Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times

Advertisements

What is "standard knowledge". How do you obsess about something like that? I think same thoughts every day...get cappucinno, lose weight, have fun etc. Do I not have this so called "standard knowledge"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Using standard knowledge to get dates....

is losing weight/getting knowledge key to getting dates??

Can getting standard knowledge help me get dates?

How can one get standard knowledge?

on the path to knowledge!!

did others get dating tips when young?

Yes, some people do get obsessive thoughts, and sometimes they need to seek professional help. If you keep coming back under a different name, and asking the same kinds of questions about your obsessive idea, that will not help you.

Hmmm . . . . well that sucks . . . .I strongly suspect this poster has a psychotic disorder. . . . .

And still, I REALLY want to know what "standard knowledge" means. I wonder if s/he knows.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Hmmm . . . . well that sucks . . . .I strongly suspect this poster has a psychotic disorder. . . . .

And still, I REALLY want to know what "standard knowledge" means. I wonder if s/he knows.
I have a feeling he means what is really common sense, the ability to read and understand social cues, things like that. He is probably somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum and struggles with this rather than having it come naturally like most people, but rather than get help he believes this social sense is being stolen/hidden from him somehow. That he was supposed to be taught it (vs being born without social communication issues) and somehow ripped off because he was not born with a natural ability to understand social cues and interaction.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have a feeling he means what is really common sense, the ability to read and understand social cues, things like that. He is probably somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum and struggles with this rather than having it come naturally like most people, but rather than get help he believes this social sense is being stolen/hidden from him somehow. That he was supposed to be taught it (vs being born without social communication issues) and somehow ripped off because he was not born with a natural ability to understand social cues and interaction.
Hmmm maybe, but the whining about "standard knowledge" is always accompanied by paranoid outbursts that no one wants him to have it, we are all angry at him, we are purposely withholding it, etc. So I do think there is some psychosis there.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hmmm maybe, but the whining about "standard knowledge" is always accompanied by paranoid outbursts that no one wants him to have it, we are all angry at him, we are purposely withholding it, etc. So I do think there is some psychosis there.
Oh, there definitely is, but I do think that is what he is talking about, and doesn't understand that it's not something taught by others but either inherent or not, like common sense cannot be taught. I think his whole issue is based on anger that it's "common" sense (knowledge) meaning most people possess it, and since he does not possess it, in his paranoia he feels it must be some conspiracy to withhold the information from him. Really sad, because he could improve his life if he focused on that rather than on being a victim.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
But most of his complaining about not having "standard knowledge" is not about day to day interaction and reading normal social cues. It's about not getting dates with women. He's obviously doing or saying things that are really off-putting to women, and he blames it on this special "knowledge" that's being withheld from him.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
But most of his complaining about not having "standard knowledge" is not about day to day interaction and reading normal social cues. It's about not getting dates with women. He's obviously doing or saying things that are really off-putting to women, and he blames it on this special "knowledge" that's being withheld from him.
It's all the same social skills for making friends as getting dates, I don't think he had many friends or much social life even outside of dating. Guys focus on that, saying "I can't get girls to like me" when really often it's their social skills/life skills in general that are off. But somehow they expect women to be more forgiving of their flaws and lack of social skills than the rest of the world, and get angry at the world and especially women for it...rather than exploring how to improve their social skills in general, which would result in them getting more dates naturally as well as a much happier and more successful life, they go to PUA and all these other resources which are basically "how to fake having good social skills and to fool a girl into thinking you have high social value long enough to get her into bed". Then that doesn't work, and they go back to complaining about how unfair the world is to them and how they are victims.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 14,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I get social cues fine....If anything, I have very strong intuition and this enhances this...I know what people think of me long before they ever tell me.....And when I do find out, I find my suspicions are exact. This is based on all social cues/communications...and nobody I know in the real world has ever said I don't get social cues.....

But it's a fact that there is knowledge of a living standard, and not having it stops me from getting dates.....and it's a fact it's hidden but freely available to others...can this be unproven? For instance, you passively aggressively lambaste me for being supposedly autistic, when you have shown great empathy for many others whom have said they are...I never have. You may cite this as another symptom, I don't, but then you have to show me when Obama or whoever the President was when you were born the social arbitrator...I don't think any good psychologist or even psychiatrist would say such thing exists, outside high school (you've said you're young...so it figures, I know how it was then socially).

Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Because it's not that women are different, I don't believe they are to men by that much. it's because everybody else got the higher skills to interact, like knowing more advanced points of how to get on. This is how people connect, and they use this to get on and interact and get dates, they always have.... Most people of similar age to me I know get dates, and it's because they get on/were told this knowledge... I have a dance teacher I know who has a new bf, and she was told/has this higher knowledge. It's how people connect. Most of my cousins do too, and my bro would if he didn't have a taxing job. We're all in our 30s, some early 40s, and it's a fact most people got this when younger...I simply want in.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

I only care because I have many aims in other areas....and it's a fact I was denied skills as a youth that many others got freely. nothing wrong with redressing the balance, right? nobody in my school smiled a lot, people were grim and bullies/non-friendly, so it's self-evident there was some plot. I didn't grow up in the USA, but then in my country schools were similar in social structure....sorry, this was passed on freely, i want in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology