Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 07:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We have a new one Kate Spade. Talk about success.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/05/siste...ion-for-years/
Money is a poor measure of success.
They failed miserably where it counts.
Not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 07:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic072014 View Post

Money will not make you happy

Comedian Robin Williams dead - CNN.com
Robin Williams had severe health problems - he had Lewy Body Dementia
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It was not a matter of being happy or not nor having money.

He was losing many of his faculties and suffering with the effects of Lewy Body Dementia.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:25 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Money is a poor measure of success.
They failed miserably where it counts.
They "failed miserably where it counts"?

You obviously have absolutely no idea what clinical depression is, much less any knowledge about the genetic predisposition to this disorder.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:14 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Robin Williams had severe health problems - he had Lewy Body Dementia
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It was not a matter of being happy or not nor having money.

He was losing many of his faculties and suffering with the effects of Lewy Body Dementia.
Thanks for posting that link. I knew he had was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia , I did not realize he had already been suffering the symptoms for a year.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, I saw that on the news. This sounds mean, no doubt, but that's just cowardice on her part. She should have taken her butt to treatment, business be damned. I just can't feel sorry for her.
What you seem to be missing is that when someone is in a black hole of depression they literally cannot see a way out. They can't get their butts anywhere, nor do they see a reason to. Depressed people are not in the right head space to reach out, and that is when tragedies happen.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:49 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
On this subject of black hole of depression, I lived thru it for 10 yrs, how black it was -- it was bad enough...and over 10 yrs about 5 doctors failed me by NOT getting to the route of my issue -- thyroid...they all were going by numbers, feeling around my throat, swallowing glass of water and continue with A/D drugs. Saying my thyroid was fine.

Then finally my old time back D.O. doctor found my relief with his call in for thyroid support and all those 10 yrs of depression lifted...

Wonder about these people and what kinds of doctors they saw, did they get to the ones "who knew more"...etc etc. So many MD's miss SO MUCH and especially in this number medical world.

With all their resources one would think they can go everywhere for help, but who knows...many just stay with mainstream MD's and their numbers.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-10-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Wonder when the US will legalize euthanasia. 2040? Impossible to project. Too many religious obstacles in the way in this moronic country of (I presume) ours.
You're probably right. Culture is even more powerful than economics. Even if big-business were to collude in some way, to shape consumer preferences and laws, all for the advancement of profits,... even then, if what business advocates is contrary to the culture, the latter will prevail. In American culture, there is no only an unrelenting sense of optimism, where anyone who's not optimistic is a fool and a degenerate, but also, a belief that a providential and righteous entity oversees it all. And of one believes that, than hastening one's death, even if already elderly and in diminished health, is a gross affront against the universe.

What is especially frustrating, is that even as people grow more skeptical about traditional mores and restrictions, about traditional authority and doctrine, they nevertheless can't supersede the deeply-rooted emotional attachments that guide behavior and which provide (as is assumed) moral guidance. Thus, even a more secular America, that rejects church-influence and a form of morality that's handed down from bibles and preachers, would still shirk from acceptance of suicide as being something rational.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:06 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, I saw that on the news. This sounds mean, no doubt, but that's just cowardice on her part. She should have taken her butt to treatment, business be damned. I just can't feel sorry for her.

I hated when Freddie Prinze took himself out. I just felt he should not have done that. Life is really short anyway, why not tough it out. During WWI, Gertrude Stein and Alice Toklas drove an ambulance. Stein wrote, one thinks of committing suicide but you want to see what happens next. I've suffered a lot like most human beings, but I doubt I'd ever do that to myself. Maybe I'm just lucky because of an innate optimism, but I don't want to hurt the people who love me. You're going to die eventually anyway, why not have a little frikkin courage. Pain is only pain; it can be managed.

Depressed? Unhappy? Forget about YOURSELF: focus on helping other people. Figure out what your gifts are, polish and refine them for a lifetime, and share them with others. Too much navel-gazing and self-absorption.
First off, most people who commit suicide aren't looking for sympathy - and obviously once they're dead, they couldn't care less if you feel sorry for them or not. But at the very least, it's kind to show compassion for those they left behind, instead of going on about how cowardly/weak or selfish they were. If Kate Spade's daughter were reading this thread, how do you think that would make her feel? Hard enough to lose a mother this way, let alone to deal with such cold statements about her.

It's also obvious that you've never suffered from clinical depression, or you'd have some empathy and understanding of how the depressed brain works... I mean, you even said yourself that you're "innately optimistic," which is kind of the exact opposite. This isn't about being sad sometimes, or even having experienced trauma, but rather HOW your brain processes everything. And no offense, but telling someone to "suck it up" or giving empty advice like "help others" is fairly useless. Do you really think anyone would continue down the rabbit hole (of depression) if it were that easy to overcome? Doubtful.

Anyway, I just wish people would understand that mental illness usually has a neurological component, where the brain functions differently than most. They've done enough studies on this, including digital brain mapping, that you'd think awareness would be more widespread. Bottom line: Without medication and/or psychotherapy (preferably both) it's nearly impossible to overcome a serious mental illness, and even with them it's not a guarantee.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-10-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
who says robin williams is successfull?

He was a numero uno loser, no real family no real friends

lack of money creates unhappiness

too much money does not create happiness

learn this
I know this post is quite old, but I do want to say something in Robin Williams' defense. While I never met him personally, many people I know (including my brother) did, since one of his children went to my elementary school... and he was widely known around here as a wonderful human being, with kindness and compassion beyond what you normally see even in non-celebs. He volunteered his time to read to the kids at our school, and would occasionally visit unexpectedly just to cheer up the students! I've literally never heard anyone say a negative word about the man, so I sincerely doubt he was the "lonely loser" you seem to think he was. Jealous much?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:28 PM

FYI: For those who still believe mental illness can be overcome with "positive thinking," exercise, or the like. Not saying those things can't HELP, but they're unlikely to FIX anything.

(original source Mayo Clinic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology