Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM

506 posts, read 651,695 times

Advertisements

I did not grow up seeing mountains or streams but they feed my soul now. I do not understand how anyone can fall in love with towns that are flat with no hills, mountains, streams or snowfall and are happy if the town has good restaurants and pretty homes. I need a roaring fire; not these silly gas logs. I need to be on the second floor of a house and look out the window to see a deer with a mountain backdrop. And if you don't go too far north you don't have to freeze to death for months to have these things.
Does anyone else need these dramatic signs of Nature to feel whole and content?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
It was a lifelong dream to live in natural surroundings such as you described. And I achieved it three years ago. Looking out in any direction feeds my soul.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM

I'm so happy for you. I had it for nine years but had to give it up. Or thought we did.
Now flat roadways, glaring sun most of the year, nothing on the horizon, no wood pile or fire, no wildlife no streams and no joy.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:16 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I grew up in the Berkeley (CA) hills, surrounded by creeks and oak glens. Deer would occasionally find their way onto my street. It was magical!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 AM

587 posts, read 305,110 times
Yes,

City life is dead to me.

I travel to the mountains, sometime to other states to maintain a healthy state of mind.

I may move soon just for this exact reason.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I live near the ocean, which is flat land but has its own natural magnificence. And woods and wildlife are also close by. But I do miss mountains and hills and especially rocks in the soil. I only live 60 miles from where I spent most of my life, but there is a difference in the topography.

At one time in my life I wanted to spend at least a year in NYC. I worked there but lived in NJ. But now I lost the desire. I love the city and its energy and like to visit occasionally, but living there wouldn't work for me now.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:57 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I did not grow up seeing mountains or streams but they feed my soul now. I do not understand how anyone can fall in love with towns that are flat with no hills, mountains, streams or snowfall and are happy if the town has good restaurants and pretty homes. I need a roaring fire; not these silly gas logs. I need to be on the second floor of a house and look out the window to see a deer with a mountain backdrop. And if you don't go too far north you don't have to freeze to death for months to have these things.
I feel much the same way, although I do think that there are people who just are not in tune with nature, don't pay attention to bird songs or the difference in the weather from day to day, etc., and they can be perfectly happy in an urban environment.

I used to live in a house in a city, and I would spend all the free time I could walking in a nearby park and if at home, looking out my window at the one large evergreen tree on my lawn. I used to pray that nothing ever happened to that tree, because seeing birds and squirrels hopping around and it it was the only brush with nature I could get without leaving my house, and on many days, seeing that bit of nature sustained me.

Now I live in a home where I can see real nature out my window in every direction, every day. From my house, I see all kinds of birds (including hawks, bald eagles, wild turkeys, sandhill cranes, and snow geese), lots of deer, and one thrilling time, a bobcat. At night, I often hear the hooting of owls and the bone chilling howls of coyotes. My heart feels at home at last, and my soul is at peace.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 PM

"... and one thrilling time, a bobcat." Wow. Just wow. Although that would keep me close to the house!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:12 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I have always lived someplace flat: SW Florida, Long Island and eastern NC. I have seen small mountains when we traveled to PA and they were breath taking. I sometimes imagine I live somewhere in the mountains of Colorado where I can see all kinds of wildlife. I love hearing the birds singing, it refreshes my soul as does the sound of young children laughing.

But alas I am stuck in Florida. But maybe one day I will be able to travel to Colorado.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Not me.

I love my very pleasant home in suburbia. I love my private backyard with it's trees, big patio, fire pit, hot tub, flower beds, birds and bird feeders, squirrels, and occasionally raccoons, right in the middle of suburbia. I love my little view from my front porch across a street to a park, with the blue sky above it. I love the pleasant neighborhood with it's pretty homes, wide winding streets, and big oak trees.

I love the beauty inside - I really enjoy interior decorating and I've always got some sort of project going to make my home more unique and "me." It's an extension of my personality.

Deer? I have two big, clumsy, silly dogs who keep me constantly entertained with their antics inside and out. The birds, squirrels and dogs are enough "animal action" for me.

I live in northeast Texas (my choice - we could live anywhere basically but we chose NE Texas) so we don't get much snow - and we're happy with that. One inch makes headlines around here - heck, FLURRIES make headlines (this past week for instance). I prefer no snow.

I love my gas logs and hate the hassle and mess of an indoor fireplace. Now outside in the fire pit? That's another story - I like that. But inside, I love to light the gas logs and sit by that fire for hours reading. It looks and feels real enough to me, and no mess!

We have two stories but I prefer the master bedroom to be downstairs - upstairs are our two guest rooms. They have nice views over the tree tops and across the neighborhood and the park but I'd rather not go up and down those stairs all day.

Don't get me wrong - I love a good view of nature. So we go on vacation to all sorts of interesting places. Actually, I prefer the beach over woods and warm weather over cold.

To each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology