Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

I can't cuss as much here as I do in real life. But yeah, this is pretty much me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 08:44 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
I asked a friend who knows me in real life (not a close friend but an acquaintance) and from a forum where we met. She said I’m very similar but much warmer in real life.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Yeah, I'm the same person, but I do present myself differently in different situations.
For instance, years ago I took an online optimism test and scored 52% optimistic and 48% pessimistic. When I shared the results, my coworkers said I was much more optimistic. The close friends I carpooled with said I was more pessimistic.

So it's not just online vs in person, it varies from group to group.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:03 PM

11,796 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeyCakey View Post
As on here and social media , are you the same person that you would be in real life?

I would say I am much more talkative online sites than in real life.
More talkative online? Your post history is basically one-liners.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
More talkative online? Your post history is basically one-liners.
Maybe that's talkative for Cakey. Most of my posts here are short, but sometimes a lot of thought has gone into that statement.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Online I found many places where I can share my opinions and experiences. In real life there doesn't seem to be as much opportunity to express yourself.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
This is the only forum I am involved in. I try to stay generic online. At first I didn't reveal my gender. I don't discuss where I work, live, my age. I don't engage in controversial or political discussions. In real life I am very involved in my work and various activities. I tend to poke fun of trolls and spammers online because of some of the silliness I see (especially in the fitness forum). In real life I try my hardest to be considerate to everyone.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
If you thought I was an idiot on City Data Forum, you should meet me. I am even more of an idiot in person.

Oh wait, forgot to add the LOL.

Then again I do look thinner in person than I do here.

Oh wait, you can't see me. I guess you will have to take my word for it.

You do get at least 30% of the real me here that you would get in person.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I'm pretty much the same person on line as I am in person. I enjoy "hearing" so many different voices and perspectives joined in a conversation that would be unlikely to happen in person. On a forum, one person can't as easily dominate a discussion - and if you don't like their attitude, you can just move on to the next posting. On the other hand, even the most quiet and less forward has a chance to speak and be heard, whereas in person sometimes they are drowned out by the more outgoing or outspoken.

I'm probably more verbose online than in person - you get a chance to get your thoughts out to make a point. I think I'm fairly direct and never write or say things that I don't think, feel or believe - and I'm not very confrontational or aggressive - both online and in person.
You make some good points. I like reading various points of view in a thread, and like to hear things I’ve never considered. Of course you read some nonsense, as well.

I am more likely to call out what I consider nonsense here, than I am in real life. I have to get along with people face to face, although I have said, “I disagree.” I will not argue with people in person, although I might try to present an alternate view. But most of my personal interactions are not serious.

In fact in my personal interactions, I laugh a lot and make cheerful small talk. I don’t do that here nearly as much. In my working life, I learned to put on a cheerful public persona, and I do it instinctively now.

I have written in this forum about personal family stuff that I never would talk about to friends.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I'm exactly same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology