of ideologies derivative from Marxist principles seem amazed when that materialism plays out in ways they don't like.
-- Human beings aren't mere commodities. Unfortunately, the features of human persons that make them more than meat machines don't lend themselves to the objectification, quantification, and aggregating-averaging-stereotyping that are built into scientific method. In an empirical age, it's hard to find compelling arguments in support of the really "human" features. Instead, the cutting edge of today's conventional wisdom insists that freedom is an illusion, even that mind is an illusion. And morality? That's just a means to oppress the masses.
-- Buddhism (and other religions) teach that one way to get free of suffering is not to expect it to stop. I can attest to the truth of this. Yet today, we treat an exemption from suffering like a commodity and an entitlement, and some suffer even more from the expectation of that entitlement. We raise kids to feel entitled to self-esteem and pride, and then wonder why some get carried away with narcissism and a sense of entitlement.
-- I don't know, this post has gone off the rails, but so be it.
Some wisdom from Plutarch: "A shortcut to riches is to subtract from one's desires."

Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,561,136 times
Interesting video; I doubt anything like that would ever happen to me either!

I think a lot of women, especially younger ones, are taken in by good-looking men. It isn't until women get a little more experience under their belts that they wise up.

I was at the market a few months ago, and a random guy asked me out to dinner. I had no interest, so I said, "No, thank you. I'm with someone." I saw him a couple of minutes later on another aisle, and he said, "Last chance!" I just repeated my "no, thank you" and continued shopping, but I realized I had made the right choice.

Here is a guy who didn't hear the word "no", and he also didn't respect this relationship I was already in. He was put immediately into the "creepy" category in my mind, and that was that. If this had happened to me even ten or fifteen years ago, I would have been flattered that he asked me out (whether or not I took him up on his offer).

Btw, I agree with Ivorytickler that the first guy was fine, but the second guy was ultra creepy and made me want to break out in hives, satire or not.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times
Quote:
On the contrary... it's meant to be taken completely seriously. Attractiveness makes women creep-blind. ;-)

Heavyset guy wearing untucked button-down and slightly unconventional facial hair, being perfectly polite in the course of asking you if you'd like a drink = creepy.

Brad Pitt naked, covered in blood, with a machete in one hand and a dead cat in the other = hottest thing you've seen all year.

lol

Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,943,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to disagree with you. First I don't think Davros sounds like him and second, nice guys who are on the shy side can indeed finish last because they get started late. I used to double date with my brother's best friend because my brother's girlfriend couldn't single date. I was head over heels by the time my brother got married but he never even hinted that he liked me in return. 8 years later at my nephews christening (he was the God father and I was the God mother) he looked at me and said "I would have married you if you'd waited for me.". I would have liked to have known that back then because I would have waited. He was my best friend. Someone I could talk to about anything. I really missed him after my brother got married and we didn't double date anymore. I've never had that in a relationship again and at this point in my life, that sounds like heaven. Sometimes nice guys never let on that they like you because they're too shy and you think they don't because they never said anything. I convinced myself that his silence meant he didn't feel the same way when the problem was he didn't know how to tell me he did.

If I could go back in time and tap myself on the shoulder our lives would have been very different. He's one of the nicest guys I know. Honest, hard working and caring. He could always make me laugh no matter how hard a day I had. He never did marry. He says I was the only girl he ever wanted to marry but he was just too shy to tell me. Too afraid I'd say no and he'd have to see me all the time because I was his best friend's sister. I guess I could have confided in my brother. I never did because I thought he didn't like me. Yes, nice guys can finish last. All it takes is miscommunication and assumptions that are wrong.
Thank you for sharing. What you said is exactly the truth about people like me. I think there's a person I knew in college who really liked me, and I really liked her, but she never knew because I never asked her out. The last thing she ever said to me was "nice haircut" and the last thing I said to her was "thanks". I think she lives somewhere in South America nowadays.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,943,105 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. A lot of women were creeped out by Ted Bundy, which saved their lives, while others were fooled by his boyish good looks and they payed the ultimate price. Many women know that good looking men can be dangerous, and even more so these days than in the 70s. Bundy wouldn't have made it so long nowadays. He would have been caught much sooner because women now are aware of the charming psychopath.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,427,487 times
Quote:
More like, "If you're gonna be so darn picky, at least do us ALL a favor and weed out the deadbeats and abusers as well!"
Why do you think you get to decide who she gets to "weed out"? Because what really matters to you is CONTROL. If someone doesn't want to sleep with you, you want to control who she WILL sleep with.

You are full to the brim with ludicrous MRA "we're SO nice no one will sleep with us, seriously, being too nice is the only possible explanation" nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology