Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

I can not repeat my recommendation to watch the 2 hour Documentary Stephen Fry made on the subject. It will answer much of what you ask here.

You can watch the entire documentary on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGDl6-lyfMY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Since Robin Williams' death, I've heard people comparing depression to cancer. I know that depression can be crippling, but it's not right to compare it to cancer. When you have terminal cancer, death is not a choice. Although depression can make you want to commit suicide, nothing is forcing you to do it. You still have that choice.
Depending on the severity of the depression, that may not be true.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Depending on the severity of the depression, that may not be true.
100% true, I've said it before, many are one circumstance, one interruption from completion sometimes. Don't think everyone with persistent, clinical types of depression that hasn't completed the deed didn't make the attempt, isn't closer to it or by sheer luck, are still as some outsiders may see it, have been pulled from the brink. There is treatment, but there isn't a cure for the disease as yet,not even shock treatments are a permanent solution, which is just a whole nother can of worms.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic072014 View Post
Money will not make you happy.
Why do successful people kill themselves?

For the very same reasons unsuccessful people kill themselves...the deepest, darkest, hopeless, and most miserable throes of despair, depression and desperation.

A man without hope is no doubt a man without fear and quite possibly a very dangerous man as well.

No, money will not make you happy but I am almost certain that the lack of money will certainly not make you happy either.

That's all I have on this one.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 PM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Thanks for posting that link. It's a good piece, and there's some insightful comments by posters after the article.
You are welcome. I thought what Cavett had to say about the "How could he leave his children" question really hit the nail on the head.

I also loved the comedy bit they played, I was laughing and had tears streaming down my face at the same time.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I assume most successful people with depression have pr have had drug problems that have lead to the depression? I could be wrong tho
No. No.

Depression leads to drug problems more often than the other way around. It's called self-medication. You have surely heard the term before.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Perhaps he committed suicide because the idea of Parkinson's was just too much for him to handle.

As we struggle to make sense of Robin Williams' death, his wife, Susan Schneider, revealed in a statement that the beloved actor was suffering from early stages of Parkinson's Disease:

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Because they're severely unhappy or in emotional pain. Some people will never be happy no matter what.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
dont get me wrong robin williams was way better than most people.
the nasty stuff his daughter said that pushed him over the edge were the acts of a selfish young person. your daddy being rich and famous will not prevent you from being a jerk. plenty of them to go around.
having said that
suicide rate in catalina is high. once you got the dough to escape LA you feel pretty secure-- yahoo !!you got rid of all the jerks. but only one more jerk to get rid of, you discover him in the mirror in the morning when you go to shave.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 PM

398 posts, read 470,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont get me wrong robin williams was way better than most people.
the nasty stuff his daughter said that pushed him over the edge were the acts of a selfish young person. your daddy being rich and famous will not prevent you from being a jerk. plenty of them to go around.
having said that
suicide rate in catalina is high. once you got the dough to escape LA you feel pretty secure-- yahoo !!you got rid of all the jerks. but only one more jerk to get rid of, you discover him in the mirror in the morning when you go to shave.
What did his daughter say? I thought she was in mourning?

Please don't make wild accusations without proof. And if you are one of those cyberbullies who bullied her on Twitter, shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology