Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

I have recently learned that this is common in Asian families. My nephew is about 40, and married a few years ago to a Vietnamese girl his age. They moved from Houston to SoCal where his job was.

Her family has had some tragedies so she has spent most of her married life with them back in Houston. My nephew lost his job, and his wife is rarely with him. It seems he is "OK" with it, from what his mother says, but who knows how he really feels.

Apparently in that culture, parents remain #1, and first obligations are to them, not the spouse.

My point in posting this, is to ask if anyone has run across this before? What eventually happened---divorce or just putting up with the situation? Obviously it's my nephew's choice, but I am just curious if others have experienced this, and how did it turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have recently learned that this is common in Asian families. My nephew is about 40, and married a few years ago to a Vietnamese girl his age. They moved from Houston to SoCal where his job was.

Her family has had some tragedies so she has spent most of her married life with them back in Houston. My nephew lost his job, and his wife is rarely with him. It seems he is "OK" with it, from what his mother says, but who knows how he really feels.

Apparently in that culture, parents remain #1, and first obligations are to them, not the spouse.

My point in posting this, is to ask if anyone has run across this before? What eventually happened---divorce or just putting up with the situation? Obviously it's my nephew's choice, but I am just curious if others have experienced this, and how did it turn out?

Not just Asians, but some people of other cultures put their birth families first and their significant-others second (or maybe to say last, would be more accurate).

I had a woman friend once, who had to talk to her mother long-distance for an hour every day after getting home from work, before she'd even acknowledge that I existed. I could see what the future was in that and made my escape. The odd thing was, that before we went to another state, this didn't happen.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Yes, I am aware of this. This is why it is SO important for people to realize that marrying outside of one's culture needs more consideration than marrying within one's culture. I warned my son about this when he married, he didn't listen. She expects "per her culture" and he doesn't bend - happy, happy, joy, joy, NOT!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Simply not true, especially not true with asians.
My wife is chinese, I told she she follows me , I don't follow a woman . If she doesn't support me I'd divorce her.
Don't expect a woman to believe in you if you don't believe in yourself.
That goes for any woman. Anywhere.
Lot of confused men around.I

Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
My wife is chinese, I told she she follows me , I don't follow a woman . If she doesn't support me I'd divorce her.
Do you think it is healthy for you or her to elevate yourself above her this way?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Not just Asians, but some people of other cultures put their birth families first and their significant-others second (or maybe to say last, would be more accurate).
For some cultures blood is thicker than water.
SO (can) come and go (multitudes of marriages in our society end in divorce), but parents are blood relatives, and so are siblings, and kids. At least for many families w normal/loving/caring relationship between family members, the ties are always stronger when it comes to family than people outside or added to the family. It is often associated with importance of landownership, inheritance, and social stratification. This model seem to be outdated, and more common in cultures/ethnicity where specific genogram model rules.

In modern society, generally most married people put their spouse first, their kids second and their parents third.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
I think YOU and "some" men are confused. But that doesn't apply to any woman, all men, and definitely not anywhere...

Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Do you think it is healthy for you or her to elevate yourself above her this way?
I'm sure it works GREAT for him...and maybe okay for her if she started at the absolute bottom so this is some kind of improvement, relatively speaking. I feel badly for her.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Quote:
Wow....smh

Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
What, you mean I have been doing it all wrong for over 20 years.

I am going to go tell my wife this, be right back guys, I'll let you know how it goes.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology