Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you seriously saying that women weren't encouraged to date (and marry) upwards "a couple of generations ago"? Because that's, well, BS of the highest caliber.

The balance of power has shifted in that women are no longer considered worthless if unmarried, and that's a damn good thing.
You are obtuse beyond belief. Why don't you think of the logical implications of disallowing women from having blatant premarital dalliances with whoever they please combined with strict monogamy, and get back to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:13 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
You are obtuse beyond belief. Why don't you think of the logical implications of disallowing women from having blatant premarital dalliances with whoever they please combined with strict monogamy, and get back to us?
<shrug> If you have an argument, make it.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I just read the chilling transcripts from a video posted by the Santa Barbara killer. I was struck by how eerily similar his rhetoric is to some of the young guys who post here. I understand he also posted at bodybuilding.com like many of the guys that come here lamenting the fact that they can't "get a female."

Of course my post title is facetious. But I wonder if getting enmeshed in an Internet community where such ideas are supported may be perpetuating the isolation and disconnection to reality. What can we in our own lives do? If anything?

Transcript of the disturbing video 'Elliot Rodger's Retribution'*-*Los Angeles Times
No, we should send them to Amsterdam or Thailand.

Btw, I was still a virgin at his age and I turned out fine..

Last edited by ragnarkar; 05-26-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
But I wonder if getting enmeshed in an Internet community where such ideas are supported may be perpetuating the isolation and disconnection to reality. What can we in our own lives do? If anything?

Transcript of the disturbing video 'Elliot Rodger's Retribution'*-*Los Angeles Times
I won't even address your facetious suggestion that women should somehow sacrifice their lives, integrity and moral compasses to "protect society." As far as the above part of your question:

Serial killers have been around since the dawn of time. Jack the Ripper didn't have the internet, video games, social focus on sexuality, women dressing in hoochie mama clothes, or anything else being discussed on this thread and many others. The guy is sick. Period. Even in isolated places and times there have been people who have their wiring all screwed up.

This is a bit of armchair psychology - and I'm sure there are others on here who have a bigger degree than I do in Psychology, but... he sounds like a malignant narcissist. He can justify all of his self-hatred by blaming everyone else. He is never wrong. Other people are wrong for not seeing his brilliance and he will punish them for not agreeing with him. No one else exists as a real person in his worldview. He only sees "the Other" as an object; a device to get him what he wants. Other people don't have lives, life choices, real issues, needs and desires separate from him.

So - to answer the OP's question, did "our society" cause him to be the way he is? Who knows? I doubt it. Just as I can't CAUSE you to pick up drugs, beat your pets, lie on your SAT's, or even respond to this post... in a perfect world, no one outside of us can CAUSE us to do anything. Life is a series of choices. Can we be brainwashed and manipulated? Yes. Cass Sunstein (Obama's former Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs) wrote a chilling article on how easy it is to brainwash students.

But -- Unless we go back and recreate this guy's life from day one, minute by minute, we'll never really know what his influences have been. For all we know, he was dropped on his head at birth and that damaged parts of his neural circuitry. Maybe his mom had toxicity in the womb. Maybe he was beat up as a kid. Maybe his mental illness developed so slowly that those around him didn't notice until it was too late. Maybe he's just evil. Speculation only causes regulation, so it does none of us any good. That guy in Tucson who shot Giffords was not (as originally reported) a "tea party nutjob." In fact, he was an admirer of Stalin, Mao and Hitler, and was trying to get his new currency some attention. His myspace page had that and many quotes to that effect. These guys all have their little world all figured out in the space between their ears. And somehow reason and logic have not been allowed in to challenge their crazy world views. Keep your wits about you! The wackjobs we will have with us always...

Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
More and more people are becoming virgins every day.
How does one "become" a virgin? Birth?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
He also says he walked into his mom's house one time to hear his sister having sex with her boyfriend (of course this enraged and depressed him.) He writes something like, "I heard his penis going in and out of my sister's vagina when I walked in" - it's a very clinical, removed term, like his using 'impregnated my mother' rather than 'my mom gave birth' or whatnot. He came to see sex as something he desperately desires while also hating it, seeing it as dirty and that should be banned (he explains his ideas to a friend, who replies that he feels this way because he hasn't been able to get a date, and Rodger admits to that).

He wasn't really molly coddled, I don't think. Well, it wasn't like his parents handed him a limitless credit card. They had some wealth while he was growing up, although after his parents' divorce his mom often had to move, sometimes moving into very small residences to something she could afford. When he graduated high school, and then dropped college classes because he couldn't deal with seeing couples being affectionate, his mom told him it was either get a job or take more classes. He was bullied in school a lot. He did have a lot of entitlement issues, from what wealth they had.

It is really sad that he didn't get the help he needed - he was seeing therapists but I don't know if they knew the extent of his troubling thoughts. I don't think he chose to be lonely, though - he did see some life skills counselors, and he did try talking to other people in the common area of his apartment complex (using alcohol to bolster his nerves, and even then people told him, "Why are you so quiet?"). But this type of society anxiety is crippling, as his experience shows. He clearly desperately wanted to meet people and be liked.

I seriously couldn't read the whole 141 pages and honestly I made every excuse in the world not to.. I did have the patience to get to page 24 or 26 or something. My opinion about this guy is that he was a total tool. I was hoping that he was at least somewhat personable by his videos.. but he was a waste of air. He had the money to get professional ( real professional help) excluding life counselors to help him with his problem.. and all he did is ***** and moan for many years. So, he seriously thought that his condition was normal? I think he worked as hard as hell making himself some icon of being right about his complete babble. So, yeah-- other men just impregnate woman and he was completely incapable ( Boo Hoo) He didn't want to fix any problem and it's probably just as well that someone like myself never met him and he was socially introverted because if he would have encountered the wrong person.. he wouldn't be writing this paper at 22. Someone would have already put him our of his misery ( hence.. being thrown off the balcony by his friends) What a complete pansy and waste of life.

Thanks for enlightening about the scene about someone having sex with his sister as I really did not have the patience to read it that far. Cripes..

Rant over ( Not at you) but I am telling you... there are people such as myself with too short of fuse for this little moron. I can be nice.. but he did have the money but enjoyed whining, and taping himself.. and writing a 141 page nauseating and extremely boring paper about his 'supreme being'. Like I said, total waste of human life and I am personally glad he is gone.. but I feel horrible that this little prick had victims.

Edit: It certainly doesn't help me knowing that his parents called the police before his 'supreme being' broke down. That just lets me know that they were aware of the condition way before calling the police... as in many years before calling the police. He needed to be institutionalized.. so, that is not some foreign thought that just appeared out of thin air, here.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 05-26-2014 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 10:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
What was going on with Elliot Rodger had nothing to do with dating really. He never, ever approached a woman to talk to her. He never asked a woman out. He was never rejected by women, because to do so, you have to communicate with them first. He never did.

His roommates would take him to parties where he would sit in a corner, refusing to look at or speak to anyone, male or female, stay for a little while, then leave.

However, he wanted pretty blond women to some how recognize what he considered to be his awesomeness from afar and then approach and throw themselves at him. This is not reality.

Let's not forget he was also planning to kill his brother and his step-mother. The first three people he killed were his three male room mates. He stabbed them to death.

This guy had been in therapy from the time he was eight years old and was still seeing a therapist multiple times a week at 22. Like, Adam Lanza, the CT school shooter, he was not right in the head, from childhood. Something was off in the brain wiring, which only got worse with age and as psychosis deepened.

He was simply evil and crazy. Going on a date was not going to cure him as he would never be able to sustain a relationship. The fault in this situation lies entirely in the mind of Elliot Rodger. He received non-stop help and nothing worked.
First and last parts sully the rest. He was not born evil (there are hints he once had a little empathy for others), and he definitely did try to initiate friendly contact with women.

How to keep unhappy young men from turning into killers? Well, there will be calls for gun control tied to mental health records, but I don't believe much more can be done in that area and people who want to mass murder can find ways around restrictions. Heck, he somehow killed three people with knives. I think we should redouble anti-bullying efforts (maybe he was born 10 years too soon) and also focus on my notorious "common problems" of females and materialistic and deceptive esteem-lowering messages in the media.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
First and last parts sully the rest. He was not born evil (there are hints he once had a little empathy for others), and he definitely did try to initiate friendly contact with women.

How to keep unhappy young men from turning into killers? Well, there will be calls for gun control tied to mental health records, but I don't believe much more can be done in that area and people who want to mass murder can find ways around restrictions. Heck, he somehow killed three people with knives. I think we should redouble anti-bullying efforts (maybe he was born 10 years too soon) and also focus on my notorious "common problems" of females and materialistic and deceptive esteem-lowering messages in the media.
He killed his alpha males first for the TENTH TIME... he didn't want a freaking woman. He never even ask one out..

By the way. I am not saying people are stupid by posting here, but there are several that think this guy wanted a girlfriend, which is complete BS. He didn't want anything as far as a relationship.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I wonder if Rodger considered his three Asian male victims (those killed in his apartment) to be Alpha males, or did they just remind him of the possibly hated and "revolting" Asian half of himself; and have to be "terminated" in a very "personal" manner? It seems he viewed them as losers.

Rodger could have used a silencer; and stabbing to death not just one individual, but three, does not seem to be that common, and is not as "detached" as murder by firearm.

There were multiple layers to his craziness. Thanks to C-D member Ozpharmer for the following link:

2014 Isla Vista killings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three men were stabbed to death at Rodger's apartment. The victims were identified as Cheng Yuan "James" Hong, 20; George Chen, 19; and Weihan "David" Wang, 20. Hong and Chen were confirmed to be Rodger's roommates, while police were investigating whether Wang was also a roommate or visiting the apartment on the night of the killings...

Rodger, who was Eurasian, wrote in his manifesto that being mixed race made him "different from the normal fully white kids".[9][55] On one online forum, Rodger stated that he opposed interracial dating and made several racist posts regarding African American, Hispanic, South Asian, and East Asian peoples, stating that seeing men of these ethnic groups socializing with white women "makes you want to quit life".[55][68][69] In one online post, Rodger stated:
Full Asian men are disgustingly ugly and white girls would never go for you. You're just butthurt that you were born as an asian piece of ****, so you lash out by linking these fake pictures. You even admit that you wish you were half white. You'll never be half-white and you'll never fulfill your dream of marrying a white woman. I suggest you jump off a bridge.[68]
Further, in his manifesto, Rodger wrote:
How could an inferior, ugly black boy be able to get a white girl and not me? I am beautiful, and I am half white myself. I am descended from British aristocracy. He is descended from slaves.[70]

Last edited by pacific2; 05-26-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
BMI is relevant in most cases. It's just not always accurate because of muscle mass and bone structure.
I am 6' 8" and according to BMI, I am obese unless I resemble something akin to an Auschwitz survivor. Serously... I weighed 218 when I was 18 and looked quite lanky. The BMI said I should weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 210 (!).

The BMI is a horribly inaccurate method of determining obesity. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the BMI considered Kate Upton grossly overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology