Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 02:33 PM

13 posts, read 10,263 times

Advertisements

As on here and social media , are you the same person that you would be in real life?

I would say I am much more talkative online sites than in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 03:08 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeyCakey View Post
As on here and social media , are you the same person that you would be in real life?

Same for me. I'm WAAAAAAAAAYYY more verbose online than real life.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Thought this has come up a few times before.

In business, I watch my tongue. There are ways to say things, in a team environment, to promote high performance in others and inspire confidence. I choose my words, though not to an extreme. Think of President Obama, with his little 'ah' pauses when he was really thinking about what he was saying. I respected that, he was an expert message creator. The content, another matter, but no mind.

Mod cut.

Here, I just write things. Sometimes I double back and turn it down a notch, which I can still edit a post. Couple times, I've been yelled at by mods, which does compel one to think about the tone and timbre. I am contemptuous of weakness in character, here and in real life. In real life, I'll walk away from it or run verbal gymnastics around the poor sod, though that's not so much amusement as sadism. Not the greatest use of anyone's time. Here, when I run it out to the logical conclusion, suddenly I'm the "bad guy." Pfffft.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2019 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Political commentary. Save it for the Politics forum.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:29 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I'm pretty much the same person online as I am in real life.

I mean, I don't discuss some of the things with some of the people I know, like at work, that I would talk freely about here, or among my friends. But I also get to use plenty of profanity among my friends that I cannot use here. Different filters for different audiences, but I'm still basically the same person nonetheless. And the message is probably more or less the same, as well, even if I say it a little differently...

At work: "I volunteered to help with a huge fundraising event for charity over the weekend. I'm exhausted!"
Here: "I volunteered to help with a fundraising event for various LGBTQ+ and lifestyle organizations over the weekend, and we raised over $10K...it was quite a party but I'm exhausted! I'm getting too old for this!"
Among friends: "Did you hear that we raised over $10K at Exile? <bleep> yeah we did! Have you seen the photos yet?"

Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
I'm the same, in most ways. I used to be far more timid and I think the internet has changed me. My interactions with people online actually helped me to metamorphose from a mouse into a tiger.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:34 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
I used to be way more sociable in "real life" than I am online. I used to be more prone to anger, too. Now social media or text is actually the way I keep up with more people. The older I get the less likely I am to answer phone calls, sometimes even from people in my contact list. On here, I am more apt to share an opinion that others may not share than in real life where if someone tries to bring up a political issue with me, I am more likely to nod my head and seem to agree no matter whether I am agreeing at not

Old 08-31-2019, 07:41 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I am nicer on forums because I am a mod. In real life, I have no patience or understanding with people who lack common sense, are rude or act stupid by choice.
I am not active on any social media, but I am a mod on other forums.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 PM

652 posts, read 680,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeyCakey View Post

I would say I am more talkative online than I am in real life

Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
No. In "real life," I am much friendlier.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:26 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Yes.

I would never say anything to anyone online that I wouldn't be prepared to say to them directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology