Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did I ever claim otherwise? I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the former, which I’m pretty sure includes clinical depression... but what would you consider a “mind-based illness” instead?
Mind based illness is what you get if you live a lie. The truth doesnt change and if we set a course where we are in conflict with truth then its just a matter of time.
A person who is extremely self centered but is convinced they dont really harm anyone will not fare well long term. A mind that lies to itself will be sick. This sort of illness is self caused. Its got nothing to do with chemical imbalance or "my neurons made me do it".

"The most significant problems in your life cannot be solved by the same thinking that caused them"
Einstein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Most people are surprised when successful people kill themselves yet it is not unusual. To be surprised that means you must really buy into materialism and believe that it is the root of all happiness.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Here’s what many people — many lucky people — don’t understand about depression. It doesn’t matter how much money you have in the bank; it doesn’t matter how beautiful you are, or how popular, or how successful. Depression doesn’t care. It is like demonic possession. Actually, it is possession. You lose your agency. You lose perspective. You are in a dark tunnel, and it just keeps getting narrower and darker until you can see only one option, one way to end unbearable pain. It doesn’t seem selfish; it doesn’t seem sad. It looks like the light at the end of the tunnel, and it feels like relief."

Posting a hotline number isn't enough. Break down doors to prevent a suicide

Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
I could never watch even the 5-second ads of Bourdain's shows on CNN, would switch them off. Let alone the shows. His appearance, even in those 5 seconds, was screaming at me that something was terribly off. I am wondering, was I alone in noticing this? How could people not FEEL the heaviness, but instead would celebrate the topic of the show? I could never get through to the topic, his whatever was happening with him was bothering me.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:56 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
stress and depression are big killers.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I could never watch even the 5-second ads of Bourdain's shows on CNN, would switch them off. Let alone the shows. His appearance, even in those 5 seconds, was screaming at me that something was terribly off. I am wondering, was I alone in noticing this? How could people not FEEL the heaviness, but instead celebrating the topic of the show? I could never to get through to the topic, his whatever was happening with him was bothering me.
I tried to like his show; the international perspectives are sort of beguiling. But it frequently occurred to me that eating all that weird stuff plus the alcohol, could not be healthy for him. The last show I watched, he was with a group of men in the middle East and they killed a goat and ate it, right after its murder.

Horrible. At least to me. Imagine how the goat felt. Often animals are raised as if they are family, children play with them, they have names and personalities, and then suddenly someone grabs them and cuts their throats.

It seems to me that a lot of times people have poor diets, consume too much alcohol, and are very unbalanced physically, which affects their mental state. If they were to clean all that junk out of their bodies, pursue some spiritual practice, the depression might dissipate.

Life Lessons from Anthony Bourdain: How He Developed His Iron Professionalism, Achieved Creative Freedom & Learned from Failure in Food & Drink, Life | June 14th
http://www.openculture.com/2018/06/l...pen+Culture%29

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-14-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 02:29 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I could never watch even the 5-second ads of Bourdain's shows on CNN, would switch them off. Let alone the shows. His appearance, even in those 5 seconds, was screaming at me that something was terribly off. I am wondering, was I alone in noticing this? How could people not FEEL the heaviness, but instead would celebrate the topic of the show? I could never get through to the topic, his whatever was happening with him was bothering me.
I agree. He had a dark energy that I didn't like. In real life I avoid people like him.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I agree. He had a dark energy that I didn't like. In real life I avoid people like him.
That's an illusion though. We think we know celebrities because of the persona they present. We were all shocked when Robin Williams killed himself because we wrongly believed we know him from his movies and zany late night talk show interviews. Same with Chris Cornell who many people thought had the perfect life -- great voice, great family, great looks....

Full disclosure. I didn't know who Bourdain was before last Friday.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
People kill themselves for a variety of reasons. Depression does not discriminate. And we do not know the trials and tribulations any of us are going through.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Turns out Anthony Bourdain killed himself because of his girlfriend who he was in love with.

Just a day or two before he killed himself, an Italian magazine printed pics of his girlfriend dancing intimately & closely in Rome with Hugo Clement, a 28 year old journalist - and while dancing they were nuzzling each other’s necks, and one pic looked like they might be kissing.

And also just a couple days before Bourdain killed himself, the Daily Mail UK printed pics of his girlfriend holding hands with 28 yr old Hugo while walking in Rome together and hugging closely - but it was the holding hands & looking happy & involved.

This shattered Bourdain.

Bourdain & the girlfriend had just come off of a Hong Kong travel log for CNN where Bourdain had the girlfriend direct the entire episode (her name is Asia & she’s an Italian actress & apparently director too) And she & Bourdian had recently spent time in Florence Italy together.

Friends say Bourdain was giddy in love with her before all the pics came out a day or two before he killed himself.

An Australian photographer had sold the dancing intimately pics to the Italian magazine called Chi.
This photographer has now apologized because he feels he made Bourdain kill himself over seeing the pics.

I saw the dancing intimately pics on the web one day before they were removed and taken down – they have now been taken down from the web – because it’s obvious Bourdain killed himself over those pics.

The pics which the Daily Mail UK printed are still there on the web, at the Daily Mail website.

Bourdain and the girlfriend had been together about 18 months or so. First met in Nov 2016 when she appeared on one of Bourdain’s Italy episodes – and then started being together since Jan 2017.

Bourdain probably felt betrayed and also at age 61 he probably felt he couldn’t compete with 28 yr old Hugo Clement. Asia, the girlfriend, is 42.

Bourdain was obviously fragile emotionally.

He was also very very physically tired and sapped of energy from traveling 250 days per year every year (for many years) for his CNN show called 'Parts Unknown' and for his previous TV travel shows, and he was lonely due to spending 250 nights per year in hotel rooms alone (hotel rooms can be very lonely), and an Italian villa alone - he mentioned his loneliness.

When in a group therapy session for former addicts (he did heroin & cocaine and was formerly addicted) he said that he feels he maybe has a character flaw, a genetic predisposition, and an emptiness which had led him to drugs in his past.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-14-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology