Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

I shouldn't still be worried about being "popular" or "well liked," but I work as a substitute teacher, and I really think personality goes a long way towards connecting with the kids. I'm more or less socially withdrawn, extremely shy, or introverted. I don't enjoy social contact much, because I feel like I'm awkward with it. I'm the kind of person who likes to do things "right." I don't like to try something new if I don't feel like I know what I'm doing. I feel like this cautiousness may be hurting my job performance, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 10:03 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
You would be best to learn about WHAT exactly is going on in the kid's minds about substitute teachers!

I can tell you it was NOT anything to do with liking her or being nice to her when I was in middle / high school. Rather we looked upon substitute teachers as a "vacation" from work. Someone we could easily manipulate and lie to so we could get out of doing any work! We would push them to the limit - if we could.

With that said, the "successful" substitute teacher came in with a stern no-nonsense look which could kill!

Notice how the teacher in the following picture has a ruler in her hand and she is ready to strike at the tiniest provocation...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vLulw6jDpO...er-300x270.jpg

I should think that would be the best way to handle the little monsters?

Other than that, talk to the school principal or experienced teachers. I'm sure they have gone through what you are going through - would have the best advice.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Substitute teachers are just seen as mince-meat for the kids, even the nice ones. Trying to connect? I wouldn't even bother, honestly. Just get the work done.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:30 PM

Assuming it's my fault, though, what could I do to make myself more "likeable?" I feel like I have some kind of personality defect, maybe Aspergers or Social Anxiety Disorder. I doubt my ability to communicate with people, so I usually don't do anything. People greet me, for instance, and I don't immediately know how to respond.

I was thinking about going to Second City comedy school, joining Toastmasters, or getting involved in something else that would help make socializing more intuitive, but I don't seem to have time or money.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Assuming it's my fault, though, what could I do to make myself more "likeable?" I feel like I have some kind of personality defect, maybe Aspergers or Social Anxiety Disorder. I doubt my ability to communicate with people, so I usually don't do anything. People greet me, for instance, and I don't immediately know how to respond.

I was thinking about going to Second City comedy school, joining Toastmasters, or getting involved in something else that would help make socializing more intuitive, but I don't seem to have time or money.
I have seen your posts on many forums. What it's going to take is to like yourself and to be comfortable "in your own skin" so to speak. That's going to take counseling and therapy. Use your time and money for that, to help find YOU. A bunch of anonymous people on the Internet won't do it for you. Once you find you, and are happy with who you are, then the pieces will fall into place, no matter what career you chose. Please find some help locally, not here. I don't mean this in a harsh way, just in a realistic way.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:

Toastmasters is only $20 every 6 months. That seems like a low price for something that will help you succeed in life. In the meantime, do you have anyone who knows you very well and will be totally honest, that you can ask how you come across to others?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Toastmasters would be great if there were one close by that met when I wasn't at work, but there isn't, to my knowledge.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Perhaps it will help for you to realize you are not alone. Thing is, you are who you are and it probably isn't all bad. For starters, you care enough to ask the question. From my own experience I'd suggest that how you are feeling in the moment would affect how you respond to your environment. For me, on a good day I could be the life of the party but on an average day I too wouldn't know how to respond - and my days were average to iffy mostly. So what I'm suggesting is taking care of how you feel. Learn the tricks as much as you can. Accept the fact that you may be a little different (not saying that you are). If you are 'different' then capitalize on it and turn it into an asset. And for that you may need some assistance such as has been suggested, counselling. You could try learning a strategy for coping with 'awkward' situations like developing a routine that you can use. But mostly, learn to accept yourself and learn to like yourself just as you are. You might well have a lot to offer those kids!

All the best and take care!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
I shouldn't still be worried about being "popular" or "well liked," but I work as a substitute teacher, and I really think personality goes a long way towards connecting with the kids. I'm more or less socially withdrawn, extremely shy, or introverted. I don't enjoy social contact much, because I feel like I'm awkward with it. I'm the kind of person who likes to do things "right." I don't like to try something new if I don't feel like I know what I'm doing. I feel like this cautiousness may be hurting my job performance, though.
Maybe you are thinking of gregarious kind of people who can indeed be fun to be around. However, that doesn't make them effective teachers. Generally, I think that if you are effective in your job, you start to become well-liked. Who doesn't like a teacher who teaches well? Socially popular, no. But popular substitute teacher, yes.

I would worry less about being right and instead try to be more effective.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 AM

Inner-city kids need a special kind of teacher who can connect with them. It would help a lot if I could learn to be gregarious and outgoing. As it stands, people I try to interact with think that I'm not interested or annoyed, for some reason. I don't come off as a very nice or interesting person. I would like to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology