Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 07:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times

Advertisements

"So you think you want a ‘strong, independent woman

This blog is written for men, talking directly to men. Men who have an interest in women (whether heterosexual or bisexual).

Even more specifically, the men who say that they want a strong, independent woman. The men who find powerful, determined women sexy."

Mod cut.

https://victimfocus.wordpress.com/20...e4k_A5RW3U9vfY

Interesting article but I have to wonder if the writer isn’t men bashing to some extent. She goes on about how men Want/must /feel the need to dominate a independent woman.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-13-2020 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation; edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 06:13 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Wow, author harbors so much anger against men. As a woman, I’m glad I’m not her. I don’t see men as enemies. In my experience I’ve had equally bad treatment from both men and women at times. In fact the one person who threatened my career is a woman.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:10 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
I feel sorry for the author. My spouse and I nurture and support each other and it makes us both stronger.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
I don't want a woman who identifies with the "strong, independent" label. I want a woman who realizes the interdependence of men and women. I want a woman that realizes that men and women are meant to collaborate and benefit each other. Those attitudes are lacking in careerist, feminist, "strong, independent" women. This is why I have made efforts over time to avoid these women.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't want a woman who identifies with the "strong, independent" label. I want a woman who realizes the interdependence of men and women. I want a woman that realizes that men and women are meant to collaborate and benefit each other. Those attitudes are lacking in careerist, feminist, "strong, independent" women. This is why I have made efforts over time to avoid these women.

Pretty sure most guys do for the same reason. No partnership possibilities there. That is why those types of women tend to stay single, but they seem happy to do so. Some people just are not cut out for a relationship. They are too wrapped up in their issues to give any consideration to another person. .

Old 01-12-2020, 08:27 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Wow. If you took that screed and simply switched the female and male references, it would get hounded as misogynist. I'm not sure the author understands what "strong" and "independent" mean. Rather what she's describing is what is more typically called a witch with a "b." That's a very different thing from being strong and independent.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:00 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
I agree with some of her points but not all of them.

If a woman is truly strong and independent, she wouldn't need OR want a man. She wouldn't date or marry. She would live on her own. And this woman seems to assume all men are out to dominate her, so she would definitely be better off with a man. A truly independent woman wouldn't waste time online griping about men, because she'd be out doing her own thing. Working her job, making her money, going places with her woman friends.

I wonder if she's had bad experiences with men and blames it on the fact that she has a highly paid career. Perhaps it wasn't her career that scared men off, it was her personality. Or possibly her looks. I really don't know. I know a woman like that who said men were scared of how intelligent she was, and her owning a home scared them off. (I seriously doubt that). But the fact was, she was a classic "KNOW IT ALL" and repelled a lot of people, both men and women alike. People didn't dislike her intelligence, they disliked her intent to dominate every conversation.

She says she doesn't "need" a man, just "wants" one. But wants and needs are often tied up together.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Wow. If you took that screed and simply switched the female and male references, it would get hounded as misogynist. I'm not sure the author understands what "strong" and "independent" mean. Rather what she's describing is what is more typically called a witch with a "b." That's a very different thing from being strong and independent.
I don't think that's what she's describing. I think it only sounds like that, because of the extra padding she puts into each paragraph, the level of emotion she brings to the topic. The basic things she says about women are just normal stuff; women have jobs or careers they love that cover their financial needs just fine, so they don't need someone to "provide for" them. Great, so? Are there that many guys out there these days, looking to be somebody's provider, anyway? Would those guys be disappointed if they found out their gf owned her own home and had her own retirement plan? I doubt that would cause them to walk away, if they were into her. And, "women don't need you, they want you"--this is earth-shaking news for men? It's 2020, for g's sake, not 1820. Don't men want to be wanted? Are they so fragile, that they'll freak out if their gf pulls out a big mechanic's tool box, and fixes the leaky faucet in the sink?

What bothered me was the photo; did the blogger choose that, or did someone else add that--was this reprinted in an article, or something? It's such a stereotypical photo. Most independent women don't look anything like that, lol. It's as if someone chose that model in order for the "strong independent" woman to look cold and scary to men, but at the same time--also sexy. Some "strong, independent" women look small and cuddly. Some look gentle and caring. Some are curvy, others aren't. Some are elegantly stylish, as the photo implies, others create their own style, still others aren't into styling. Many are "cute" rather than "sexy".

Many don't look like the domineering type, and have no interest in that. They're just quietly going about their lives, taking care of business. Most guys who think they want the "strong independent" type wouldn't even notice the existence of the real-life strong, independent types in their midst, and would have no interest in them, if someone pointed them out. The article seems to be more about the kinds of male fantasies the author has encountered or read about, or heard about from friends.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 AM

2,140 posts, read 361,644 times
I’m thoroughly underwhelmed and uninterested. I clicked the link - the imagery is silly and trite. So is the writing.

Someone wants clicks and attention.

Next?

Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
I’m thoroughly underwhelmed and uninterested. I clicked the link - the imagery is silly and trite. So is the writing.
Next?
I would say that the author didn't present any new arguments and she used a lot of cliches. There were no profound or new revelations in her writing, or interesting or unusual points of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology